Do you name your fish?

Do you name your fish?

• Total voters

gremlin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I don't name ALL of them, but the ones that are a little different/unique. I call my copper goldfish my ghost fish because he is dark and hides well in the pond. One that is orange and white I call Sherbie because she looks like a bowl of orange sherbet and vanilla ice cream. My plecos are Plic and Plac (for now). My albino chinese algae eater is lemonfish because of the color while the other one that stayed normal colored is Suckerfish. I have a shark catfish that I call Sharkie. My mosquito fish are all called my Pirahna Fish. My largest male goldfish (all orange) is Big Boy. My shubunkin female is Cali (short for Calico). My newest goldfish, one that was born in my pond, is currently known as the traitor fish. She(?) started out solid copper/black like my ghost fish, but in the last 2 weeks she has turned orange with white tips to her fins. I'm not sure if she is truly a female, her fins are starting to get much longer, more like a males. If she stays as pale an orange as she is, I may name her something else related to her coloring.

cognizant

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I name some. If I have a betta or a single gourami or angel I may name it, but I don't name fish in schools because it gets too confusing. (Look! There goes Moe, Larry, or Curly!)

Coryd55

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I don't view my fish as pets personally. So I don't name them.

I keep them more for the challenge of breeding and just general observation. =)

Cory

sticky fish

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
My plecos are Jeff the Worm and Mr. Sticky
My pearl goldfish is Lucky (he was a rescue from AP bio experiments)
My other goldfish is Stinkbait (he's a pain in the fish gravel)

pamd

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I wasn't a FishLore member way back when this thread was started in March 2006, but saw it tonight thanks to the revival by marcie and sticky fish in the past few days. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it tonight!

Among so many creative names, here's one of my favorites:

Bonochick said:
I used to have a pleco named Leonardo Disuckio.

My female betta is named Candi. That's because she is a "black lace" betta and wears red lipstick. Stripper name.

My male betta is Norbert, named after the ferocious baby dragon in the first Harry Potter book. He's a dragon betta. The betta is not actually ferocious at all, such a sweetie, but the name suits him well. He's never bitten me (which I wouldn't mind), but right out of the shipping bag he was fighting. "Let me out! Let me out! This instant!"

I bought three Habrosus (pygmie) cats for Candi and named them Larry, Darryl and Darryl since I couldn't tell them apart. If you remember the old Bob Newhart show, you'll get the joke.

Kayin1470

Valued Member
Reaction score
naming fish is great but unfortunately tends to make you much more attached and when they die it's that much harder.

I name my fish anyways.

dukeofnada

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have plans for a Indian Dwarf Puffer tank. It will have a stage, large crowd back drop and 4 puffers there names will be James, Lars, Kirk, and Robert.

I wonder if playing loud music in the same room as the fish tanks are in is stressful to the fish.

Alasse

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My 9 Angels have names ~ Castiel, Uriel, ****, Frell, Diablo, Grayson, Angelus, Tigger & Certari

1 Redtailed shark ~ Bomber

3 Betta ~ Valencia, D'Argo & Buddy

If i can tell them apart, as individuals, they get named *L*
3 BN ~ Nosey, Spike & Spikette

kittenface14

Valued Member
Reaction score
I try too, but then I cant keep them straight! So there are certain ones that have I have names for because they are wildly nutty or they just stand out more than the others.

Black male Molly he is King because he likes to chase the ladies and keep them inline!
My son's Balloon Molly is Dolly Girl because she has the markings of a Dalmation.
The two Bleeding Heart Tetras are Fat Butts, they eat like little piggies and the three Serpae Tetras are named Speed Dudes because they like to dart around the tank and be silly wild dudes, as for the others they are baby girl or baby boy!

NaCl

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Naming Fish

A little story about naming your fish......
When my daughter was in 6th grade she had a 20g tank with 8-10 fish & she named each fish. They all died within the first month. She determined at that time it was bad luck to name your fish.
Her teacher bought a tank & fish & wanted to have the class name the fish. Emily strongly advised against it & told her teacher the fish would die if they were named. He went ahead & let the class name the fish & they were all dead the next morning! NO JOKE!! Yes, she said "I told you so" to her teacher.
When Emily was 17 we restocked the 20g from her younger days, she did not name them & I have 2 of the original 5 black skirted Tetras from that tank. They are still nameless & 7 years old!

I swear this is a true story!!!

Sue

TropicalGrimmish

Valued Member
Reaction score
NaCl said:
A little story about naming your fish......
When my daughter was in 6th grade she had a 20g tank with 8-10 fish & she named each fish. They all died within the first month. She determined at that time it was bad luck to name your fish.
Her teacher bought a tank & fish & wanted to have the class name the fish. Emily strongly advised against it & told her teacher the fish would die if they were named. He went ahead & let the class name the fish & they were all dead the next morning! NO JOKE!! Yes, she said "I told you so" to her teacher.
When Emily was 17 we restocked the 20g from her younger days, she did not name them & I have 2 of the original 5 black skirted Tetras from that tank. They are still nameless & 7 years old!

I swear this is a true story!!!

Sue
lol

Blub

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I name my individual fish I can tell apart... But come on, do you really expect me to name all my Bleeding heart tetras?

prairielilly

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
My first betta was Mr Fishie. I was told that was 'unimaginative' - I didn't care, that was his name. He lived 3 years. When he died I got another Mr Fishie. And so on...

At the moment, I have a dwarf gourami who is sort of named Gabriel. That's when I don't call him Mr Fishie....I don't have a betta at the moment (hoping to change that soon).

Fish like cherry barbs, rasboras, many others...they all look a lot alike. Not identical, but alike. So they tend to not get named, unless they have really big personalities.

otocat

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have a crimson red veiltail Betta i've named "Red Dragon of the Nine Spirits a.k.a. Carl". Two Forktail Rainbows named "Burns & Allen" and I have 8 Lampeyed Killis I collectively call "The Crazy 8".

roy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
i have named one Hoover, thats all he does all day long, i think he has even sucked the color of some stones.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom