Do You Buy Fish That Had Ick? Question

1. Ioana Dog

Ioana Dog Member Member

A local LFS ordered bleeding heart tetras for me. The first time I went to pick them up there were 2 dead in the tank and one was swimming crookedly. They ordered more and I went back a week later but this time they were active but had ick. Do I go back and get them once the ick is gone or just not get them?

2. Fashooga

Fashooga Well Known Member Member

That's a tough sell...they shouldn't sell you sick fish. I'll say this...it's quite possible that the fish I purchased that are currently in my tank may have had ich before...I'm sure most people here who have fish probably had some fish that was sick during the transportation and was nursed back to health. I think it's quite common practice.

What would be unethical would be to sell sick fish and let it be somebody else's problem...

When you do go back, just make sure you look at the fish tank and see how they swim, eat, react when raising your hands and just look. That's all you can do. Avoid "dealers choice" cause the worker will get the least active fish in the tank.

3. OP
    OP
    Ioana Dog

Ioana Dog Member Member

Ah. Ok, thanks.

4. Aqua Hands

Aqua Hands Well Known Member Member

I wouldn't unless its a well known place I.E The Co-op