Do you know how much your electricity cost to run your aquarium?

Fish_Man

Hi

I decided to check on electricity cost to run a tank and its crazy how much some people have to pay depending where they live!!

To calculate the monthly cost = (x)watts x (x)hours/day x 30/31 days.

Example. Heater 50watts x 24hrs x 30days = 36000 watts then
it cost 0.058 for every Kwh. so it cost me 2.088 a month just for one of my heaters.

This doesn't calculate all the extra fees those companies like to charge us

How much do you pay??!!!

Aquarist

This link should help members to figure out the electrical costs for each tank:

Ken

Shawnie

ALLOT is all I can say LOL
matter of fact the guilt of our electric bill, has caused me to make some decisions and downsize my tanks ....my bf isn't into fish as I am and I hate that the bill is so much because of my obsession ...

Red1313

Gasp! Shawnie Downsizing!! <HUGS>
I know that I as paying about $25-30 last summer to run the tanks, the fridge and have the stove and microwave plugged in. (I had the apartment but was only there once a week). Even when I was living in the apartment the power bill was around 30 something a month. I do know I'll probably start slipping my landlord a 20 along with the rent cheque starting in May to cover it a little bit.

funkman262

Fish_Man said:
Example. Heater 50watts x 24hrs x 30days = 36000 watts then
it cost 0.058 for every Kwh. so it cost me 2.088 a month just for one of my heaters.
That's assuming the heater is running 24 hours a day which it probably isn't

Lucy

Sshhhh lol
I added a few tanks just as our rates went up last year so my husband didn't make the connection.

Red1313

Lucy said:
Sshhhh lol
I added a few tanks just as our rates went up last year so my husband didn't make the connection.
No that is a sneaky and underhanded way to do it
You've got my approval

Fish_Man

I can imagine with the amount of tanks you have!!

Jaysee

another reason I don't have live plants - lights cost more than anything. I only have the lights on for 6 hours a day.

I use more powerful heaters than are recommended. underpowered heaters take longer to bring the temp up.

my obsession accounts for perhaps a third of the electric bill, so about $50/month. that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Fish_Man

is that 50/month for all your tanks together?

HitchHiker

Less than all my computers cost

bolivianbaby

Do I truly want to know how much of my electric bill is caused by my 25+ tanks? We know I won't downsize (I'm too selfish), but I'm not sure I want anything to prevent future cases of MTS.

Jaysee

Yes fishman, all together

Fish_Man

that sounds pretty good for the size and amount of tank you have.

Shawnie

mines $90-120 more a month to keep the tanks up to par...

Aquarist

Hello,
Luckily, my Chef pays the electric bill. I'm not as nice as Shawnie...I'll just let him keep paying it as is! ROFL....

Ken

Fish_Man

now that's a lot Shawnie

Shawnie

Fish_Man

but I'm sure the enjoyment out-weights the cost right now right!!!

Shawnie

Fish_Man said:
but I'm sure the enjoyment out-weights the cost right now right!!!
does for me!!!!!!! but not for the one that pays the bill...which isn't me

midthought

Huh, I thought the cost would be a lot more than this actually. I was expecting to pay my boyfriend an extra 25 a month for my part in keeping 2 heated filtered tanks (29 and 10 gallons), but it seems like they'll barely cost 10 or 15 a month if our rates are comparable. Honestly, I have no idea what our rates are. >.>

LyndaB

aquarist48 said:
Hello,
Luckily, my Chef pays the electric bill. I'm not as nice as Shawnie...I'll just let him keep paying it as is! ROFL....

Ken

mosin360

I have no clue but unless it tops the gas bill, I'm not worried.

Jaysee

Midthought - Your boyfriend is gonna make you pay for the fish tank electricity??

Fish_Man

It cost $0.058 / KwH over here

I've read some people pay way more than that in other countries.

Shawnie

Fish_Man said:
It cost $0.058 / KwH over here

I've read some people pay way more than that in other countries.
ours is $0.15 KwH here

cm11599ps

$ .1790 here.

