Do you need to do anything to terracotta pots before you put them in your tank?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emberdee

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi all! I just bought some terracotta pots to put in my tank for hiding places. I have taken the tags off and am planning on rubbing them down to get any dirt off. I was just wondering if you would suggest doing anything else to them before I put them in. They were stored outside when I bought them, but there were no spiderwebs or bugs on them. I also currently have no fish in my tank. So basically what I'm asking is, should I do anything other than wiping the pots down before I put them in my aquarium? Thanks in advance for any help!

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I usually just give them a wash in warm water & they are good to go. If any of the residue from the stickers is still on the pots a light rub with sandpaper will fix that up. Sometimes I make the hole in the base larger or break a 'door' in the side of the pot, smooting off the rough edges with a file but it depends on how I'm going to position the pot as to wether I do that sort of thing or just put them straight in as is.

midthought

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
The ones I got were just stored inside and didn't need anything except me getting all the stupid bits of adhesive off from the stickers. How water and rubbing eventually took care of that.

Were your pots outside with plants in or near them? Any chance that they came into contact with insecticides while they were outside? I know that that would be really bad, but I don't know anything about sanitizing such things.

Emberdee

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Oh okay. I didn't think I needed to do anything more, but I wasn't sure. My pots were outside, but they were far away from plants. They were also in a covered outside area, so I'm pretty sure no insecticides got to them. Thanks for all the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom