Do you leave the biofilm on your glass?

Nianichole

Hi, I have biofilm on my aquarium glass, which I know is normal and good. I've been leaving it alone, but wondered what you all do about it.

Do you clean it off? Leave it alone? If you have established bacteria elsewhere does it matter?

Thanks!

GusMcGrath202020

What type of tank is it? planted?

Upvote 0

BigManAquatics

My snails eat it.

Upvote 0

gms38

I guess as long as it is not unsightly I leave it. If it makes the front of the tank cloudy or grows algae I clean it with a magic eraser, no chemicals.

Upvote 0

AggressiveAquatics

I leave mine because the snails get it

Upvote 0

ButtercuptheOranda

Hi, I have biofilm on my aquarium glass, which I know is normal and good. I've been leaving it alone, but wondered what you all do about it.

Do you clean it off? Leave it alone? If you have established bacteria elsewhere does it matter?

Thanks!
I leave it on for my snails and pleco to eat

Upvote 0

Nianichole

Awesome, thanks everyone!

It makes sense to leave it as part of the ecosystem if I gave something in there that will eat it.

Upvote 0

MasterPython

If you like taking pictures scraping one or two sides makes them turn out better. I think the biofilm on glass is less tasty than on the plants so the snails don't keep it spotless.

Upvote 0

BlackOsprey

I clean the front pane since the aquarium looks better when the view isn't fogged by algae. I leave the rest alone since it's free food for the shrimp and I think it actually looks nice on the back pane of a planted tank.

I don't think cleaning the glass has a noticeable effect on beneficial bacteria count. Most of the bacteria will be living in the substrate, which has much more surface area than a smooth glass pane.

Upvote 0

Debbie1986

my 36 bow front, I wipe glass down with a paper towel.

it has no plants and gets a brown algae if not wiped every 2 weeks.

I use Sea Chem Pristine and vacuum that tank. But I hate crud, lol so I wipe it. Less gunk= cleaner tank

my 38 long - tons of snails. I never wipe it down after getting snails last year.

Upvote 0

mattgirl

I clean it off the front and sides with each water change but never on the back glass.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
tapwater
Replies
Views
Fishstery
Replies
Views
mattgirl
  • Question