David C

My 90g reef, 55gal FW, 29gal QT, 10Hospital, and 6.6gal betta tank that are all up and running cost around $20-$25 a month. Costs more to feed the dogs a month than the fish expenses so my wife doesn't hassle me

Dave

midthought

Jaysee said:
Midthought - Your boyfriend is gonna make you pay for the fish tank electricity??
Mmm, he didn't exactly make me, but it just seemed fair, at least when I thought that the electric bill might go up by 25, 50 bucks a month. We live together but we're not married and don't share a bank account or anything. We both work (or at least technically I work, part time while in full time school.) But why should he pay for my random hobby? I don't pay for his Magic: the Gathering cards...

Fish_Man

true that midthought.

and David that's pretty good for the type of tanks you have.

TedsTank

I don't want to know!!...lolol
What it is is what it is. My heaters don't run even half the day...as the weather warms up they won't run at all.

bubblynutter

I'm not as concerned with the electricity bill as I am with the water bill. I have been doing a LOT of water changes over the last few weeks, and I have a 180g on the way!!

We are on pretty severe water restrictions here, and our government are trying to make us use 155L (41G) per person per day. I use way more than that in filling up the tanks...
Plus our water bills are about to get REALLY expensive, as we are being charged for the priviledge of our government installing desalination plants to combat the drought.

funkman262

bubblynutter said:
I'm not as concerned with the electricity bill as I am with the water bill. I have been doing a LOT of water changes over the last few weeks, and I have a 180g on the way!!

We are on pretty severe water restrictions here, and our government are trying to make us use 155L (41G) per person per day. I use way more than that in filling up the tanks...
Plus our water bills are about to get REALLY expensive, as we are being charged for the priviledge of our government installing desalination plants to combat the drought.
Are they not using recycled water in your part of Australia?

bubblynutter

here and there. It's not mandated anywhere, except for places like commercial car washes. We've had a drought for more than a decade, so things are slowly progressing towards sustainable usage. There are government rebates for things like installing rainwater tanks, and greywater systems in residential properties, but there has been an attitude of "she'll be right" for a VERY long time!

Fish_Man

very interesting... things that I don't know in other parts of the world

REDKAHUNA

Lets see I have an 18 x 24 shed in my yard.

15 4 ft double bulb flour. lights
2 2 ft lights
1 large blower
2 dehumidifiers
1 full size frig.
scale for whieghing boxes
A/C for summer
TV with cable

I also heat this building with electric to keep the tanks warm no heaters in the tanks. I supplement with kerosene during the winter.

My bill is 160.00 more per month and I use around 70.00 in water. so $230.00 a month to run my room. That's what I charge back to myself every month from selling the cories. The room pays for itself along with purchasing new stock etc. nothing comes out of pocket from me just from my small business.

funkman262

bubblynutter said:
here and there. It's not mandated anywhere, except for places like commercial car washes. We've had a drought for more than a decade, so things are slowly progressing towards sustainable usage. There are government rebates for things like installing rainwater tanks, and greywater systems in residential properties, but there has been an attitude of "she'll be right" for a VERY long time!
So none of it being used for drinking water? There's one place that I know in California that uses recycled water for aquifer recharge for drinking water purposes. In my city (Tampa, Florida), they recently built the largest desalination plant in the country but luckily I don't get my drinking water from them because that would be expensive. Over here, recycled water is mainly being used for watering lawns.

Back to the OP, I'm curious how much the electric bill is for saltwater keepers! I'd love to own a saltwater tank but needing to keep 500W lights, heaters, chillers and all that must be crazy expensive.

HOWsMom

Nothing.

My electricity and water costs are all bundled into my condo fee, along with maintenance, hot water, insurance, etc.

Fish_Man

lucky you PhonicBus, I live in a condo too but like most new ones, electricity isn't covered anymore but water is!!

HOWsMom

This place isn't new - built in '73. There's been some talk about doing separate electric billing, but it hasn't come into play yet, and honestly I don't see this condo board getting their act together enough to actually do it.

I do NOT complain too much about the complete billing - except when I've been asking for 2 years to put up an umbrella-style clothes rack outside and being denied, then hearing them yip and complain about too much electric/water usage.

Top Bottom