Do you need to quarantine plants

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by amberl, Dec 15, 2012.

1. a

amberl Valued Member Member

Or can they go straight in the main tank after being rinsed

2. Ethan

Ethan Well Known Member Member

rinse them well and check to see if there are any pond snails if there are no pond snails you are good too go :D

3. AmazonPassion

AmazonPassion Moderator Moderator Member

I QT all new plants. There are a lot than pond snails to look for such as hydras, lipids, copepods, etc....

My QT procedure varies depending if it is a stem, root, or floating. Stem plants are usually in kept in a different Rubbermaid container changing water daily. Rooted plants go through a peroxide bath and QT for two weeks.

4. b

backflipfronflip Well Known Member Member

I have never quarantined my plants. But then again i do have a tank full of pond snails now!

I don't mind as it is a good excuse to have another species in the tank, in the shape of Assassin Snails.

5. Y

Yeoy Well Known Member Member

It can't hurt!

6. fishaddiction

fishaddiction Valued Member Member

I don't just rinse well so it gets cleaned of if you have a tank to quarantine fish then go right ahead. :)

7. monkeypie102

monkeypie102 Well Known Member Member

I have learned recently, 2 days ago, to QT my plants... I found a huge group of hydra and i have been preping my cories for breeding... so i am a bit worried about fry...

8. Matt B

Matt B Well Known Member Member

Monkey, that would make me nervous too, I get mad if anything picks on my adult cories, I can't imagine something like that eating their babies!

I've had some strange critters come through with plants as well. Before pwcs I kind of blow everything off with the filter outlet and there where some stonefly or dragon fly larva, which will eat small fish, that got flushed out of some rocks from some moss I had just put in there. My fishies ate them though.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice