Do you have any essential meds? Question

1. can haz catfishies? Member Member

At the moment I am treating my 300l for a slight outbreak of white spot, (I guess I didn't quarantine for long enough) at the moment I am using heat to try and beat it as I have fry in the tank but I was chatting to the guys in my lfs who I trust and they recommended two meds that they said every fish keeper should have for emergencies (waterlife myxazin for finrot and bacterial infections and protozin for white spot and fungus infections) now I don't like meds if I can avoid them but it got me wondering do any of you have meds that you keep close to hand for emergencies?

2. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Parasite meds are the only things I have on hand. I treat new fish for parasites while in quarantine - after all, that is the purpose of quarantining :) Most other issues can be solved with water changes if caught early enough, IME.

3. iZaO Jnr Well Known Member Member

I carry Tetra General Tonic that i use as a bath to any new arrivals before quarantine. I also carry metranidizole, which treats most internal parasites. Beyond that i dont carry anything to TREAT for bacterial issues. The general tonic isnt really a treatment but more as a precautionary thing. As for anything bacterial related, good quarantine and water quality practises are all thats needed. I've never had a bacterial problem with any of my fish, ever and i believe thats down to good quarantine practices and good tank maintenance.

Agreed. Water changes, or slight alterations to water chemistry.

4. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

Yup, thats about all I keep, some parasite cure and HEAT can't beat those for curing most of what ails them.