Do You Recommend Bactria In A Bottle?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Z123Killer, Apr 8, 2017.

1. Z123KillerWell Known MemberMember

I want to go the fishless cycling method but should I use ammonia only? Or ammonia and bacteria in a bottle as well?

2. APierce

APierceWell Known MemberMember

If this is your first time doing it, I would use some stability or tetra safe start + as a boost. It cuts down on the time.

3. -Mak-

-Mak-Well Known MemberMember

I've used tetra safe start, and as long as you have an ammonia source, it'll cycle the tank in only a couple weeks.

4. Tiny_Tanganyikans

Tiny_TanganyikansWell Known MemberMember

Stability has worked for me 100s of times in a week.

5. OP
    OP
    Z

Z123KillerWell Known MemberMember

Are stability or safe start one time use? Or do I keep dosing?

6. APierce

Stability, from what I understand you use during water changes and you do an initial dose (possibly doses?). With safe start, you add the whole bottle at once, though it does say on the bottle you can add during water changes (I'd not do that, I'd add the whole bottle)

*I've not used stability, I have used TSS+ though. If you use a water conditioner after you fill up your tank, you want to wait 24 hours before adding the TSS+ to your water.

7. OP
    OP
    Z

I decided to go with Tetra Safestart instead of stability because people have said that safe start is better.

BUT:
    -If I bought Safestart, how much would I need for a 29gallon?
    -If I bought Safestart PLUS, how much would I need for a 29 gallon?

8. musserump09

musserump09Well Known MemberMember

Do you have fish already? If so i would recommend Stability since its made to help protect fish through a cycle process. If not then you can dose 3ml and be fine. Same goes for your water conditioner.

9. OP
    OP
    Z

No I do not have the fish. And for 3ml is that for the stability, safestart or the safestart plus?

10. APierce

You are going to want the PLUS, and I went with the bigger bottle ( think it is good up to 75 gal) I added the whole thing. Tank cycled in 2 weeks.

11. OP
    OP
    Z

How much was your tank size? And did you just add TSS+ without ammonia, or did you also add ammonia as well?

12. APierce

I used it in a 55gal and in a 20gal. I used fish food to cycle my tank (ammonia is better).
    I put together the tank, put in gravel, decorations, heater, filter, added water and then added de-chlorinator. Started adding fish food, waited more than 24 hours and then added the whole bottle of TSS+, kept checking my levels and "ghost fed" my tank according to what I wanted to put in there (at full stocking)

13. OP
    OP
    Z

Is the TSS+ 100ml bottle (3.38 ounce) enough to use to cycle a 29 gallon aquarium?

14. BottomDweller

BottomDwellerFishlore VIPMember

I think so. I used 200ml for my 63 gallon.

Remember it will still probably take 2 weeks+

15. OP
    OP
    Z

Ok, thank you, and I will still need to be dosing ammonia to 1ppm during that 2 week period correct?

Also, will it take significantly longer if I don't use safestart+ and just use ammonia?

16. BottomDweller

BottomDwellerFishlore VIPMember

Yeah dose ammonia to 1-2ppm

I've found TSS speeds up cycling a lot. It takes much longer to cycle a tank without it in my experience.

17. -Mak-

-Mak-Well Known MemberMember

You can use them until you're cycled, then there isn't much point in using them again unless you think somehow the bacteria have died.

My tank was only 3 gallons and the bottle of safe start I had was for up to 40 gallons, so I only used a bit and saved the rest.

18. musserump09

musserump09Well Known MemberMember

Stability doses 10ml per 10gal. first day. Then 10ml per 20gal. ( you can use 2 10ml spoons)

Is your tank cycled or cycling?

3ml is incorrect. My prime i use had me replying to soon. Haha. Safestart has directions on dosing. You can round up since you have 29 gal. I treat my 29 likes it a 30.

19. AngelTheGypsy

AngelTheGypsyFishlore VIPMember

The bottle of tss will have instructions on the back. It think the small bottle does 20 gal, the next size does 40, etc. you can't overdose on bacteria, so I would get the bottle for a 40 gallon tank and add the whole bottle. It may make your tank water cloudy, but that's normal and will go away.

20. MaddieTaylah

MaddieTaylahWell Known MemberMember

It depends on how patient you are, if you are willing to wait a little longer then a bottled bacteria isn't necessary as it just speeds the time it takes to cycle the tank.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice