Do You Buy Fish, Plants, Corals, Inverts, etc. Online?

Do You Buy Fish, Plants, Corals, Inverts, etc. Online?

• Yes

Votes: 35 66.0%
  • No

Votes: 18 34.0%

• Total voters

Mike

Fishlore
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ok, it's 2019 and wondering how much the practice of buying fish, plants, corals, inverts, etc has changed.

I know I've bought online many times and actually prefer to buy online because I can get exactly what I'm looking for.... Not to mention my addiction to buying stuff on the regular on Amazon prime. Good Lort. So convenient though.

MissNoodle

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Both?

Im cautious with online because you dont visibly see what you are getting often before you receive it. But at the same time, the fish i did order online have been some of my hardiest and healthiest upon purchase.

In stores, i have had hit or miss. Many fish have been ragged or became ill, etc. Yet two of my fish i have had for the longest time have survived the apocalypse. Cycling, ich, newbie mistakes, etc.

But im wondering if maybe its because ive shopped more frequently at local stores than i have online that ive encountered more bad.

My preference i think is a reputable online source, despite the inconveniences.

jinjerJOSH22

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Both but I prefer going into lfs. I love looking at everything and inevitably buying something I didn't plan for. There's always the oddballs that they occasionally get in as well.
I have no issues buying online though the delivery charge is off putting, it's £16.99 as standard and even though fish are usually a lot cheaper you need to buy quite a few to really see that.
I'm going to my "new" lfs at the beginning of next month and i'm so excited lol.

JJfishes

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have to agree with MissNoodle. I prefer ordering fish online due to there not being many reputable places where I am that sell fish, only chain stores such as Petco and Petsmart, I do like Pet Supplies Plus though, has that Mom and Pop feel but are actually corporate, I haven't been there in months though because last time I was there, all of their Neon Tetras were covered with Ick.

Online there are a few reputable breeders that I personally like and have been my healthiest, in June I ordered some Bettas from Petco to try and start a sorority, long story short, I got males and females and were left with having to seperately house them.... I was going to order some guaranteed females from a breeder that specialized in Betta Sororities, but I thought 'Let's try ordering from Petco', wish I never did that :(.

I will glady pay $30 (combined with shipping) for some Neon Tetras that are from an online place I trust rather than from any of my LFS.

Vishaquatics

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I haven't bought fish in over a year. Mine just simply breed and keep populating.

Now plants on the other hand... I can't seem to stop collecting species. I only order online since the selection locally is so limited (and not great quality).

CMB

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I had the worst luck with the health of the fish at my lfs, so I have ordered almost all my fish online. Only had one problem order, the rest have all arrived perfectly healthy.

NC122606

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Almost all but 3 of my fish are from online, I do plan of ordering saltwater fish online if I cannot find them cheaper!

DIYfishkeeper

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
If you have a trustworthy lfs that you frequently and have healthy fish I highly recommend buying through them. If you have specific or rare requests most can order them for you and then the shipping and risk is there problem. Remember most lfs were started by hobbiest like use and made there dream into a job. Support good fish stores when you find them!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom