Do you have a public Aquarium near you?

Gozer_1
I was just wondering if anyone has a Public Aquarium near them. I know you do COBettaCouple. The Denver Aquarium is pretty nice and fairly large for being VERY far from the sea. They have a nice shark tank and the over all setup is pretty neat. They have an Amazon river section and a Platte river section. Both lead you to the sea where they have Sharks, Jellys, and all that stuff. If I remember right they have a GIANT Grouper. He was floor level and just staring at me. I think it said he weighed 300 LBS.

If you don't have one near by, have you ever been to one? I have been to The Denver Aquarium, The National Aquarium in D.C., and the National Zoo also in D.C. The Zoo Aquarium is AWESOME. The Denver Aquarium is pretty neat. I was dissapointed with the National Aquarium. It's the only "museum" type place I had to pay to get in and it is quite small. Had a heck of a time finding it. It's in the basement of the National Commerce building. Walked past it 3 times before I realized it was down there. After visiting the National Gallery of Art and various other FREE museums, it was a bummer to pay for the Aquarium. I guess they have bills to pay right. The Zoo was FREE and they have MUCH larger bills to pay. I guess Smithsonian just gets more donations.

jsalemi
Since I live across the river from DC, I guess you could say the National Aquarium and the National Zoo are MY local aquariums. I've been to the Zoo, but never to the National Aquarium, actually.

Baltimore is supposed to have a nice one. We keep talking about taking a weekend trip up there -- maybe we will one of these days.

Haven't been to the Denver one, but the one is Seattle has to be one of my favorites. It's a mix of indoor and outdoor, as it's right on the bay. Great otter exhibit, and of course salmon. The aquarium in New Orleans is also a favorite, but we haven't been down there since Katrina, so I don't know what shape it's in these days.

Tom
I don't think I have a public aquarium, but have plenty of people who sell fish.
Tom

Gozer_1
Since I live across the river from DC, I guess you could say the National Aquarium and the National Zoo are MY local aquariums. I've been to the Zoo, but never to the National Aquarium, actually.

Baltimore is supposed to have a nice one. We keep talking about taking a weekend trip up there -- maybe we will one of these days.

I used to live near Baltimore but never got to go either.

I love Amazonia at the Zoo. I was there in Febuary so was glad to be somewhere much warmer. lol As for the National Aquarium, if you decide to go, it's across from the Ronald Regan Building. Has a tiny little sign on the door. lol Good luck finding it. I've been to DC countless times and didn't even know it existed till this last vacation. Better to just hop on a Metro ride to the Zoo though.

armadillo
We've got a Sea Life Centre about 10km down the road. It's quite a big one, I like it.

COBettaCouple
you mean the aquarium downtown? if so, I think it's is in it's 3rd (at least) incarnation and ownership since it first opened. I happened to visit Denver for the first time in summer 2000 and went to it then.

Gozer_1
you mean the aquarium downtown? if so, I think it's is in it's 3rd (at least) incarnation and ownership since it first opened. I happened to visit Denver for the first time in summer 2000 and went to it then.

Oh, right, it's called The Downtown Aquarium. Yeah, it's had a troubled past. I was there in December and it was really nice. Especially considering it's location. Hard to get farther from the sea. You have mountains to deal with in between. lol They have a nice bar\restaurant. Huge tanks all around the bar area. I didn't know it was there until a friend and I were unable to get into an Avs game, so ended up at the AquarI'm next door. lol Not exactly hockey. Was only 10 bucks I think. So, at least I saved some cash. lol I'm sure my fish appreciated it.

Dino
I have been to The Tennessee Aquarium in Chattanooga, The Baltimore Aquarium, The New England Aquarium ( Boston), Ripliey's Aquarium of the Smokies, Ripliey's Aquarium at Myrtle Beach,North Carolina,The Shed Aquarium in Chicago and Sea World in San Antonio,Texas.

Gozer_1
Oh yeah, I've been to Sea World San Diego too duh. I forgot, that was when I was a kid.

MagpieTear
PPG Aquarium at the Pittsburgh Zoo. Several of the PA Fish and Game hatcheries have nice sized public aquariums of local fish you can tour for free. Nothing like getting up close to a 40" Muskellunge or a 30" Channel Cat.

Last time I was at the PPG, I saw plecos that were bigger than my beagle in with the Amazon Dolphins

sgould
Closest for me would be Shedd in Chicago, which would be roughly 2 hours from me in Milwaukee. It's been a number of years since I've been there though, and I understand the cost to get in has gotten quite extravegant.

Allie
Nope not here.

Jimold
OK, we have one in Tampa, and of course Seaworld in Orlando (about 2 hours from here). And there's a small one in Tarpon Springs, just south of here. But in my opinion one that's much cooler (although technically not an aquarium) is Wicki-WatchI Springs, about an hour north of here. This is a big protected area where they keep rescued manatees. It's beautiful, almost primordial jungle, with this huge, crystal clear spring feeding out into a big lagoon and eventually the gulf. The manatees have been coming here naturally long before you or I or any of our ancestors were around, so it's the perfect place to put a sanctuary.
Anyway, I'm babbling. What I wanted to tell you all about is that not only do manatees come up here from the gulf, so do a lot of salt water fish not normally seen in water this fresh. And I mean a LOT!! No-one can really explain it.
But I have seen it: they have a big sort of underground viewing area, where you go down these stairs and look out a huge glass window into the lagoon. And sure enough, there are literally thousands of fish, individual or schools (real schools). More than you could count or hope to identify, except most were definitly saltwater fish. It is absolutly amazing, I must have stood there an hour.
If anyone plans on coming to florida near Tampa-St. Pete or Orlando anytime soon, let me know and I'll get you directions.

COBettaCouple
yea, it's a nice place but I wish it were out of downtown. It just about takes an Avs game to get me down there.

Oh, right, it's called The Downtown Aquarium. Yeah, it's had a troubled past. I was there in December and it was really nice. Especially considering it's location. Hard to get farther from the sea. You have mountains to deal with in between. lol They have a nice bar\restaurant. Huge tanks all around the bar area. I didn't know it was there until a friend and I were unable to get into an Avs game, so ended up at the AquarI'm next door. lol Not exactly hockey. Was only 10 bucks I think. So, at least I saved some cash. lol I'm sure my fish appreciated it.

COBettaCouple
yea, we have some great places in Florida for people to see fish! growing up there, you sometimes forget how many are all around. Silver Springs glass-bottom boats are a nice little side trip too.

OK, we have one in Tampa, and of course Seaworld in Orlando (about 2 hours from here). And there's a small one in Tarpon Springs, just south of here. But in my opinion one that's much cooler (although technically not an aquarium) is Wicki-WatchI Springs, about an hour north of here. This is a big protected area where they keep rescued manatees. It's beautiful, almost primordial jungle, with this huge, crystal clear spring feeding out into a big lagoon and eventually the gulf. The manatees have been coming here naturally long before you or I or any of our ancestors were around, so it's the perfect place to put a sanctuary.
Anyway, I'm babbling. What I wanted to tell you all about is that not only do manatees come up here from the gulf, so do a lot of salt water fish not normally seen in water this fresh. And I mean a LOT!! No-one can really explain it.
But I have seen it: they have a big sort of underground viewing area, where you go down these stairs and look out a huge glass window into the lagoon. And sure enough, there are literally thousands of fish, individual or schools (real schools). More than you could count or hope to identify, except most were definitly saltwater fish. It is absolutly amazing, I must have stood there an hour.
If anyone plans on coming to florida near Tampa-St. Pete or Orlando anytime soon, let me know and I'll get you directions.

armadillo
Wow, Seaworld! I'd love to visit that! I did visit the St Augustine reptile farm, but I guess that doesn't count!

OK, we have one in Tampa, and of course Seaworld in Orlando (about 2 hours from here).

armadillo
How AWESOME would that be. You guys were really lucky! Remind me why you moved to CO, LOL?
yea, we have some great places in Florida for people to see fish! growing up there, you sometimes forget how many are all around. Silver Springs glass-bottom boats are a nice little side trip too.

agsansoo
We have the Long Beach Aquarium, across the harbor from the Queen Mary. Also I've been told you can get free saltwater there, for those of us the have reef aquariums . There's also SeaWorld San Diego ! The shark display is my favorite.

atmmachine816
I have the cleveland metroparks zoo, they have a nice aquarium since they received some of the equipment when the cleveland aquarium closed in the 80's. Supposedly there is a commitee of some sort in the process of raising funds to create a cleveland aquarium again so that would be cool. I've been to the aquarium at fort fisher and north carolina and the national aquarium. I agree with you gozer, it is a bit dissapointing. Hard to find, there's a fee and it's really not that big or have that many exibits. I was a bit dissapointed to find it was so small after paying the largest sum of money to get into a place at DC.

Dino
Shed's cost over 50 million a year to keep running.
I can see why they have gone up on admission.

Chattanooga cost almost 18$ for nonmembers.

Gozer_1
We have the Long Beach Aquarium, across the harbor from the Queen Mary. Also I've been told you can get free saltwater there, for those of us the have reef aquariums . There's also SeaWorld San Diego ! The shark display is my favorite.
I lived in Long Beach for about 8 Months but never got to go. I wasn't much of an enthusiast at the time.

Dino:
Worth every penny of that 50 Mill too.

COBettaCouple
lol.. no, not really much in the way of fish at The Alligator Farm.

Wow, Seaworld! I'd love to visit that! I did visit the St Augustine reptile farm, but I guess that doesn't count!

Sabi
I have a public aquarium here. Mostly they have sharks, dolphins and other big creatures.

Tazmiche
We have the 'Blue Planet aquarium' Ellesmere Port Cheshire. Is ok. I believe there is another in Seacombe but have never been

fungusonmytoe
There's no aquarium around where I live, but just last week we took a trip to Chicago and went to the Shedd Aquarium. It was absolutly AMAZING!!!! We spent the whole day there, really impressive place.
I'm actually in the process of declaring a concentration for my major in enviro. biology to be fisheries sciences, I want to try to get an internship there my senior year.
It would be so cool to work at a public aquarium!

Gozer_1
There's no aquarium around where I live, but just last week we took a trip to Chicago and went to the Shedd Aquarium. It was absolutly AMAZING!!!! We spent the whole day there, really impressive place.
I'm actually in the process of declaring a concentration for my major in enviro. biology to be fisheries sciences, I want to try to get an internship there my senior year.
It would be so cool to work at a public aquarium!

I've thought it'd be fun. Hard work though. That's ALOT of fish poo. lol If I lived close enough to one I'd probably try to volunteer. Would be great fun.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
RedLoredAmazon
Replies
Views
FinalFins
Replies
Views
jetajockey
Replies
Views