Help Do you ever keep Hood off the tank ?

parvataneni

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
sorry for asking silly questions ...please as i am newbie ...

Do we need to take the tank hood off from the tank for sometime daily ? or we keep it closed all times ?

Shine

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Most hoods have openings in them for the filter, heaters etc.... so there is a space for air to circulate. I wouldn't think that you 'need' to take off the hood at any point other then for maintainence. If you leave the lid off all the time you get a lot more evaporation. Never mind the occasional ''leaps of faith" that fish make, to see whats outside their tank...

Even saying that, I have one tank I leave the hood off all the time, but that is because I'm afraid that both the hood and my cat are going to fall into the tank! lol

proudtobeafarmgirl

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I keep the hoods on my tanks (except my turtle tank) keeps the suicide jumpers in and nothing can fall into my tank, plus, helps keep them warm.

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Even when I didn't have escape artists (rainbow shark and kuhli loaches), I always kept the top on, except when I was doing something within the tank, i.e., water changes, decor move, feeding, etc.

As was stated above, keeping the top on regulates your tank.

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hi. Don't worry about asking silly questions. We'll answer anything around here!

I also keep my hood on. In addition to all the other reasons already listed, a hood on the tank, to me, seems like fewer contaminants from the surrounding environment will get in. Is there a particular reason you want to take yours off, or are you just curious?

parvataneni

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
i am just curious ... trying to learn as much as by asking questions and reading on google ... but this site is far most and better then google which answers my questions with multiple answers ....

BunnyPuncher

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
My cats all try to drink the tank water when I am doing maintenance. They much prefer the flavored water to the sterile stuff in their bowls. Of course, one cat has been scared to death by an angelfish who thought that flicking tongue looked too tasty to resist.

Alee C.

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Not only do I keep my hood on, but after one of my ACFs(we found him 4 hours later still alive) jumping out I've also had to put duct tape over EVERY single hole or crack no matter the size.

Nate McFin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
On in the winter to hold the heat in and off in the summer to let the heat out. ( I dont have jumpers)

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
hehehe We also answer questions with multiple answers.

Where would we put our mail if we didn't have hoods on the tanks? The hoods keep the junk from the shelf above it from falling in--I don't want my car keys or pens in the tank. And how am I supposed to keep things out of my daughter's reach without the hoods?

-Lisa

Danie

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I have to keep mine on otherwise the fish are bound to go flying, I went out of the room for like 2 minutes once and found that one had already decided to jump out and my mum thought I was joking when I told her they might jump if I left it off.

The top of my hood also seems to get very dusty so I don't think I'd want all that going in the water instead.

SFwriter

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I keep mine on for a number of reasons. First, here in the desert I can lose over five gallons of water a week from evaporation, and that's with the cover ON. Second and more importantly, I don't want my fish eating any insects that may have been treated by the Orkin man. Eating poison bugs will kill a fish fast.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom