Do you Remove your Fish During Water Changes?

Whitelightning

Do you keep your fish in your tank while performing partial water changes, or do you take your fish out and put it in a separate bowl of tank water while changing out the water? Thanks!

Jayce0

Nope! It may seem scary for them, but neither of my bettas really freak out at all. They notice something's going on but they just swim around casually. Taking them out will actually stress them out far more (from my experience..).

AvaTheFish

Nope! They just stay in there and avoid the vacume. They dont really even stress out considering they are used to it from the pet store or me doing it. However, if your fish totally freaks out, or if you have a tiny tank, I would take it out, but IMO, that stresses the fish out even more.

Whitelightning

Jayce0 said:
Nope! It may seem scary for them, but neither of my bettas really freak out at all. They notice something's going on but they just swim around casually. Taking them out will actually stress them out far more (from my experience..).
Thank you so much for your response! Okay, I agree. I used to take them out, but realized it must have been stressing them so I stopped.
AvaTheFish said:
Nope! They just stay in there and avoid the vacume. They dont really even stress out considering they are used to it from the pet store or me doing it. However, if your fish totally freaks out, or if you have a tiny tank, I would take it out, but IMO, that stresses the fish out even more.
Thank you so much for your response! Okay, that has also been my experience; it tends to stress the fish out.

betta06

definitely keep them taking them out will just cause unnecessary stress.
plus the fish dont seem to mind the water changes one of my bettas poisidon will actually bite the gravel syphon!

barbiespoodle

Oh my word, NO!

With 5 tanks that constitute, hundreds if not close to a 1000 if you consider the unseen baby shrimp and live bearer fry, various aquatic life, that would be one of those nightmare generating things.

But to get serious. I do weekly water changes in all the tanks and more than that in the small cory cat fry grow out tank because it is such a small tank, and small tanks require more care. It's really all a matter of how you do water changes.

First I rarely never do more than 40%, most often 25%, which leaves plenty of water in the tank for the aquatic life.

Second, since most of my tanks have babies, especially the shrimp tanks, I put a fine mesh media bag over the intake of the syphon. This way I don't suck up any babies. Now this won't work if you want to clean the substrate, but it works for me since my tanks are all planted and I want all that gunk in the substrate to feed the plants. If your tank is decorated with plastic, then you should do a vacuum of the substrate. But that's not a big deal. When I was all plastic, it really wasn't difficult, just took more attention as you did it. IMHO, going all live has actually made my tank care so much easier, for basic care on 5 tanks, I can get it all done in an hour and I can even skip a week or two if need be.

Another thing I do want to mention is that I unplug all heaters before I do the water change. A plugged in heater out of water is just asking for it's glass to crack, not a good thing, not to mention expensive to replace it. I have learned to keep the heater plug right where it's easy to reach and well marked. At my advanced age, the hardest part is remembering to plug them back in since I do all the tanks at the same time, lol.

Hope this helps and makes your aquatic life keeping easier. Believe me, at my age and all too hectic life, easy is always better. Plus it makes this love of mine far more enjoyable, tank care really is more of a stress reliever, not a stress maker for me.

BabsandLoon

Nope. I leave them in. The goldfish enjoy it and play in the stream when I'm putting the water back in. When I'm vacuuming and taking water out they just swim around and nibble at the intake tube trying to eat whatever gunk is being sucked up :rolleyes:

JettsPapa

barbiespoodle said:
Another thing I do want to mention is that I unplug all heaters before I do the water change. A plugged in heater out of water is just asking for it's glass to crack, not a good thing, not to mention expensive to replace it. I have learned to keep the heater plug right where it's easy to reach and well marked. At my advanced age, the hardest part is remembering to plug them back in since I do all the tanks at the same time, lol.
I have the same problem. That's why I placed all mine low enough in the tanks that I don't need to unplug them during normal water changes. If I don't unplug them I can't forget to plug them back in.

barbiespoodle

JettsPapa said:
I have the same problem. That's why I placed all mine low enough in the tanks that I don't need to unplug them during normal water changes. If I don't unplug them I can't forget to plug them back in.
A lesson I have learned in my later years of aquatic life keeping.

I do have two heaters that are meant to be and must be, totally submersed and those make tank day a lot easier in that I don't have to worry about unplugging them, I never take that much water out of a tank. And I do prefer them for the simple reason that they are so easy to hide in the decorations.

But I also have 2 old school heaters that can not be submersed, and can't afford to replace them while they still work, especially the larger one in the 55 gallon. That is the reason I put in the precaution.

Bettamay

For me, it depends on the fish. My late betta was terrified by the cleaning device, and was much better off in a cup, but my current betta hates the cup so I leave him in. If he doesn’t mind the water change leave him/her in is what I say. Only if he/she doesn’t like it take him/her out.

Mhamilton0911

I do with one fish only. It's my betta pal who's been battling fin rot, and he's now in a bare bottom qt tank. I scoop him into a 4cup plastic measuring cup. He happily swims in, he gets fed in there, and I change 100% of his qt tank. I then lower the cup and let him swim out. This is a special case since all treatments were not helping him. This is only a temporary measure. All my other tanks get regular treatment and all the fish play in the new water's current.

barbiespoodle

BabsandLoon said:
Nope. I leave them in. The goldfish enjoy it and play in the stream when I'm putting the water back in. When I'm vacuuming and taking water out they just swim around and nibble at the intake tube trying to eat whatever gunk is being sucked up :rolleyes:
My darling little otto cats in the shrimp tanks also love to play in the stream when I'm refilling with the python automatic system. During the last tank day I got so engrossed watching them I almost overfilled the tank. But in my defense, they were just too cute to not watch as they played in the stream.

Whitelightning

JeremyW said:
My white cloud mountain minnows seem like they enjoy it. They're always poking around the end of the gravel vac.
Interesting! Thanks for the response, I appreciate it!
betta06 said:
definitely keep them taking them out will just cause unnecessary stress.
plus the fish dont seem to mind the water changes one of my bettas poisidon will actually bite the gravel syphon!
Thank you for the feedback, I greatly appreciate it! Okay good, that's what I thought! Oh that's funny that he bites the gravel syphon!
barbiespoodle said:
Oh my word, NO!

With 5 tanks that constitute, hundreds if not close to a 1000 if you consider the unseen baby shrimp and live bearer fry, various aquatic life, that would be one of those nightmare generating things.

But to get serious. I do weekly water changes in all the tanks and more than that in the small cory cat fry grow out tank because it is such a small tank, and small tanks require more care. It's really all a matter of how you do water changes.

First I rarely never do more than 40%, most often 25%, which leaves plenty of water in the tank for the aquatic life.

Second, since most of my tanks have babies, especially the shrimp tanks, I put a fine mesh media bag over the intake of the syphon. This way I don't suck up any babies. Now this won't work if you want to clean the substrate, but it works for me since my tanks are all planted and I want all that gunk in the substrate to feed the plants. If your tank is decorated with plastic, then you should do a vacuum of the substrate. But that's not a big deal. When I was all plastic, it really wasn't difficult, just took more attention as you did it. IMHO, going all live has actually made my tank care so much easier, for basic care on 5 tanks, I can get it all done in an hour and I can even skip a week or two if need be.

Hope this helps and makes your aquatic life keeping easier. Believe me, at my age and all too hectic life, easy is always better. Plus it makes this love of mine far more enjoyable, tank care really is more of a stress reliever, not a stress maker for me.
Thank you so much for the extensive feedback, I greatly appreciate it! I actually plan to get a planted tank at some point!
BabsandLoon said:
Thank you for the feedback, I greatly appreciate it! Ha! That's cute that the goldfish do that!
JettsPapa said:
Very smart!
barbiespoodle said:
A lesson I have learned in my later years of aquatic life keeping.

I do have two heaters that are meant to be and must be, totally submersed and those make tank day a lot easier in that I don't have to worry about unplugging them, I never take that much water out of a tank. And I do prefer them for the simple reason that they are so easy to hide in the decorations.

But I also have 2 old school heaters that can not be submersed, and can't afford to replace them while they still work, especially the larger one in the 55 gallon. That is the reason I put in the precaution.
Thank you so much!
Bettamay said:
For me, it depends on the fish. My late betta was terrified by the cleaning device, and was much better off in a cup, but my current betta hates the cup so I leave him in. If he doesn’t mind the water change leave him/her in is what I say. Only if he/she doesn’t like it take him/her out.
Ahhh, makes sense! Thank you so much, I greatly appreciate it!
Mhamilton0911 said:
I do with one fish only. It's my betta pal who's been battling fin rot, and he's now in a bare bottom qt tank. I scoop him into a 4cup plastic measuring cup. He happily swims in, he gets fed in there, and I change 100% of his qt tank. I then lower the cup and let him swim out. This is a special case since all treatments were not helping him. This is only a temporary measure. All my other tanks get regular treatment and all the fish play in the new water's current.
Makes sense! Thank you so much for the feedback, I greatly appreciate it!
barbiespoodle said:
My darling little otto cats in the shrimp tanks also love to play in the stream when I'm refilling with the python automatic system. During the last tank day I got so engrossed watching them I almost overfilled the tank. But in my defense, they were just too cute to not watch as they played in the stream.
Interesting! That's so cute!

jaysurf7

No i never take my fish out during a water change i feel it will stress them out more being moved to another area they get used to the water changes,even when i had to move my tank to another room to get a new carpet i just dranined the tank like 80% and left them in there, nor do unplug the heater during a water change. i might forget to plug it back in lol .What i do is as the water level lowers i lower the heater with it so its always underwater,then as i fill it i slowly move it back up so the whole time the heater is always in water heating the tank.Just make sure the bottom part is never exposed to the air or it could crack.

Jojo205

I think my guppies enjoy when I do WCs, one of them always plays with the siphon when it’s in the tank and tries to catch all the bubbles when I pour water in It would cause wayyyy too much stress to take them out and put them back in every week. I’ve done it once to switch substrate and plant the tank and after that one time the fish were extremely stressed (I was expecting them to get sick just from the stress but luckily they didn’t.)

Whitelightning

jaysurf7 said:
No i never take my fish out during a water change i feel it will stress them out more being moved to another area they get used to the water changes,even when i had to move my tank to another room to get a new carpet i just dranined the tank like 80% and left them in there, nor do unplug the heater during a water change. i might forget to plug it back in lol .What i do is as the water level lowers i lower the heater with it so its always underwater,then as i fill it i slowly move it back up so the whole time the heater is always in water heating the tank.Just make sure the bottom part is never exposed to the air or it could crack.
Thank you for your feedback, I greatly appreciate it! I found that it has stressed my fish out too. That's smart! Thanks for telling me!
Jojo205 said:
I think my guppies enjoy when I do WCs, one of them always plays with the siphon when it’s in the tank and tries to catch all the bubbles when I pour water in It would cause wayyyy too much stress to take them out and put them back in every week. I’ve done it once to switch substrate and plant the tank and after that one time the fish were extremely stressed (I was expecting them to get sick just from the stress but luckily they didn’t.)
Thank you for your feedback, I greatly appreciate it! That's funny that they do that! I'm glad they didn't get sick from the stress!

barbiespoodle

Jojo205 said:
Besides not wanting to suck up baby shrimp, one of the main reasons I put the filter media bag over the intake of the siphon was because of my silly guppies. They just can't seem to resist the intake and I hate to admit that a split second of not watching has sucked up more than one of them. I have rescued them from the 25 feet of python auto siphon/refill system, but considering it's 25 feet, it wasn't easy. My only guppy in the community that has a name is Stupid because he almost make it all the way to the end before I discovered him. Getting him out tore up his fins a bit, but he's still kicking and chasing the females, lol .

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom