Do you name your fish?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Emily Caldwell, Jul 14, 2015.

1. Emily Caldwell

Emily Caldwell Valued Member Member

I know that some people do and some don't. Curious to hear your naming philosophies.

Personally, I name every fish when possible. It took me a week to name my betta (Oscar de la Renta) because I kept coming up with names that didn't quite fit him. My Jack Dempsey is Big Pun, and that name just popped into my head the first day I had him so it felt meant to be. (FYI, Big Pun is a Puerto Rican rapper from The Bronx who is now deceased. #RIP.)

I have an African Cichlid tank at my office and we are working on coming up with names for everyone. We've had them about a month now and over half of them are named. I let my coworkers pick out a fish or two to name. I have named most of them since I spend the most time with them.

Personally I don't get not naming your fish, but I can see how it might be kind of difficult if you have a lot of them. The other thing is that it makes you more attached to the fish and then it's even harder if they die. :(

So how about you? Are you a namer? What are some of your fish's names?

2. S

Smithsl0106 Valued Member Member

I've only named my male bettas. I have three. Two are in a divided tank, one black and the other white so I named them Ying and Yang. And a yellow one named Mr. Sunshine. :)

3. LeoDiaz

LeoDiaz Fishlore VIP Member

I only have my Mbuna tank none have names. Simple as that.

4. alink

alink Well Known Member Member

I have named my Shark (Magik), my Pleco (King), my two Dwarf Gouramis (Blu, and Mr Pimp), and my two Golden Ram (Shorty and Dr Love). The schooling fish are too hard to keep track of who is who so I dont bother trying. The catfish I dont see enough and I cant tell them apart either.

5. BornThisWayBettas

BornThisWayBettas Fishlore VIP Member

Not anymore too much. Recently, the last one I really called by name died, so that was painful. I do give them names sometimes, but like you said, it's really painful when they die, especially if you've named them.

6. AquaticBrandon

AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

I do name a few, but not all
    My clownfish is named Jeff ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1436908999.347485.jpg
    My Royal Gramma is named Kobe. I named him Kobe because he has the Lakers colors ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1436909040.798919.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

7. Geoff

Geoff Well Known Member Member

His name should be Geoff instead.

8. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

Hahaha, get out of here!

9. Geoff

Jeff is incorrect haha

10. Dom90

Jeff is correct spelling and pronounciation, your way is pronounced G-off :D

11. OP
    OP
    Emily Caldwell

Emily Caldwell Valued Member Member

I can see why you wouldn't name schooling fish. Pretty much impossible to tell them apart!

12. AquaticBrandon

AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

I named him Jeff because of 22 Jumpstreet. "My name is Jeff" lol

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

13. Geoff

No!

14. elliot5445

elliot5445 Well Known Member Member

Haha yes, I have named my fish. I named one of my tiger barbs spot because it has an extra spot on it (ikr), and my sis had a betta named rainbow for a while. I named one of my deceased angelfish beefsteak because it had a patch over its eye that looked like a black eye, and I've heard you put beefsteak on black eyes :D

15. LeoDiaz

If i were to name all my mbuna ill will all just called them the same name proably called them all munchlax lol.

16. Dom90

Lol how are you supposed to differentiate between mbuna when all the females will pretty much look the same haha

17. LeoDiaz

Thats why i will call them all the same name lol.

18. chromedome52

chromedome52 Fishlore VIP Member

In almost 50 years, I have given a pet name to exactly one fish. I had a Distichodus sexfasciatus that had gotten some real size to him. He was the duckweed disposal system. I called him Spot, which I felt was a perfectly appropriate pet name. Here's a picture when he was still young.

I tend to like irony, as well.

19. Gena

Gena Well Known Member Member

I name my favorites.

I started to call my ram cichlid pair Mr. & Mrs. Ram Cichlid as a joke and it just stuck.
    [​IMG]
    And then my figure 8 pufferfish, Sammy. I don't know if Sammy is a Samuel or a Samantha, so it's just Sammy.
    [​IMG]

20. thefishdude277

thefishdude277 Well Known Member Member

I name my centerpiece fish and bettas
    ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1436934583.849853.jpg
    "Leo" is my gourami
    ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1436934612.199449.jpg
    "MIKEY" is my turquoise/blue (or whatever color he is) betta
    ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1436934678.967045.jpg
    And finally here's "Gerard" my red betta (he won't ever stay still!)

:)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice