Do you name your fish? - Page 2

Do you name your fish?

• Total voters

janoue

Reaction score
I name my bettas. doublya (after George W. Bush) Drew, Joey, Pinky and Brain. Those a re my bettas. Some of the community tank (ie tanks without bettas) fish like my daughter named the cat fish "Flora" and she named yellow guppy with the white face, "yellow snow". We have this one black Molly who I call "mean old molly" because she's mean.

The Phin

Reaction score
I name the aquarium center-peice fish. My Rainbow shark is Herman, because he is a bully and if I were a bully, my name would be Herman.

Kayin1470

Reaction score
I name my fishies.

my betas name is Icarus, his body is bluish, black and his fins are a powerful red, wonderful contrast, I made the connection to Icarus, the kid who flew too close to the sun, and caught on fire or something, burned to death. (greek mythology) my beta's fins remind me of fire, and his body looks black unless you look closely, like it was burned. lol....

Big Killis name is Cronos (essentially the ruler of the earth lol, too in depth to explain.)

Little Killis name is Apollo (god of war)

Male Mollie's name is Osiris (sun god)

Female Mollie's name is Athena (goddess of arts and crafts and war)

Big Cory's name is Ulfgar Iron-Tusk (barbarian lol, my cory is awesome.)

Little Cory's name is Anubis (god of mummification)

Group of Neons have no name

Group of Rummynoses have no name...

kra-z-fishmumm

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Same type of thing here. If I can tell them apart, I name them. But one evening, (I know you're gonna laugh or something), I was debating on naming one of my little cories 'Zoro', he was always out and about, taking care of the bottom zone. My husband said "Don't name 'it', or it will die!",,, well calling the little guy it cinched it, I named him...five seconds later, (maybe a minute or two), seriously, he rolled over and died!!!!:;alien Now for the cories I call them old cory small cory albino cory and spotted cory,,, nothing too personal.

Angela_96

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Lets see.. my baby peacocks skittles and dorI and their friend the pleco waldo (hes so dark and the sand in the tank is black we can't ever find him so I'm always going to the tank saying "wheres waldo??)... then my son named the 2 adfrogs kermit and mary... the cichlid fry (3 of them) have yet to be named by me but my 2 year old calls them all nemo.... lol...
In my mbuna tank I have stripes, bumblebee, spike, red, nemo, paco (the pleco), blue, that's all for now that we have named out of 11....
My peacocks aren't named either... yet

purple_phoenix

Reaction score
I have names for all my fish (except of course all the guppy fry, who I just call 'the babies', and one's called Podge )
I only name them after I've had them a while though, as I start getting attached once they have names, and I couldn't bear to lose them.

lalynya

Reaction score
they name themselves...lol..sometimes A name just pops in my head for them sometimes not..my too calico angles go from being black & decker to heckle and jeckel while my veil tail has always been charlie...my past bristle nose was pickle (I couldn't say pleco right) and the new one is pablo (Don't even know if it's a boy or girl yet)..so yes and no

Darlene

Well Known
Reaction score
We have named all our fish. Our five neons we used to have though were just the Autobots...My four year old son is a transformers freak. I think even if we didn't name the fish our boys would.

Bonochick

Well Known
Reaction score
Mine have names. Jasper, Jerry, Conor, Elliott, Steve, Skippy, Napoleon, Jack, Oliver, Reggie, and Kramer.

J J Indy

Reaction score
Yes my Oscar is named Killer by my daughter because it ate her guppy. The Oscar was very small and I didnt think he would bother them since he was small and I was getting him a bigger tank soon but it only took 5 days before he bit their heads off and that's how he got his name.

Poor guppies

Fishies-for-me

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I don't name the guppies ...neons...cories...or glowlights...my bettas are Little Boy Blue...Pretty Boy Floyd ..and Crystal. I havn't named my 4 apple snails but I had one years ago and named it s-car...the kids would get a kick out of it when she was motering along the tank and I would say...( wait now)...LOOK AT THAT S-CAR-GO!!....lol ( escargot)

Alessa

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
named all of my fish... even my four otos which my boyfriend named "oto one, oto two oto three and oto four"

I wonder how he knows whos who lol.

Devon

Well Known
Reaction score
I usually name them if they make it through their initial quarantine. Sometimes you have to wait a while for their personalities to come out before you can settle on the perfect name. With an entire school of fish though, it's hard to name them... I generally will give the group one name. Since my betta's name is David "Ziggy Stardust" Bowie, I've taken to calling my Black Neons "the Spiders from Mars."

heartsongsinger

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Most of my fish have names, but some I can't tell apart so they remain nameless. No names 12 neon tetras, 3 twin-bar platies, 3 danios, and 4 red velvet swordtails (all female and just bought the other day so haven't had time to name)

Red1313

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I name all but the goldfish, goldfish get numbers b/c they usaully go belly up on me a few days after I get them. I've since given up.

Pandora

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I used to name all my fish. Then I had too many fish to keep them straight so it seemed kinda dumb! Plus made it way too hard when I had to sell my breeders to make room for the next generation. I get attached enough to them as it is without naming em. The splendens do have numbers lol. Need to keep track of their parentage!

TFA101

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
yes I do name them, my old black skirts were

Kahuna-Leader
Diva-Only female, best colors
Shorty-Smallest
Blackney and Finn-Always fighting

and there are many others

Tayful

Reaction score
Yes, I name them. And at that, it's usually really off-the-wall names, or I name them after band members I like. Bahah.

fins

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
clown loach ....billy , have an angel I call freckles.ones name is pepper...bettas,lacey,red and grape,bug and prince..cae called slim, glo danio named ogre but the other fish aren't named adf named jumper

rainman

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yes but only if there are only a few of the same type of fish to name. I don't feel it is logical to name every fish in my Cory school.

rileyrk190

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I name my fish after composers, because I don't think I will ever run out of names, and they certainly are unique.

Hypnox

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I tend to generically name all fish of the same species, unless they are remarkably different like my angels. So the 7 black skirt tetras I have are all named Taco. The black angel is named Gabrielle, the White angel is Michael. I have a bamboo shrimp who hides all the time so I named him Waldo.

GouramiGirl1221

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I've named my fish so far and plan on naming my others...
not really sure what I'm gonna do when I have a school of hatchets, but I can give it a try right?

New Threads