Do you begin a planted tank with fish? Question

1. Master Yoda Member Member

I don't know if this goes in this topic or not but anywho: I have one question about cycling the tank. I thought I just read somewhere that if you're going to have a planted tank and to cycle it, it's ok to have the fish in there when beginning the tank. Instead of doing a fishless cycle. So you would add the plants and fish at the same time? Or do I cycle the tank, then add plants then add fish?

2. Beth1965 Well Known Member Member

You can cycle the tank with plants and add fish after the cycle is comlete.

3. Steve420 Member Member

It should be okay to add plants while cycling your tank. Plants use up some of the nasties that come along with cycling (ammonia, nitrates, etc..)

Not so sure about adding fish at the same time. Personally, I would be leary but that is just me. I planted my first tank well after it had been established. My others I planted while I was setting them up, but also did an "insta-cycle" using established filter media, etc.. from my other tanks

4. Master Yoda Member Member

ok, thanks. I was kind of leaning towards what you guys said but this confirms it. I will add plants while cycling and add fish after cycle is complete.