Do you put something on the scratchy side of your magnet scraper?

Adavachi

when I use the magnet scraper it tends to just leave lines in the algae on the glass instead of getting it all off. Does anyone have any ideas on how to optimize this?

PAcanis

Back when I used one I would rub it back and forth, like scrubbing something difficult, to remove algae.
Sometimes I would also use an old credit card in a makeshift PVC device.

BigFish99

I just do multiple passes with the algae scraper, like brush a spot with 3-4 strokes. Are you doing this currently? Because when I do just on stroke, it also leaves streaks, but when I do multiple passes, it does a pretty good job of getting the algae off. What brand are you using? I just use a mag float, the most common. Also, As far as I know, the inside the tank side of the brush is not scratchy, at least not on the mag float, so if thats what you're useing, maybe you have it backwards?

Alexjamiesonc

Mine is more effective going up and down rather than side to side...

StarGirl

It always took to long with those scrapers. I use a metal scraper or a old gift card. Takes way less time.

Adavachi

I just do multiple passes with the algae scraper, like brush a spot with 3-4 strokes. Are you doing this currently? Because when I do just on stroke, it also leaves streaks, but when I do multiple passes, it does a pretty good job of getting the algae off. What brand are you using? I just use a mag float, the most common. Also, As far as I know, the inside the tank side of the brush is not scratchy, at least not on the mag float, so if thats what you're useing, maybe you have it backwards?
I don't think I have it backwards, because the scraper holder is on the side that I'm putting inside the tank. I did a couple passed with it and there were still some lines, but maybe I need to just do it more. I am also using a mag float.

BigFish99

Is the logo on the outside? thats how its suppsed to be

Chewbacca773

when I use the magnet scraper it tends to just leave lines in the algae on the glass instead of getting it all off. Does anyone have any ideas on how to optimize this?
Yeah just make a few more passes and the lines go away

Adavachi

Alright thanks guys

jtjgg

scrub side to side long ways. i only have a 75g tank, i drain about 75-80% of the water then take a handful of polyfil and wipe the inside of the glass.

Big Rich demostrates in the beginning of this video. starting at around the 45sec mark.

StarGirl

scrub side to side long ways. i only have a 75g tank, i drain about 75-80% of the water then take a handful of polyfil and wipe the inside of the glass.

Big Rich demostrates in the beginning of this video. starting at around the 45sec mark.
lol I would have to quit fishkeeping if it took that long to clean the glass....:eek:. It takes me less that 5 minutes with my scraper! And there is way less chance of getting a piece of sand scratching things up.

GlennO

I prefer to use an algae pad. I find that in the long term there are less scratches on the glass. Magnets have a tendency to occasionally trap grit.

Revan

It's not scratchy really, its just rough on the side that cleans the glass. Think of how a kitchen sponge tends to have a soft side and a rough side to scrape.

To answer the question, you should be rubbing it like its a normal sponge. Simply streaking it across might help, but only minimally. Plus, you cover more area when you rub it back and forth, so it works both ways!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
jwilson48
  • AnglerTheStrangler
  • Algae
Replies
Views
JLeeM
  • Question
  • Krest
  • Algae