Do you hear/notice filters/pumps etc?

AcuarioAmazonico

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
So a mate just popped over very quickly to borrow something. He went upstairs to my room to use the loo.

When he came downstairs he said “how on earth do you sleep up there?”

I assumed he was having a jab at me not keeping a clean house (I’m single who cares! Lol) but then he said “with the filters and air pumps and water sound I’m amazed you can get any rest at all”

Well I don’t know - I don’t hear it! We obviously adjust quite quickly (have you ever lived by a railway line and wondered why people were looking around to hear where that noise came from? Noise? What noise? You shout at the top of your lungs!)

When there’s something wrong and a filter is struggling - or there’s a sound that is not normal I wake up ready to pounce. But the standard humming and grinding of various tanks is quite soothing to me. Especially the water trickle sound - which I only notice now when I play back videos of the aquariums! :)

Do you notice / Are you bothered by aquarium noises or are they just ambient noises to you now?

nyone else have tanks in their bedroom? Mine are just the small ones - and I love having them there...

2479A2F9-CCA6-4368-9629-C4F2DC1DCC75.jpeg2EC68D34-3D3C-42E1-9616-0C96C9567AC7.jpeg

FishGirly

Reaction score
Omg I hear it all the time. I didn’t really hear it much in my old house, but I moved houses and I can hear my tanks all the way from the hall. I had to remove the sponge filters and replace filters like 3 times because I could hear the vibrations. I finally settled on canister filters for the tanks ( and although I wouldn’t say they are whisper silent, I can live with it).

In my old house I had about 6 in my room, however now I have since removed all from my room because I can’t take the noise. I think this new house allows noises to be amplified or something.

Basil

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
All my tanks are on my first floor but I can hear the sponge filter in the 75 when I’m in bed. I actually like to hear it as I know it’s up and running ok.
Same when I’m downstairs; I hear the normal filter sounds and know all is well.
When I hear something abnormal then I go into slight panic mode while I figure out what is wrong lol!

SeaMonkey06

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
AcuarioAmazonico said:
So a mate just popped over very quickly to borrow something. He went upstairs to my room to use the loo.

When he came downstairs he said “how on earth do you sleep up there?”

I assumed he was having a jab at me not keeping a clean house (I’m single who cares! Lol) but then he said “with the filters and air pumps and water sound I’m amazed you can get any rest at all”

Well I don’t know - I don’t hear it! We obviously adjust quite quickly (have you ever lived by a railway line and wondered why people were looking around to hear where that noise came from? Noise? What noise? You shout at the top of your lungs!)

When there’s something wrong and a filter is struggling - or there’s a sound that is not normal I wake up ready to pounce. But the standard humming and grinding of various tanks is quite soothing to me. Especially the water trickle sound - which I only notice now when I play back videos of the aquariums! :)

Do you notice / Are you bothered by aquarium noises or are they just ambient noises to you now?

nyone else have tanks in their bedroom? Mine are just the small ones - and I love having them there...

2479A2F9-CCA6-4368-9629-C4F2DC1DCC75.jpeg2EC68D34-3D3C-42E1-9616-0C96C9567AC7.jpeg
I easily got used to my 5gal filter sound. I felt as though it wasn't there.
Fairly recently, I got a 12.5Gal which I thought (at first) was so LOUD! I am now completely used to it, in fact, as you said - it sounds soothing! I also keep my tanks in my room (two of them, my sister has the other in her room) and it's just become normal for me!

skar

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
My tank is downstairs and I find the slight trickle of water calming.

I also keep the water level pretty high so it's not very loud or bothersome in the least.

Gouramiwhisperer

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Image1576295797.741458.jpg

I have a 60gal in my room and I love the sound of it whenever I’m going to bed it puts me right to sleep. My boyfriend doesn’t like it so much and thinks it’s waaaay too loud!

BettasRule

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
LOL, I have three ten gallons in my room, and if the water gets too low, (like every three weeks...) filters are SUPER loud! I just get used to it though, and it's never bothered me. Then when I fill them again, I'm always super amazed at how quiet they can be!

New Threads