Do You Need A Hood For Your Tank? Question

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by ~Matt~, May 27, 2019.

1. ~Matt~

~Matt~Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +33
    I currently have the stock light and hold on my 45 gallon aquarium, but I was wanting to change it. The light I was looking to get is the Aquaneat 36in light. When I look at hoods, however, the majority of listings for goods are very chunky and large. I’ve seen people have glass ones, but I don’t know where to get them. If It’s really difficult to get them, can I keep my tank without a hood?

Link to light: Aquaneat Aquarium Light White and Blue LED Fresh Water Fish Tank Light for 36 to 44 Inch Tank

2. Terabyte

TerabyteWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +127
    Experience:
    3 years
    Depends on the species of fish you are looking to get. Also check petsmart they have good glass lids

3. skar

skarWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +381
    Experience:
    5 years
    You don't need a lid..
    Less you keep fish that are prone to jump.

4. kallililly1973

kallililly1973Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +3,069
    Experience:
    2 years
    All my tanks are topless aside from my 8.8 cause it houses a betta and an ADF. I had all the glass lids on them at one point but removed them for a cleaner look and one less step during WC maint.

5. wintermute

wintermuteValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +170
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Years ago I had a tank that had a glass lid. I didn't like how it fogged up so I took it off. One day I came home and one of my goldfish was gone. A bit of searching and it turned up dead on the floor a few feet away from the tank. It had apparently jumped out. I put the glass lid back on after that!

I've now got khuli loaches (which apparently will also jump out of the tank), and espie rasbora's which certainly on the way home from the LFS were jumping up out of the water in the bag! The other advantage of having a hood or a lid is that it will reduce your evaporation significantly.

So I personally wouldn't risk not having a hood/lid on the tank :)

Tony.

6. david1978

david1978Fishlore LegendMember

Ratings:
    +9,405
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Even Lowe's will cut you 2 pieces of glass for a hood. That's what most of mine are. Simple and cheap.