Do you only have Fish?

Bluefish
Just curious what other beasts and vermin people might have. I seem to have trouble saying no to my girls, as well as my own impulsive behaviour...

We have a cat (previously feral polydactyl tiger), a bunny (minI rex), crested gecko (male) with another coming Monday (female), 4 tiny land hermits, a gerbil.

We had 3 cockatiels and and bred a few parakeets over the years but our house is too cold and to small for bird dander, so no birds anymore (maybe a canary when my kids move out).

We also had a pony and a clydesdale/TB cross (sigh, my big buddy) that I sold a year ago as my oldest (who rode them) went to college. I miss them, possible this is why I needed a fish tank... mucking stalls, cleaning tanks... very similar.

Nags1965
I am like you.. I have a hard time ignoring my own impulses to have critters of all kinds. I have down sized due to feeling like I spent more time with my critters then my own family LOL.. I now only have 2 boston terrier dogs, 1 shih Tzu dog, 4 hermit crabs and my fish (the newest additions) My cat had to be put to sleep last summer due to pure old age.. and I gave my bird away 2 summers ago.

My son, who is 20, wants a turtle but we are not able to buy them here in Tennessee.. so I'm in the market for a baby sugarglider.. I think that will make a good addition to our home.

mlinden84
We've got fish galore and foster dogs for a local rescue. Currently we have Border Collie/St. Bernard mix puppy named "Boschee". He's 15 weeks old and weighs 46 pounds... he's gonna be a big boy!

Bluefish
Ho ho!! A sugarglider is what my kids are begging for! They themselves have said, however, that they need as much attention as a human baby. I don't know, I'm really not familiar with them.

We also had a fire bellied toad... although I didn't know about it. Funny story - you know how your 'mother sense' makes you wake up the instant one of your kids gets up at night? Well the other night I woke up and knew someone was up, and coming towards my room. My first thought is always, ok - who threw up. But then I realized there was more than one kid coming. Checked the clock - 3:15am. This all happens in the seconds it takes for them to reach my room, you know how it is! So then, my door opens and my 16 year old twins both appear at my bedside. "Mom. We have a problem". Yeesssss.....? "There's a poisonous fire bellied toad loose in our room". Hmmm... didn't know we had one of those. Well, it was the cat of course. We never found the toad (after an hour crawling around their room at 3am) but the cat didn't die... (and no one threw up ) so, there you go.

Bluefish
Yikes, he'll be as big as my clyde/tb!

capekate
My house is not too bad, we have two dogs, a rottie/husky mix named cooper, a schiperkee named Louie, two cats, Mama who is 13yrs old and her son, Buster who is about 12yrs old. Our six tanks of fish.. and assorted bird feeders outside, we love to feed the wild birds here.
The fish take up the most of our time... the others are too easy to care for! lol..

Nags1965
Bluefish, my sisters youngest daughter has a sugarglider. She got him as a baby. If I'm not mistaken he was 8weeks old and had bonded with the owner already so in order for it to bond with my niece she had to wear him in a special pouch around her neck for like 3 weeks. Every where she went the baby glider was around her neck (during the day that is) So I guess you are right they do need a lot of care, at least as a baby.

Ive been reading up on them and my only draw back is the smell. I guess they tend to have a natural oder that can be over whelming if your not careful. One web site says the oder can be controlled with the right diet and the right cage cleaner.

If I get a glider I will be sure to let you know how my experience goes

Bluefish
Oh yeah, and I forgot about the mice in the basement (quantity unknown but multiplying). I'm trying to forget about them anyway... maybe I'll try RidX.

Bluefish
Wow, yes, that's what it was - they need to bond. Really does sound cool, but I was unaware of the odor. I think ferrets are cute also, but I couldn't live with their aroma.

I actually liked the smell of my horses (well maintained) but was still glad they lived in a barn!

Martinismommy
I have 3 Chihuahua dogs "Martini" a neutered boy, "Mr. Big" my tiny male and I kept a daughter of Mr. Big's one and only breeding...Her name is "Bikini". I also have a really old ferral cat named "Pebbles" that I rescued at 5 days old....My 2 clown fish my yellow tang and my boy "Will" the betta fish...I'd have more if I wasn't raising my 3 year old Granddaughter....She keeps me on my toes!

You can see my furkids at:

Allie
We have 4 felines 2 boys and 2 girls.

Phishies Inn
I have 2 fish tanks, a cockatiel (bird) named Lupin and a rottie/chow/lab mix named Cocoa...

I used to have another dog that was a Schipperke and a cat, but they've both passed away. My sister used to keep a couple of hermit crabs, and for a while my mom had a minI "pond" in one of those big barrels and she kept some goldfish in it with some plants. That was a few years ago though.

Every few years I end up finding this turtle and save it from Cocoa eating it. I keep it for a couple weeks and then let it go *away* from my dog lol. But every few years he keeps coming back! Silly turtle.

Coryd55
2 cats
5 fish tanks(Over 100 fish...counting babies though. The babies account for about 70 of them(not counting almost freeswimming angel fry)
1 Whites tree frog

Not to bad =)

Blub
Hi!

About 30 fish, 3 Nerite snails, some Amano shrimp, (All mine!), 2 Bunnys, (Fudge and Twinkle, both Lionheads who belong to my little sister), A collie dog who goes by the name of 'Bramble', and 2 Cats - Willow and Tansy, both moggies.
Next additions? Red cherry shrimp, Bumblebee or Tiger shrimp and a pair of Bolivian rams. Currently the op pet on the 'Beggign list' is an Axolotl, Hermit or Fire bellied newt, but it won't be safe to start begging for him until 2009 I think.
Now, don't ask me about what I have in my indoor jungle... In my room, I have these houseplants: Diffenbachia, Dwarf umbrella tree, Bromeliad, Asparagus, Peace lily, Croton, Hedera (Ivy), Ficus elastica decora, Ficus 'Belize' and some Cacti. Jungle, isn't it?! I love looking after plants - well, indoor ones that look exoic. My room is pretty cool, there's a few underwater jungles, in one big terrestrial one!

Nags - keep us posted on the Glider if you get one! I love them, I really want one.

Bluefish
Hatchet - your room sounds like mine as a kid! Now, once again, my house is just too cold for much to be happy. I have variuos small plants that come and go, but a 6 foot sweet bay tree I raised from a twig and a 5 foot swarming-viney jasmine that I take to work for the winter, then they all go on the patio in the summer, which they love, of course.

By the way, I plan on getting a hatchet when my tank is extremely stable. They only seems to be 'visitors' to my tanks, but I've always loved them. I may have to flush my beastly three silver tipped tetras first though, they are VERY hard on new fish.

Martinismommy - you may be entertained to know that one of my favorite house 'plants' that I have is a tumbleweed! I picked it up in Moab several years ago when I drove from Cape Cod to Pheonix with my brother, stopped at the post office in Sedona and sent it home to my kids in a box.

Blub
Hatchet - your room sounds like mine as a kid! Now, once again, my house is just too cold for much to be happy. I have variuos small plants that come and go, but a 6 foot sweet bay tree I raised from a twig and a 5 foot swarming-viney jasmine that I take to work for the winter, then they all go on the patio in the summer, which they love, of course.

By the way, I plan on getting a hatchet when my tank is extremely stable. They only seems to be 'visitors' to my tanks, but I've always loved them. I may have to flush my beastly three silver tipped tetras first though, they are VERY hard on new fish.
Hi!

Hatchets, only get them if you have space for more than 6. Really, as these fish can give some serious conciquences when kept in small numbers, (Jumping a couple of meters in the air, Marbleds are prone to Ick...) I say only buy if you can accommodate a lot. Since you have schoolers in non-schooling numbers, you'll get a rally cool tank out of upping their schools. Maybe in your next tank, design it around hatchets. You have to remember that the maximum size for many hatchet species is undecided. If your Silver tips are aggressive, it's likely because they're being stressed by not having a school. In my experience, fish look best in big numbers, and are generally less stressed with more of their species.

offminded
I have a 2 year old Shih Tzu named Bandit...and I used to have two bearded dragons until they decided to have a duel to the death...quite bloddy and quite interesting at the same time!

sirdarksol
Aside from my fish, I have three cats, all of whom were abandoned before being adopted. My house has been home to a litter of kittens (from one of the abandoned cats), as well as an unknown number of (unwanted) mice that seem to live in the space above the vent hood. The mice have learned that moving out into the open parts of the house is a bad idea, since at least two of the cats are expert huntresses.
Not quite pets, but I also encourage a large number of squirrels, birds, and rabbits to live in my back yard. Because of this, the cats that are "owned" by one of my neighbors (they don't actually care for the cats, they just let them roam around, hunting and breeding. Stupid city doesn't have any legislation regarding cats) like spending time in my yard as well. One of these cats has also lived in my home for quite awhile, after she got pregnant.

KittieKat
I currently have 1 4yr old doggie, 3 7-month old snakes, and a <1 month old house gecko. my puppy is a Shiba Inu, which is kind of a newer breed to the states.

I am an animal fosterer. I care for sick, injured, and/or homeless animals (wild or domesticated). which includes paying for surgerys, handfeeding, training, etc.. usually when the animals are either old enough or healthy enough they go to a rescue/shelter to be adopted or I find homes myself for them. long story short, there are many different types of animals coming in and out of my house
I'm in the process of maybe taking in a few abandoned ferrets.. still waiting on the word of the shelter.

COBettaCouple
Just fish here, although Stacy wants Guinea Pigs.

Bonochick
We have a yellow lab and a chocolate lab. I also have a newt, but he lives back at my parents' house (they don't mind caring for him, and I figure he is better off not being stressed out by a move).

Lucy
and I used to have two bearded dragons until they decided to have a duel to the death...quite bloddy and quite interesting at the same time!
Oh dear.

The animals I have right now are:

1 9 month old female cat--similar to the late guy in my avatar
1 18yr old male shih tzu
2 Land hermit crabs
10 Fish
1 Husband <<<----I couldn't resist

Oh, we feed a couple of strays (I actually think they belong to neighbors and just stop by for a meal now and then, plenty of birds and a squirrel.

The blue birds, who I DO consider mine lol, are starting their nest. It's so much fun to watch their babies go from eggs to fledglings and exciting when they take their first flight. I get so sad to see them go.

Oil_Fan
Before I got my tank and slowly started stocking it, we did have an alaskan malamute. He was quite the beautiful dog!! Unfortunately he died back in November. He was 12 years old though and age finally caught up to him.

Bluefish
I came home yesterday and found we now have 3 crested geckos and 7 hermits...

Unfortuantely right now what I seem to have the best school of in my tank is tomites...

Top Bottom