Do You Name Your Fish?

1. AJE

AJE Well Known Member Member

I don’t, but some how people name them for me, and for some reason I keep calling them that. Do you name them? Or are you also tricked into it?

2. AquaticJ

AquaticJ Well Known Member Member

No, but my girlfriend names mine lol.

3. Repolie

Repolie Valued Member Member

I name them because I believe that they recognize their owners and helps build a closer bond instead of just not knowing what to call them (ex. Hey fish, fish, dude, etc...). Though if it's a bunch of fish that look alike and are together, I won't bother naming them or just call them all one name (ex. The Jerrys, reference to a recent game. I hope someone gets it). It's also fun to just think of a name for them.

4. Dch48

Dch48 Well Known Member Member

I named my Betta because he is the most personable fish I have ever had. He's almost like having a puppy. He's the only one that has ever had a name though.

5. midna

midna Well Known Member Member

i don't think i'd feel right not naming any of my pets, even if they're just fish. it might be different for schooling fish though, when there are lots and you can't tell them apart. i name pretty much everything: my moss balls, my electronics, my car, random bugs i find outside.

6. Dch48

OMG, you named a moss ball? That's funny to me.

7. midna

midna Well Known Member Member

they're alive!

8. Tony_097

Tony_097 New Member Member

Never crossed my mind to name any of my fish

9. Gala

Gala Well Known Member Member

Ye, I name my snails and my bettas. Don't think I would name schooling fish or anything like that, maybe if one was unique or special to me.
    My bettas also have/had nicknames: little man, big man, crazy, flare fest, gentleman, lazy, or my favorite: psycho bonkers crazy.

10. MaximumRide14

MaximumRide14 Well Known Member Member

I've named my two betta fish and my first platy fry (Ponyo) but none of my other fish or shrimp or snails.

11. allllien

allllien Valued Member Member

I don't name my fish, HOWEVER, a molly I recently bought was constantly in this funny pose, with his dorsal fin up as stiff as he could hold it, and his tail slightly curving up.. All I could think of was Zoolander, and that he must be thinking "I'm really, really, really ridiculously good looking!".. So that fish is now called Zoolander.

12. Discus-Tang

Discus-Tang Well Known Member Member

I have a little story.

A friend of mine had five longneck turtles. You know what he named them? The avengers. He should've called them the Ninja Turtles:facepalm:

13. Colt Frost

Colt Frost Well Known Member Member

My breeding pair of angels, kissing gourami, clown pleco and 2 of my Red hump geos are the only ones to have names as of today. My 2 Angels are named Rose and Kylo, my gourami is Demi, my Clown pleco is Frederick, and my 2 red geos are Las (my big male his name is just to go along with Vegas) and Vegas (my big female, her name because I bought her in Las Vegas). I also sometimes call my 2 little blue angelfish the blue boys. Edit: I just thought of names for my 2 other big angels lol. Callum and Alyx.

14. allllien

allllien Valued Member Member

Ah, and I forgot, awhile back I was in a new shop that had $2 goldfish, just the plain orange type -well, I never normally buy plain orange goldfish but couldn't resist at that price, so being a plain orange goldfish I named it Darwin (goldfish character from 'The Amazing World of Gumball'). He's still going well over in the tub ponds at my parents house, the only one with a name, but they've probably forgotten too haha.

Attached Files:

15. finnipper59

finnipper59 Well Known Member Member

I don't name my fish, but I know they detect sound. I can say Hey babies, want some tasties as I'm approaching the tank and even though they may be looking in other directions, they turn towards the front of the tank and wiggle their entire bodies at me. They're Angelfish.

16. C

CichlidMomErin New Member Member

My son named the fish. All the yellow labs are named “Bananas” the electric blues are named “Blueberry” we used to have plecos in each tank, both named “Paul” we had a syno named “Lacey”. He’s 3 now, 2 when we got the fish and he named them.

17. Discus-Tang

Discus-Tang Well Known Member Member

Cichlids seem to be the most intelligent/inquisitive fish in the stores, they always react the most when you approach their tank.

18. Dch48

If you tell me a moss ball responds to it's name, then I'll know you have a problem. :)

19. BettaFishKeeper4302

BettaFishKeeper4302 Well Known Member Member

Named my first betta that recently passed of old age. I don't name any of my fish but sometimes i do. Not recently though.

20. Goldiemom

Goldiemom Well Known Member Member

I name the ones I can tell apart.