Do you see anything wrong???

Discussion in 'Platy' started by marina3, Apr 13, 2010.

1. marina3Valued MemberMember

This is one of 3 platties I got on 3/28. It died (do u think it was a male?) 2 days ago.:-\ Out of the 3, he (?) was always the most "calm", swimming in short intervals and becoming active only during feeding times. Then it will just stay on the bottom. Does it look unhealthy to you all? The only thing that I could notice different from the other 2, is the very back of his body was kind of "longer" than the other 2 platties and it had a very little "bump" right before the fin... Thanks for your help!
    ps- 10 gal tank with 2 platties, 3 neons,1 glolight, 1 cory & 1 ADF. Water levels within range. Feed flakes and algae waffers.20% pwc weekly.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 13, 2010
  2. e_watson09

e_watson09Well Known MemberMember

Well if this is the tank in your aquarium info that has serpea tetras in it as well you're way over stocked. That could have caused stress to this fish. What are your readings right now?

3. OP
    OP
    m

marina3Valued MemberMember

I am so sorry!!! I need to update my tank habitants on my profile!!! What I described in my post is exactly what I have right now....This tank has have so many problems (hemm...mainly, ME!) i went thru cycling WITH fish, I overfed them, all with the BEST INTENTIONS!!! God knows all the research I have done, frustration, visits to different LFS trying to find what to do, while my fish were dying...Never lost ALL fish at once, but since I started Sept 2009, I have lost 1 fish or so every 2 months. The ones that have been more resiliant are actually the 3 neons & 1 glolight. They have been in the tank since end of February, and they look really nice. But overall, I have never had more than 8 small fish at once. Other fish that have perished :-[ are: 2 guppies, 2 mollies, 2 bleeding hearts & 3 serpaes. Please note that all these fish were NOT together at once when it happened... Thank you e_watson 09!!! I am going to update my tank info now...

Last edited: Apr 13, 2010
  4. RhanWell Known MemberMember

Sorry to hear about the death of your platy :(

I'm no expert on diseases or anything, but I do notice it's fins look like they could be clamped? Or is it just the picture was taken while the fish was swimming fast across the tank?

Clamped fins are usually a sign of stress of some sort, which could be caused by many things. Have you tested the water?

You haven't had him very long, he could have been unwell already when you bought him :(

5. Aquarist

AquaristFishlore LegendMember

Good morning,

I agree with Rhan and the fish appears to have clamped fins. I see in your profile that you have an ammonia reading of .25. Keep in mind that any amount of ammonia present in your tank can be fatal. Maybe not immediately but the fish can suffer long term side effects.

I suggest daily water changes of 30 to 50% add some Prime or Amquel + to detox the ammonia for 24 hours until it's time for the next water change. Keep up with the daily water changes until you have 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and under 20 nitrates. One reason you may be showing nitrates is because your water right from the tap can have nitrates also.

After you add a chemical to detox the ammonia wait 24 hours to test again so that you have accurate readings.

For one reason or another, your tank either isn't cycled or is going through a mini cycle. If it's a mini cycle it may not take long to regain your readings of 0, 0, under 20.

I also see an ammonia reading in one of your Betta tanks. I suggest you do the same for it.

Best of luck. So sorry for your losses.

Ken

6. OP
    OP
    m

Ahhhh!!! :;fruI have to keep up with the info on omy profile!!! LOL!!! No, the tank has no signs of ammonia at this moment, nor the betta's tank. Last reading was last Saturday. I do use Prime to treat my water. Very interesting about the "clamped fins"! I have read many times about it, but not know exactly what it looked like, and now that you guys mention it...YES! his/her fins were more "tight" compared to the other 2 platties...I remember now thinking about it....so that is what "clamped fins" look like!...Yes, in reality, from the very begining he/she showed a much "calmer" disposition than the other 2 platties...while the other 2 were swimming and following each other around, this one will stay put at one spot...most of the time in a "hidding place',coming out just to eat...so I knew that something was just not right... Can you tell if it was a male or female? I am asking so I can deduce by your answer the sex of the other 2...I think the LFS had gave me 2 females and 1 male. Thank you so much for the help!!! Will this tank EVER finish to cycle????!!!! :;fru

7. OP
    OP
    m

Thank you Ken! I will retest today.

8. Aquarist

AquaristFishlore LegendMember

Hello,
    the above link will help you in sexing the platy's. :)
    Ken

9. OP
    OP
    m

Thank you Rhan!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice