Do you guys know if Parasite Clear medication is safe for loaches?

1. NeonFlux

NeonFlux Valued Member Member

Like the title states, I just want to know and was wondering. I know praziquantel is pretty safe, and it is one of the active ingredients in Parasite Clear, but as for the other drugs in it, I'm not so sure. It also has metronidazole, acriflavine, and diflubenzuron. What do you guys think? If I were to go with it, should I just use 1/2 dose, or maybe 3/4 dose just to be on the safe side? Have you gone for a full dose without any problems? I don't have any inverts, so I don't need to worry about taking out any.

I would greatly appreciate any input.

Thanks guys.

2. OP
    OP
    NeonFlux

NeonFlux Valued Member Member

Holy crud, I just found out that one of the active ingredients Acriflavine can cause sterility in fish, and Difluben is a a very strong insecticide and can cause cancer in humans if not careful... Now I'm definitely not going to be using Parasite clear.. I would also suggest you folks to not use it as well and use other meds, unless you absolutely HAVE TO during emergencies where it's the only thing you have at hand, and you have no other choice; just BE CAREFUL not to ingest it, nor take whiffs at it to see how it smells, and definitely wash your hands after using it.

3. junebug

junebug Fishlore Legend Member

Always go by the instructions. If something can't be used with scaleless fish, it will say so on the packaging.

You're going to find similar ingredients to those in many anti-parasitics. However depending on what you're dealing with, salt or a simpler med might work just fine.