Do you really need to do a water change if levels are fine?

airdog44

Do you really need to do a water change if your levels are fine? I have a 10 gal moderately planted tank with 6 neon tetras. If my levels are good, do I really need to do a water change?

Ammonia: 0-.25(It's in between not fully yellow but not quite the lime green)
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 20-30 ppm

Thanks for the help!
Disclaimer: This is just a question I do not mean that I skip water changes, I take very good care of my tank. I do not neglect it and I'm not trying to be lazy or get out of them.

StarGirl

I dont test my water. I just do 50% every week regardless. Your call. ;)

Ouse

Yeah that’s normal.
Do you really need to do a water change if your levels are fine? I have a 10 gal moderately planted tank with 6 neon tetras. If my levels are good, do I really need to do a water change?
For remineralising water, keeping the bacterial load low (discounting beneficial bacteria) and removing trace elements we can’t test for, yes, weekly water changes are still necessary.

Bwood22

Yeah, but you could go a lot longer between water changes.
Fresh water will add minerals back into the water that deplete over time.
But if all your levels are good and consistent then you might do every other week or once a month depending on your nitrate accumulation.

airdog44

Ok, thanks for all the fast responses. I will just keep to my normal routine about 25-30% weekly.

PAcanis

I will just keep to my normal routine about 25-30% weekly.

That's it right there ^
Sure you can skip weekly WC's. No names mentioned :rolleyes:
But if your parameters are good you want to keep them that way. So regular maintenance is always recommended.

I actually did a WC twice last week in my one nano. A Neon came up missing and I wanted to head off a possible ammonia spike in a small tank.
I have no idea where that sonofagun was for six days... o_O

---New Post-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes. Wow.
I guess :confused:

PAcanis

That's it right there ^
Sure you can skip weekly WC's. No names mentioned :rolleyes:
But if your parameters are good you want to keep them that way. So regular maintenance is always recommended.

I actually did a WC twice last week in my one nano. A Neon came up missing and I wanted to head off a possible ammonia spike in a small tank.
I have no idea where that sonofagun was for six days... o_O

---New Post-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes. Wow.

That part after New Post certainly does not look like anything I would post o_O
I don't know how that got associated with my quoted posts.

So.
Yeah. Wow.

Azedenkae

Thanks for the help!
Disclaimer: This is just a question I do not mean that I skip water changes, I take very good care of my tank. I do not neglect it and I'm not trying to be lazy or get out of them.
I've had many, many tanks over the years. Generally once established, I do a water changes every few months or so, or more.

;D

Bwood22

Did you know:

Your water's carbonate hardness (KH) and general hardness (GH) are a measurement of trace mineral levels (carbonate, magnesium, calcium etc) in your water.

Fish and plants use these minerals over time.
That means that over time you will see your KH and GH levels dropping.
Now this could be gradual or a bit quicker depending on what is living in your aquarium.

KH is a major determining factor in your tank's PH. A low KH is going to allow your PH to swing more rapidly. So over time as nitric acid (nitrate) builds up in your tank and the KH minerals deplete.....this can cause a PH crash.

That's not good.

So we need to find balance between how much nitrate we are accumulating and how fast that happens....and what is the mineral depletion rate when considering plants, animals, and nitrate.

This is how we determine how long we can go without changing water. If you can go for months then go for it....if its once a week, then so be it.

Bottom line is, everyone's tank is different.
I hope this helps you determine a responsible and safe course of action.

Eaton

Thanks for the help!
I used to have a planted tank and the levels in there were perfect so I stopped doing water changes but over a few weeks the plants started decaying and dying. As soon as I did a water change the looked heaps better the next day.
I also did get a ph crash in that tank.

jmaldo

Need? Always debated, different strokes..
Only a 4 years in and I feel it's part of "Wet Pet" husbandry and beneficial.
Depends on your filtration and bio-load, I do a minimum 50% water changes on all my tanks (10-55g). On my grow-out tanks minimum 2x per week 50%.

Good Luck!

Every tank is as different as a fingerprint

nanoaquariumguy

With olny 6 neons and a good amount of plants you could get away with 30% every 2 weeks. Id recommend adding a few more neons aswell.

Eaton

With olny 6 neons and a good amount of plants you could get away with 30% every 2 weeks. Id recommend adding a few more neons aswell.
i wouldent add any more noens to a 10 gallon

airdog44

Hey all! I've been offline for a while and wow! Thanks so much for all the information! I have just kept to my routine of 23-30% weekly-it just works for me. Maybe further down the line when all my plants grow in or if I get more I'll try fewer water changes. Also for the neon talk I've made multiple threads on it and when I have an official heavily planted tank instead of moderately I'll get just 2 more. Maybe even just 1 more but I'll have no more than 8 in the tank at once. Thanks again!

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
FishGirl115
Replies
Views
oldsalt777
  • Question
Replies
Views
AmnScott