Do you fret?

Discussion in 'Polls' started by Meenu, Dec 16, 2009.

?

How do you feel when you test your water

1. I don't test my water. Why would I do that?

5 vote(s)
    8.5%
  2. I've heard of a cycle but don't know what it is.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. I'm a bundle of nerves every time!

11 vote(s)
    18.6%
  4. I'm cool as a cucumber. My tank is cycled and I have no worries.

43 vote(s)
    72.9%
  1. Meenu

MeenuFishlore VIPMember

I checked my water again today. The readings are still good (0,0,5) but I spent the entire time I was testing nervous that my cycle crashed. lol

So it got me thinking: I feel like that every time I check my water. How do others handle it? Anxiety or no anxiety?

2. btate617

btate617Well Known MemberMember

I really can't answer since I have no test kits, which I don't recommend others do.

Honestly I have been doing this seriously since about 1996, had tanks before that but I wasn't into breeding then, and I have never done a water test.

It would be interesting to test mine and see how far off I am though.

Brian

3. iloveengl

iloveenglWell Known MemberMember

My first 2 months (at least) were so filled with anxiety that I seriously didn't understand how people could enjoy this hobby.

Now that I have a bit of experience behind me and the same fishies happy and healthy since August, I don't worry. Also, my tanks are super stable with the stock/bioload level and cleaning routine, so that definitely helps chill the nerves.

Totally new fish (or like my soon to be new crab) definitely freak me out. I bet I'll be checking the crab tank every day until I figure out crabby bioloads. :)

4. harpua2002

harpua2002Fishlore VIPMember

I rarely test the FW tanks. I've been in the hobby long enough to recognize that there is a problem- once I understand each different setup and plan a maintenance routine that works for me, my fish and plants let me know if there is a problem.

5. bubblefishValued MemberMember

I read and heard too many stories about people losing their cycle or their cycle crashing that I worry it could happen to me. So, I'm nervous everytime.

6. Jaysee

JayseeFishlore LegendMember

I don't ever test my tanks, so I don't have a test kit anymore. I am very methodical when it comes to maintanance and do weekly 50% waterchanges. I have a routine that works for me (and the fish) and do not deviate from it.

I used to have in-tank ammonia alerts, but have stopped using them as well.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2009
  7. David CWell Known MemberMember

My 55gal is heavily planted so even after I went an entire month between water changes (my grandfather died and I had a lot going on) my nitrates were still only 10. I only change the water because it would be kinda gross if I didn't, not because my readings ever get outta whack.

8. Aquarist

AquaristFishlore LegendMember

Good morning. I'm like some of the posters above. I have my routine down pat knowing what I need to do and when I need to do it so I don't test my established tanks all that much. When I do test my established tanks it's only for pH and ammonia levels. Too, some of my bio media is older than some of our members LOL and I have a ton of it. With the terracotta ornaments and pots in my tank helps to ease my mind as well since it is porous and great bacteria collectors. When you don't make any changes like adding new fish to an established tank, things should pretty much stay the same from week to week as long as you do weekly water changes. I also keep a log for each tank showing what I do and when I do it.

Meenu, once you get more comfortable with your set up, you'll learn to relax a bit as well. Give it some time.
    Ken (great thread!)

9. Shawnie

ShawnieFishlore LegendMember

I was a wreck when I first started testing...I feel your anxiety...kept a log and such just like BB...almost did the happy dance for hours when all of them tested good LOL

but now im like others...i DO keep a test kit on hand(which is surely recommended) but rarely test anymore...

10. kloseoWell Known MemberMember

i change my water every week and only fret if i see something wrong with one of my fish...then i really fret over the poor baby

11. bolivianbaby

bolivianbabyFishlore LegendMember

I run weekly full parameter checks on all of my tanks and keep a log as Shawnie mentioned above. I'm not nervous when I do it, but I would be if I saw ammonia, nitrites or drastic PH changes. Then I'd be trying to figure out what caused it after I got it resolved.

12. stanmanNew MemberMember

I find myself counting fish more often than not. :;dete

13. ray_sjValued MemberMember

If your tank has been stable for a few weeks and you have a regular maintenance routine, you don't really need to worry about losing your cycle. As Ken suggested, keeping lots of bio-media in the system helps as well.

The only time I ever had a mini-cycle was when I removed all the ceramic rings in my filter to start a new tank, and then over-zealously cleaned the remaining filter media. Other than that, thorough gravel vacs, cleaning filter media, and even accidentally turning the filter off for 12 hours didn't harm the cycle.

14. Hendryx

HendryxValued MemberMember

My tank is newly cycled and I worry like crazy all the time lol..I have a couple of pricey fishies going in there..

15. scatty

scattyValued MemberMember

Like most others here I have a routine that I stick to, loads of bio-media and established cycles, so I hardly test any more either. I do keep test kits on hand though, and used to hold my breath every time i tested when the tanks were newly cycled.

16. cwb141

cwb141Valued MemberMember

Funny thing about my room and viewing my test results. My room is painted a very light bluish gray and that's enough to throw off the color in the test tubes. I thought I had .25 ammonia after testing twice. On the third time, to triple check, I thought I should check it on my closet door (white). Hooray! Anyway, I always check my tests against the closet now so they aren't thrown off by the walls.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2010
  17. haedra

haedraWell Known MemberMember

Oh, I fret alright... but I'm a weird one. I fret about the things that hardly ever really happen.

Like a new tank. When it's just been set up, takes me a good month before I stop having visions of it exploding in my sleep, or while I'm out.

18. Aquarist

AquaristFishlore LegendMember

LOL Haedra. I worried about having a Tsunami rush over my bed for about 6 weeks with my 265g.
    Ken

19. MyllissaNew MemberMember

I totally freak. I'm a newbie, so I worry that the littlest thing may have thrown my cycle back WEEKS or something. Last night, I had a dream that two days in a row I forgot to do my daily 10% water change. Due to the toxicity levels in the water, my fish mutated into hideous monsters. That's dreams for you. I don't just get nervous when I'm awake and testing, I freak when I'm asleep too!

20. AlyeskaGirlFishlore VIPMember

Wow, i've never seen this thread. No, I don't fret, my tanks are cycled.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2010

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice