Do you have any good ideas for a biotope aquarium? 60 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Emberdee, Apr 5, 2010.

1. Emberdee

Emberdee Valued Member Member

:;hi1 Hi all! I have my 60 gallon tank all cycled and ready for fish. Now begs the question... What to put in it? I am thinking of going along the lines of a biotope theme...

Maybe Asian blackwater? I like the idea of an asian blackwater biotope because I could get pearl gouramis. If I did a biotope like that, what else would go into it? I'm also open to different ideas, so all suggestions are welcomed and encouraged. Thanks for any ideas.

2. Nutter

Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

For catfish you could have Dwarf Ornate Bagrid (Aspidoras Pauciradiatus) from Malaysia & Indonesia. Dwarf Chain Loaches are from Indi & Northern Thailand as another bottom feeder. Many Barbs species are from various parts of Asia so they would be a great choice to start wih as mid water fish. Rasbpras are also from Asia so might work for you.

South American biotypes are good to do as there are lots of different fish & plants to choose from. Tetras, many cichlids, Plecos etc.

3. OP
    OP
    Emberdee

Yeah... Thanks! I was thinking either Asian or South American. I like rasboras and loaches are really cool. I like the look of clowns, but I know they're not really a beginner fish and get pretty big. Are glass catfish hard to care for? They look really cool and are asian fish, so that might work. Well anyway, thanks for the ideas. :)

4. Nutter

Glass Cats are cool & easy to care. I think they would be ok depending on what you put them with. I think they would be ok with a Gourami & Rasboras but I don't know about how they would go with Barbs. Cherry Barbs would most likely be ok with them at least.

5. platy ben

platy ben Well Known Member Member

One of my books has an asian aquarium, let me just see whats in it..... okay, its a south-east asain aquarium and in it I can see:

Pearl gouramis
    Harlequin rasboras
    Clown loaches (get big as you know)
    Siamese algae eaters

6. OP
    OP
    Emberdee

Okay... Cool. Thanks! I probably wouldn't get any barbs, as I don't want to run the risk of fin-nipping. Are siamese algae eaters also flying foxes? And, can they be aggressive? I know Chinese Algae Eaters can be. Do glass catfish clean the tank bottoms? I mean, it's not necessary for me, but it might be nice. I think I'll probably be going with rasboras, pearl gouramis, and glass cats. Thanks

7. Nutter

Siamese Algae Eaters & Flying Foxes are two different fish though some aquariums that don't know better mis label thier fish or will try to tell you they are the same.

Here's a link to help you recognise the true Siamese Algae Eater:
    https://www.fishlore.com/aquariummagazine/may08/siamese-algae-eater-id.htm

I don't know if Glass Cats will clean up down the bottom but I imagine like most fish they will do some cleaning.

Cherry Barbs don't nip very much at all if you do decide you want to try a species of Barb as well but I quite like the list that you have proposed.

8. p

potatos Valued Member Member

You could also do an african cichlid tank. you could either do only types from one lake if you wanted a very accurate biotype.

9. OP
    OP
    Emberdee

Okay, yeah. I'm not that big on cichlids, even though they look cool I don't want to run the risk of aggression. Okay, it's nice to know that cherry barbs aren't very nippy, so I could keep them with the other fish. Since my tank is newly cycled, which would you add first: Glass Cats, Pearl Gouramis, or Rasboras? If I do decide on cherry barbs, they would go in first, right? Thanks for all the help and ideas!

10. Nutter

Yes the Cherry Barbs would go first if you did decide you want them. I would put the Rasboras in first otherwise & then the Glass Cats & then the Gourami.

11. OP
    OP
    Emberdee

Okay. Would Celestial Pearl Danios work? I know some danios stress the gouramis, but I read somewhere that Celestial Pearl Danios might.

12. platy ben

platy ben Well Known Member Member

I don't think celestial pearls would bother them :) I know them as galaxy rasboras, so I'm not sure whether they are part of the danio family or the rasbora family.

13. OP
    OP
    Emberdee

Okay, that's good. I'm not sure whether they're danios or rasboras... But thanks for the help! I'll look for them when I can, if not I guess I can order them, or get some other asian schooling fish!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice