Do You Prefer "Long" Or "High" Tanks?

kayla20johnson
Just curious to see what y’all prefer!

Mine is a 55 high but I’m wanting to get a 55 long

jdhef
I prefer long tank over high tanks. For most fish, vertical swim space is more important than vertical space. Plus, I think long tanks just look better.

Mcasella
Visually the longer tank is more pleasing to the eye, also you don't need as tall decor (comparing say a 20 long to a 20 high, both of which I have), but you can look at one side of a long tank without looking at the whole tank (without getting closer too). I like the look of longer tanks, however I prefer ones that are fairly proportional, so a 55 or 60 is more pleasing to me than a 20 long and a 45 really only looking good with taller fish, like angels.

leftswerve
It depends on species. I had some Rainbows in a 65 (3ft long, Hi) and they weren't happy. I prefer Tall for a larger viewing area.

midna
the longer, the better

Bearwithfish
I like longer tanks personally. However, when I can get a pleasant mix of high and long I will certainly go for that.

Thus far no matter what type of fish I have gotten they seem to enjoy the longer tanks better also.

KeeperOfASilentWorld
I also prefer long. 1/2 and 1/3 height over length, are good ratios in my opinion.

83jase
It's pleasant watching them high oops yes long tank definitely

smee82
Long and wide is much better then tall and narrow.

bitseriously
For planted tanks, long seems to be the preferred choice, because getting light to the bottom of a tall tank is difficult.

Jellibeen
I love the way tall, column tanks look but it is not ideal for fish so I don’t have any. I actually really like the look of hexagonal tanks.

stella1979
I don't even have to think about it. Long all the way.

IHaveADogToo
Long. It's not my preference, it's the fish's preference.

FishWithTim

The only long tank i'd ever get would be a 20 gallon long because the tall is just terrible looking to me.

ystrout
Long because most fish prefer it, especially the species I keep.

bizaliz3
Long without a doubt.
*Better for the fish
*better for planted tanks
*easier to aquascape and water change

If you have ever seen a standard 29 gallon and a standard 30 gallon side by side....It says it all. The extra 6 inches of length the 30 gallon has makes it appear MUCH MUCH more than just one gallon of water larger!! The longer footprint gives fish so much more room to swim.

leftswerve
I guess it is perspective. Under 30 and the difference in Long or High becomes a noticeable difference.

CanadianFishFan
Always long, you can add more plants and stuff. And also its better for fish. Like bettas prefer to swim horizontal and its easier for them to get air.

CloudTheFluffy
I like a good mix between the two. For some reason I just don't like the look of a tank that's "too long" or "too tall".

CanadianFishFan
I can have both side by side to fill my needs, a 20 gallon long on its side for my crested gecko and a 20 gallon long on my desk for a leopard gecko. BOOM! 20 gallon long and 20 gallon tall all in one!

Fanatic
I prefer longer tanks, they are much easier in agreeance with everyone else’s reasons.
Taller tanks are harder to reach into, meaning you may have to use a step stool or just deal with wet sleeves. I also think it’s harder for the fish to come up to breath, such as bottom dwelling fish, like cories.

I am buying a 20 gallon tall soon, but it’s not a fish tank, it’s a topper for my 55 gallon crabitat

Seth15
I personally prefer long. Most fish species seem to appreciate a longer tank opposed to a taller tank (there are exceptions though like discus, angelfish, etc.).

Taller tanks save space, but I don't mind taking up the extra room for a longer tank.

Light also reaches plants better in a longer tank.

I also think it's easier to decorate with a longer tank.

wolfdog01
Long. The fish can swim naturally and you can add in more plants and decor without having to worry about height so much. I once saw a 30 gallon long, only a foot tall and a foot wide, can't remember the length. It looked perfect for a betta.

CanadianFishFan
Long. The fish can swim naturally and you can add in more plants and decor without having to worry about height so much. I once saw a 30 gallon long, only a foot tall and a foot wide, can't remember the length. It looked perfect for a betta.
Those are the best! The 50 gallon 1 foot tall tank for corals would be perfect for a female sorority.

wolfdog01
YES! I would buy a frag tank for bettas if they weren't so expensive lol

Goldiemom
It all depends on the fish. Long for most of my tropical but my Goldie’s hate them because they use the entire water column to swim. So high for goldies.

Zenarium
Long tanks all the way. I would love to see them create some standard "extra-long" tanks that are about 6-8" high and stretch out across a whole wall

CanadianFishFan
Long tanks all the way. I would love to see them create some standard "extra-long" tanks that are about 6-8" high and stretch out across a whole wall
Make a rack system that has 4 levels on each wall with these tanks.... Literal fish room! I would put my bed in the middle and bettas on the walls

Baba
Long and wide over high and narrow. Every single time. I would rather avoid the fish requiring high tanks or go big enough so the proportion is again longer than high.

Fashooga
I like longer better...it allows you to get certain fish and territories will be easier to manage on a long tank.

CanadianFishFan
Is there a fish that actually likes to swim up and down? Instead of sideways?

NYFishGuy
Long, Looks better, fish like to swim horizontally and its easier to light.

kayla20johnson

Next question!

Do you prefer putting a lit bubble wall in the bottom, or on the side?

Baba
Next question!

Do you prefer putting a lit bubble wall in the bottom, or on the side?
I prefer not to have a bubble wall at all. Does that count?

david1978
I have a lighted bubble volcano. Does that count?

wolfdog01
No bubble wall for me, got a HOB filter. I mean, I got DIY CO2, so that gives off bubbles. Does that count?

kayla20johnson
I have a lighted bubble volcano. Does that count?

Where do you get something like that?! That’s awesome!

david1978
About $12 on amazon.

kayla20johnson
No bubble wall for me, got a HOB filter. I mean, I got DIY CO2, so that gives off bubbles. Does that count?

I’m asking because I just bought a flexible LED blue light 14 inch bubble walk and I almost want to put it on the bottom. But my tank is s 55 gallon high so it will be difficult to get it there without emptying a lot of the water out first.

The_River_Daughter
Long, but I have 20 gallon high, so I can keep a pair of angels!

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
wintersoldier1287
  • Question
Replies
Views
Newbie1234
Replies
Views
Islandvic