Do you take the time to welcome new members?

?

Do you take the time to welcome new members?

1. Yes. Please explain.

22 vote(s)
    88.0%
  2. No. Please explain

3 vote(s)
    12.0%
  1. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

I'm really curious.

Do you take the time to welcome new members before jumping in with advice?

If you do, why?

If you don't, why not?

2. orbelina Member Member

I just have now lol...I don't usually as I consider myself to still be a new member and don't want to think I may have given the wrong advice to someone...but some days I'm slightly more confident than others and today is one of those days lol ;)

3. Dlondon95 Well Known Member Member

I try to welcome every new member that I see post.

I also try not to jump right in and tell them things they are doing wrong, if any, but if it's really bad (like an oscar in a 10g or something like that), I just ask them about it and try to find out a little more info.

4. toosie Well Known Member Member

Yes I do and if I catch myself not welcoming them I edit my post to do so.

I think somebody new to the forum may feel out of place and if it's their first time posting on a forum they may even be a tad nervous. Welcoming them can help alleviate that and let them know they ARE welcome to the group. The first thing they shouldn't hear is negative remarks. If you have to say something they may not like to hear, a Welcome may help to show the advice you are giving them is done with good intentions and not just being critical. Besides, it's just plain rude not to.

5. I keep fish Well Known Member Member

Yes I do it just matters,If there asking a question I no, I welcome them and then get to the advice if its something im clueless about I just say Welcome to Fishlore.

6. Lexi03 Well Known Member Member

I try to, although sometimes I forget to look at the post count and realize it too late if I am the first person responding( or atleast the first person before I start typing, lots of times there will be a few post posted while I am busy typing.)

7. kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

If a new member posts a thread with a question, and I answer, I always start my reply with a "Welcome to FishLore!" or something to that effect. But I usually do not reply to "introducing myself" threads with just a "welcome," because I don't want it to seem like I'm trying to artificially inflate my post count... :)

8. Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

Yes, I always try to remember to Welcome them. I have caught myself getting ahead of the game and not.... but then I go back and add it into the text.

9. TmacD Member Member

I always try to welcome new members. sometimes I space it because I just get right into brass tacks. One thing that I always try to do is only interject into threads with advice that I am absolute in. Hence, why my post total isn't the highest. I believe that people should only get the best advice that they can.

I have noticed as of late that more experience members seem to be getting frustrated with the barrage of questions from new members and/or new members ask for advice, but are stubborn and don't want to follow the advice given.

I would think it would be awesome if there was a new members thread that instructs them on what is needed before you ask advice. say a step by step plan of filling out aquarium info, reading sticky threads about popular topics, and using the built in google search to try to research and figure out the problem first.....then throw it out for discussion.

I see a lot of "I'm new here...have no idea what I'm doing...teach me" going on. I remember not that long ago when I was a newbie, but I did research and nagivagted through the site, and when I had something happening that I couldn't find an answer to, then I would ask.

When I hire freelance labor I give them a short quiz of basic questions so i know where there knowledge and skill set is. Maybe they could take a quiz about water paramaters and the nitrogen cycle, etc that could be housed in there profile so people know where individual members are at as far as their fish keeping skills. Members could also retake that same quiz as they wish to prove that they are learning.

That's the coolest thing to me about this forum. It is a great learning tool. so many use it as a quick faq though.

10. Dino Fishlore VIP Member

First impressions are very important.
    If a person feels welcomed, they are more likely to stay.

11. catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

Very nicely put!

I too try to welcome newer members. Sometimes new members have multiple threads so it may appear they have not been properly greeted.

12. snapper Well Known Member Member

I rarely look at post count so I usually don't realize someone is new until I see someone else welcome them. Oops!

13. sirdarksol Fishlore Legend Member

I try. However, I don't always notice the low post count, so I miss people when I'm responding to them. I agree with Dino. A friendly image/first impression is important.

14. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

I try to make sure I welcome each new member to the forum, thou I am trying to get better about noticing lower post counts from those that have not posted a welcome thread.

15. ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

There are plenty of stickies in the forums that instruct/guide people on how to use the forums. But these are only good if people choose to read them ;)

I try my best to welcome new comers.

It's easy if they have posted a message in the Welcome forums, otherwise, assuming I notice the low post count, I'll welcome them in their thread.

16. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Same here. I'd sure hate to be scolded for what I'm doing before I've even had the chance to try to make it right!

:)

17. ploopy Member Member

I dont look at peoples post count so I would say no.

18. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

I always welcome under 6 or 7 posts...and sometimes I end up welcoming them twice LOL (different posts thank god) I also sometimes have to edit my post if I didnt notice their newness. ( I have a ton of brunette moments unfortunately)

But nothing worse for me, than to see anyone "jumped" on with advice, as most new members are having issues that MOST of us had. Hence why MOST of us joined FL to begin with.

19. Donnerjay Well Known Member Member

Yes, I like to welcome newcomers. I really like to welcome newcomers. :sign0016:

I really, really like to welcome them. I found myself welcoming them and then going back and deleting my welcome message so I wouldn't keep reading their opening thread and subsequent replies LOL.

20. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I welcome new members when I am responding to their thread, or when I notice a new member posting in a thread. However, I don't post in "Hi I'm new" threads.