Votes: 102 30.1%
  • I plead the fifth

Votes: 104 30.7%

• Total voters

Mike

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
For those of us that have to manage expenses with someone else.... are you completely truthful with the amount of money you spend on the hobby?

For most purchases I'll tell it like it is, but I have been known to round the price down a little if asked on some of the more expensive things like the protein skimmer or lights. Eeek.

Best Answer - View Platylover's answer
OP
Mike

Mike

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yeah I forgot that sometimes I mentally block out the shipping costs too! :/

Mhamilton0911

Reaction score
Nope, not truthful at all. I usually admit 50% of actual cost. It's not the dollar amount that is the issue, I could spend it on anything. It's that "it's just fish" thing, so that means everything must be cheap/inexpensive, duh. My logic is, Hobbies get expensive, if I got into any thing, it takes money to get it going. At least with fish, others can view them and enjoy it too.

Mike said:
Yeah I forgot that I sometimes mentally block out the shipping costs too! :/
C'mon we all know shipping doesn't count!!! :)

StarGirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I do for the most part. He doesn't ask very often unless I buy a light or filter.. something big. He just says ohhhh noooo fish store again? :p

Demonskid

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
What is this shipping you speak of? >w>,

I don't really share expenses with anyone, but I do take care of a physically disabled mother, and she just has to know everything I do/spend money on. I .. omit some things.

blennylover2323

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Lol, am never truely truthful...
But if anybody comments I just say that “it was the only one left and I didn’t want it to be lonely”...

Wrench

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I show no shame in what I spend on this.
I have all my receipts pinned on my wall for everything I have bought, I added it up......I shouldnt have but yeah.....its over 2,000 bucks....:)

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Closer to Heaven every day but for now-Arkansas
Experience
More than 10 years
As long as hubby doesn't ask I don't offer to put a price on anything I get for my water pets. Fortunately I pay the bills and he has never asked :D It goes both ways though. If he wants something and we can afford it I just say go for it. Last month it was a very nice metal detector. It was a bit more expensive than most of what I have spent on my tanks and fish over the past year. :)

flyinGourami

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
My parents know what I'm buying and how much it costs, but have never added it up. Trust me if they did I wouldn't be here posting this right now.

RyanC14

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I wouldn't say I lie to my mom, but I don't tell her about everything I buy.

I just hope she won't question the new 20g or any of the new fish in it

faydout

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
My wife isn't a fishkeeper anymore, but she's had a few monster fish (Oscar's and Arrowana) so she knows what's up. We don't really bug each other about our hobbies at all, and I spend way less on fish than she'd be okay with me spending. I'm the one that does the self regulating, and it isn't because money's tight. I just don't like feeling like I'm spending money frivolously, so I give myself a rough limit on what I can spend every payday.

Utar

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I have to answer to myself about how much I spend on my fish keeping hobby. I sometimes take forever before deciding to pull the trigger and order a new light, or filter. I really enjoy diy on as much of this hobby as I can, stands, etc. In doing so, I feel I am saving myself money, instead of buying a new stand. I also feel the stands that I build for myself are much better, stronger, and last longer than then buying one.

OH and I do lie to myself about how much that new filter cost me, yeah I can do without eating ribeye steaks for awhile. Instead I will eat chicken, to cover the cost of that new light.

MrsPancakes

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My husband has no problem spending money/ time on his hobby of bowling. Still, he gets exasperated by the insanity of my aquarium tinkering, although I spend less money than him. He acts like anything I do with my fish is somehow is a bunch of unnecessary work (it's not) that involves him (it doesn't). Drives me nuts.

faydout

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
MrsPancakes said:
My husband has no problem spending money/ time on his hobby of bowling. Still, he gets exasperated by the insanity of my aquarium tinkering, although I spend less money than him. He acts like anything I do with my fish is somehow is a bunch of unnecessary work (it's not) that involves him (it doesn't). Drives me nuts.
As far as my wife and I go, we're both working professional adults. She doesn't need me to parent her, and vice versa. Bills, food, and mortgage come out of a joint account, money automatically moves to savings every 2 weeks, and after that and for everything else... she's a grown adult with her own money.

Fishproblem

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
faydout said:
As far as my wife and I go, we're both working professional adults. She doesn't need me to parent her, and vice versa. Bills, food, and mortgage come out of a joint account, money automatically moves to savings every 2 weeks, and after that and for everything else... she's a grown adult with her own money.
Same! My girlfriend and I split rent and bills in fair relation to our individual incomes, I pay my own student loans and car expenses, and we've both committed to individually beefing up our savings accounts and investments for upcoming major expenses. Anything outside of that... we can do what we want with. She also knows how much I love my tanks, and really appreciates having them, so no desire to lie about price tags here!

This means I benefited from the added sense of camaraderie when we came to the mutual, mortified realization that I'd blown past the $500 mark on my recent nano tank setup. :joyful:

KribensisLover1

Well Known
Reaction score
I get great deals by using chewy, yet it’s not cheap and you usually get what you pay for in terms of price equaling quality. Imho.

MrsPancakes

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
faydout said:
Don’t get me wrong, I do what I want. My husband is a simple man who asks for very little and is not big on change. I bring the chaos to his life. I’m colorful, social, and love constant change. I like to describe our relationship as I’m the gas and he’s the break. Both play an important part and provide balance.

New Threads