Do you name your fish?

Do you name your fish?

• Total voters

Jon

Hey wondering how many people give their fish names... seems like everyone names their bettas but not other fish.

Mystical

I not only name them, I also change their names every year.

Marc

I have far too many fish to name and identify them individually (some of them, like the Pictus)

newbie101

Mystical said:
I not only name them, I also change their names every year.
lol, I named my pleco (blink) and ghost shrimp (boo and whiskers) but nobody else.

beckers4oranges

I have 42 fish and they all have names

newbie101

wow

vin

I don't name them, but my son named his Neon Blue Dwarf GouramI "Bubba" because he'll occasionally chase the other fish away from his spot. He calls him "Bubba the Bully".

Jon

lol wow! cool!

you rename them every year? wow!

Mystical

Yeah, I'm a little crazy. I figure it's alright though, they'll never know that they've have 6 names in their life hehehe. Bob figured out how to say his name, then again all the other fish say it too. (Just mouth the word Bob, you'll get it)

0morrokh

My fish all have names. (you can see them at the bottom af all my posts. )
I always name my pets, no matter what kind of animal they are.

wolfman21

Gotta make them personal!

Jimold

Most of my people don't have names, but my red-gold angel is named "Sparkle"

sgould

No. And my kids harass me about it all the time.

Neville

yes, I name my fish, but didn't name my female guppies, they all look same to me.

inuyasha_lover_21

I only name a few. Like my anemone and when I get the clown he will get a name but my corys in my Freshwater tank won't get a name because I have 11 of them.

Neville

I named my betta Mr. Blue....he is all blue.

tan.b

some of the guppies have names which my son came up with.....they're called 'me' 'nemo' 'dory'. the older plec is just called mrs. bristlenose, and the loach is called mr. loach.....do they even count as names?! but the danios and tetras etc all the same, so it would be impossible. the new baby plecs are nameless at the mo as we can't tell them apart. maybe when they get bigger we can tell them apart? if a girl and boy that would be ace!!!
tan

armadillo

I don't name them out of superstition. I figure as long as I just call them by their description ('fatty', 'circus freak', 'ginger head', 'brown sucker', etc. you get the gist), they'll do fine, but the day I give them a name...

PrayforMojo

My girlfriend believs that giving any of your fish name is certainly sealing there spot in davey jones locker. I have not tested this theory as we have not lost a fishdoe to date.
mojo

COBettaCouple

We name all our fish, even the otos & corys when I can hardly tell them apart. lol.

armadillo

Mojo, good to hear am not the only one with that superstition!

Bonochick

I name my fish.  I currently have Jasper, Jerry, Elliott, Conor, Steve, Skippy, Jack, Meg, Oliver, Alex, Napoleon, and Kramer.

Sabi

I've named some of my fish.
Gourami; Goldie, Guppy; Blushy-boy, Dwar gourami; Toughy, Pleco; Algy

PrayforMojo

it is a small world armadillo. lol
mojo

Gargoyle

Out of the 20 or so fish we currently have only 2 of them have names... One is my daughters Betta (she calls the other fish "FOOD" ) LOL!! and the other is the sword I spent weeks on trying to make him better...

lolagurl

armadillo said:
Mojo, good to hear am not the only one with that superstition!
I have that superstition too. the last time I named one had it for three months one night decided to call it something. in the morning dead.

armadillo

Oh my! I knew it! We're onto something I tell ya, we're onto something!

trishjc

Only some of them, and mostly something that already goes,
Pleco is Sucky, yoyo loach is Yoyo, oto is Little Sucky,
and my passed on Betta was Mr. Betta.
But my 2 honey gouramis, 2 rainbow fish, 1 neon the 3 cherry barbs are still nameless.
I find that if I have more than 1 of the species they are harder to name.

armadillo

trishjc said:
Only some of them, and mostly something that already goes,
Pleco is Sucky, yoyo loach is Yoyo, oto is Little Sucky,
and my passed on Betta  was Mr. Betta.
But my 2 honey gouramis, 2 rainbow fish, 1 neon the 3 cherry barbs are still nameless.
I find that if I have more than 1 of the species they are harder to name.
Well according to my theory that it's bad luck to name them, you're doing OK, because you're just calling them by their description, really. I declare your fish safe from the naming curse!

Bonochick

trishjc said:
Pleco is Sucky
I used to have a pleco named Leonardo Disuckio.

armadillo

trishjc said:

ha ha ha ha. No, hang on. HA HA HA HA HAAAAAAA!

armadillo

What a great thread. What a great thread!

COBettaCouple

Bonochick said:
LOL.. I LOVE that name! Can I borrow it for one of our otos? jk.. he's already named Leo (along with Raph, Donny, Mikey and Splinter) but that's a great name!

armadillo

JI'm said:
Most of my people don't have names, but my red-gold angel is named "Sparkle"
Cute fish

MissMTS

I name most of my fish. I don't name my tetras because I can't tell them apart (bad fish-mommy!) I can't tell apart my 3 keyhole cichlids yet, so I named the The Three Musketeers as a collective name.

King_Snuggles

My girlfriend named all my fish and my ADfrog. I named my shrimp (Shrimp 5 and Shrimp 6 becaues they are not creative just to bug her)

Shaina

Yes, but only the ones with real personalities. Example: I had three cichlids a few years ago named Big Blue, OJ, and Speed E. Racer (since traded in at the LFS due to having to tear my tank down for a few months during a move). I generally don't name schooling fish unless as a group (aka, The Brute Squad, or something like that).

joshthefisherman

WELL THE ONE I HAVE I DO BUT ITS HARD TO NAME A SCHOOL ITS ooooZZY THE OSCAR

Jimold

It depends on the fish. Usually for me a fish has to either look or act unusual or unique in some way. Then it gets a name to match whatever makes it stand out from the rest.

Allie

If a fish stands out it usually gets a name...like my betta, some of the fancy plecos and angels. Only my blue haps have names out of our Africans, Spike and Blu (female).

Top Bottom