Do you Ever get Bored of your Tank?

Whitelightning

Do you ever get bored of what your tank looks like once you've decorated it? I heard that it's hard to move live plants once they are planted, so your basically stuck with how you designed your tank and can't ever really change it up. (Note: I've never had live plants, only fake silk plants). So to all of you who have live plants in your tanks, do you ever get bored of your designs?

BigManAquatics

Only part of my tanks i am bored with kind of is the bettas themselves. I like looking at more fish at once, generally!

Upvote 0

Kribensis27

It's not hard at all to move plants around. Even deep-rooted plants like swords can handle moves fairly well. They just need some time to re-establish afterwards.

Whenever I get bored of my tank, which tends to happen every 6 months or so, I usually just remove or add some plants and hardscape until I like the look again. Some people even do a full rescape, but I prefer to just improve and slightly change the scape over time to keep it interesting.

Upvote 0

StarGirl

Yup and I move what I choose. Like I said before they just get stunted for a bit.

Upvote 0

A201

Just aquascape with rocks like I do.
A big group of well selected rocks look good just about anyway they are arranged and can be easily rearranged.

Upvote 0

Whitelightning

It's not hard at all to move plants around. Even deep-rooted plants like swords can handle moves fairly well. They just need some time to re-establish afterwards.

Whenever I get bored of my tank, which usually happens every 6 months or so, I usually just remove or add some plants and hardscape until I like the look again. Some people even do a full rescape, but I prefer to just improve and slightly change the scape over time to keep it interesting.
Interesting! Do you ever have to buy new plants when you do this at all?

Upvote 0

Kribensis27

Interesting! Do you ever have to buy new plants when you do this at all?
Not really. Sometimes I'll see a cool plant and decide to try it out, but I mostly just move around other plants I already have.

Upvote 0

Whitelightning

Not really. Sometimes I'll see a cool plant and decide to try it out, but I mostly just move around other plants I already have.
Huh... Didn't know you could do that!

Upvote 0

Cherryshrimp420

Yeah every tank gets boring eventually, could be after a few months or couple years. That's why all my tanks are extremely low maintenance so I can just leave them be as house decoration. I don't like messing with them because I feel like that is more for human satisfaction rather than for the livestock's benefit.

Upvote 0

Spudsssy

I usually rescape every 6 months... Clean out filter and do a bit of a clean once everything is out of tank.

I wouldn't say I'm bored of the tank.... It's just iv spent 6 months staring at the tank thinking of ways to improve it!!

Upvote 0

Awaken_Riceball_

I have the Fluval Syndrome where I owned a Fluval Spec III, then 6 months later upgraded to Fluval Spec V (5 Gallon). About 5 months later around Christmas, the Fluval Spec V (16 Gallon) released that I upgraded. I thought I was done until they released the Fluval Flex 32.5 gallon that I have now just for a Betta Fish. I've lost my mind letting my Betta Fish live better than me .

After 2 years of my 90G. I am about to do a massive re-scape overhaul that I have never done before which is substrate layering and a stock load of new plants. I love Amazon Swords, so beautiful, but time to try a scape without it for a change. You're not the only one to get bored of your tanks

Upvote 0

The29G

I like to have fast growing plants because I think they actually make the tank more interesting! My plants are constantly growing and my tank is evolving. I can easily control the direction my fish tank is going in just by trimming and planting. Some plants like java fern you can just glue to rocks and move around whenever you want.

Upvote 0

Fisch

I think my Cories are getting more bored with the aquascaping than I do, they just dug up my dwarf sag....again. I am new to the hobby and I rescape the tank more out of necessity rather than boredom. Plants constantly grow and change the tank scape to the point that they need to be pulled or thinned out, or they don't grow need to be removed. I also look at the many gorgeous tanks of the fishlore members, and like to try new plants.

Upvote 0

Fishfriendof315

I am starting to since passing of Blue. He always dug up the plants and I'd replant them. It was a constant game, but when i put em in spots he liked, they stayed. Sometimes ill trim some wysteria from my 20 gal to float in the 50.

Upvote 0

foxrain4

It is easy to move live plants if you have substrate and long aquarium tweezers.
I do change the aquascape every few months but I would not say it is that I got bored of the design, imagine like drawing an art, you do not keep drawing the same art, you will want to change to dragon art, castle art and soldier art, it is an expression, it is fun and it is rewarding to change your fish tank design every once in a while.

Upvote 0

Magua

I swear I almost completely rescape my betta's tank every other week. Just took out all the stem plants (ad added to my 29 gallon) and swapped with all rhizome plants. New driftwood etc. I'm constantly switching things around in all 3 tanks. I think the scape is my favorite part of the hobby...

Upvote 0

JLDJ

With live plants, it is constantly changing and you usually have to prune it once in a wile
BTW I think "boredom" with a tank has at least something to do with some overstocking .

Upvote 0

Rockfella

I am on a fishless cycle on my new tank and already feel I made it small!
So I am building a bigger one using silicon injection method.

Upvote 0

Mudminnow

I find I generally get bored of simple tanks. That is, tanks with just one fish species, or simple decoration and planting...like Iwagumi tanks.

Tanks with lots of species of plants and fishes are different. I feel like I could enjoy observing and tinkering with those forever.

Upvote 0

MacZ

I don't get bored. A tank like mine is in constant flux. Leaves are moved by the fish, floating plants come and go, biofilms grow and disappear...

Upvote 0

Cody

I’ll get a little bored of my aquascape occasionally and switch up plants or hard scape like rocks and woods and shuffle and switch prices.

I also get bored of certain fish where I get the itch to reboot but, I’m not a fan of doing that unless it’s for the betterment of the fish. And I learned that even when you do switch it up, it all grows old over time.

For me my tanks become more about the time I spend maintaining and tinkering. It’s the little bit of me time I have each week!

Upvote 0

ruud

I think people get bored with tanks were just about everything is visible up front. Complex scapes where plenty is not directly visible, keeps attracting over and over. You always want to know what is going on behind the corner....

A bucephalandra that start flowering and fish that start breeding keeps a tank interesting also.

And having 8 tanks helps as well.

Upvote 0

Rockfella

Got so bored I built a new one.

Upvote 0

Redshark1

I don't ever get bored of my tanks, I've been striving for success all along the road. When I arrived where I wanted to be I just kept trying to do better and each year. The fish become a year older and the tanks have been set up a year longer. This all adds to the success I feel. My Clown Loaches are 27 years old - the tank has never been torn down since it was set up in 1995. My Cardinal Tetra aquarium has been set up since 2008.

Upvote 0

Rockfella

I don't ever get bored of my tanks, I've been striving for success all along the road. When I arrived where I wanted to be I just kept trying to do better and each year. The fish become a year older and the tanks have been set up a year longer. This all adds to the success I feel. My Clown Loaches are 27 years old - the tank has never been torn down since it was set up in 1995. My Cardinal Tetra aquarium has been set up since 2008.
27!!! That is incredible!!!

Upvote 0

Thunder_o_b

Do you ever get bored of what your tank looks like once you've decorated it? I heard that it's hard to move live plants once they are planted, so your basically stuck with how you designed your tank and can't ever really change it up. (Note: I've never had live plants, only fake silk plants). So to all of you who have live plants in your tanks, do you ever get bored of your designs?
I will mix it up every so often. Especially if I find plants I really like and do not have.

Upvote 0

CHJ

Tank boredom is a way of life for me.
I like plecos. Plecos like to hide. I like happy plecos so there are plenty of places to hide. This means often a tank can look empty. I have added movement fish to the tanks so they look less empty.
Dats also like to hide. So does Mr Biteytubefish.

Then there are tanks that are empty and waiting for a cool new find at the LFS or a breeding pair/group of fish to go into them. No real excitement in an empty tank.

Then there are dwindling tanks. By this I mean tanks that I'm tired of and waiting for its residents to get old and die. If this happens with a group of fish I can just give them away. In the case of my haplo tank it is now dow to 2 male hoplos due to murder fish getting murdery. The remaining female decided to become a boy, this is something I didn't know hoplos could do until her pectorals were red and most of the way to male sized. With murder fish in the tank this was a fatal decision on her part. So we have 1 female hoplo in another tank. If she dies I'm out of the hoplo breeding game.
Murder fish looks like this. Hoplos, so cute until they decide it is mating time. Murder Fish defied all the advice I give to others. My surface was clear of everything and high flow constantly agitating the surface. The fish still decided it was mating time even though it can't build a nest. So it is now alone in a breeder.
You must be registered to see images

That main tank also contains the eternal lambchop. 1 lambchop that I thought was 10 years old as we got it right after we move into the house. My wife says we moved in over 15 years ago.. You really can't give away a fish that is around 5x the species max age. I'm also not buying more, so I have a single immortal unhappy lambchop. As I was typing this I decided to again futilely try to get a picture of it. It looked like ironically, it might have died while I was typing about its immortality.. Nope, there it is!

Then there are tanks I'd like to swap fish out of. My emps are unfortunately ~18mo old now so I can't really sell them, I'd like to move in a different tetra to breed (I missed out on some cool ones a while back). In another tank I'm getting bored with the rainbows and congo tetras as movement fish. Man are those congos getting big.
You must be registered to see images

Spot any plecos in that one? See it needs movement fish.

As for moving plants I move small ones or ones that have been dug up. I do not like moving monster swords that have huge root balls on them.
I also do not run any capped tanks. I imagine moving a plant in a capped tank is just a nightmare as when you pull it up it fills the tank with soil.

As a side note: I generally get bored with things quickly, so keep that in mind.

Upvote 0

OutsideFoodBlob

My two larger fish reject any and all attempts to change things up. And I have ended up putting things back where they like them. So since they live in the tank, I figure my opinion on things boring or not, doesn’t out weigh their contentment.
I put a small container with matrix in it in their tank recently to seed for their tank upgrade. They cowered at opposite end of tank. Came out to eat then right back to cowering. Rejects it!

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Sweetie07
Replies
Views
KrissyBunnie
Replies
Views
FishObbessed
Replies