Do you also enjoy vacuuming the gravel?

  • Thread starter

armadillo

Fishlore VIP
Messages
6,560
Reaction score
39
Points
358
Hi all

I actually enjoy vacuuming the gravel. I find it really gratifying when all the stuff comes up after a good shake. It's like painting a wall: instant gratification! I tend to be so transfixed that the bucket frequently overflows...

So, the poll question is: do you also enjoy vacuuming the gravel?

P.S. Could someone tell me how to post this as a poll?
 

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Messages
25,173
Reaction score
26
Points
508
Experience
Just started
We have marbles for our substrata and I do like to get the bottom clean for our fish, but as our tanks increase, it's not quite so much fun as just feeling good for taking care of the fish.

I think you need to reach a status (like sr. member) but can't remember which. Check the FishLore rules & info that Mike's posted for a definite answer.
 

Bonochick

Well Known Member
Messages
863
Reaction score
6
Points
188
I guess I don't like doing it only because I get so nervous about sucking up a fish, and I also hate disturbing them. Besides those reasons though, I really don't mind it.
 

capekate

Fishlore VIP
Messages
6,727
Reaction score
41
Points
368
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi there!
I like to vacumn when I know that Im getting up all the junk that collects on the bottom of the tank. BUT... I still do not have the hang of using the syphon vacumn. It says to use a lifting up and down motion to get the syphon moving..but all it does is create sea waves ugghh.. Eventually the water collects in the tube and I get a good flow going. I bought a mini syphon for my 10 gallon, that is totally useless. No matter how hard I try, I cannot get the water up the tube and I dont want to stress out Phoenix. What i did to rectify that problem was during a water change I would take the net and swish it around, createing enough disturbance where the junk starts to lift off the bottom and float around, then I just 'net' it as it floats by. That seems to work better. But I know that as much as I love to vacumn my rugs in the house and feel good when thats done, I also feel good after the tanks are cleanned up as well! ;D
 

PrayforMojo

Valued Member
Messages
149
Reaction score
1
Points
178
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have overflown the buckets at least ten percent of the time. (maybe 20) It just captivates you. I feel like the almighty cleaner that provides stability and comfort to my loyal followers in my atlantis like community. LOL. ;D Whoops!!! water all over again. **** gotta clean that up.
mojo
 

griffin

Well Known Member
Messages
773
Reaction score
3
Points
178
capekate said:
Hi there!
I like to vacumn when I know that Im getting up all the junk that collects on the bottom of the tank. BUT... I still do not have the hang of using the syphon vacumn. It says to use a lifting up and down motion to get the syphon moving..but all it does is create sea waves ugghh.. Eventually the water collects in the tube and I get a good flow going. I bought a mini syphon for my 10 gallon, that is totally useless. No matter how hard I try, I cannot get the water up the tube and I dont want to stress out Phoenix. What i did to rectify that problem was during a water change I would take the net and swish it around, createing enough disturbance where the junk starts to lift off the bottom and float around, then I just 'net' it as it floats by. That seems to work better. But I know that as much as I love to vacumn my rugs in the house and feel good when thats done, I also feel good after the tanks are cleanned up as well! ;D
that "up and down" motion only works for certain types of syphons. if you're having trouble getting the suction started (without making waves lol) you could prime the syphons and then you wouldn't need to do the up and down
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter

armadillo

Fishlore VIP
Messages
6,560
Reaction score
39
Points
358
Bonochick said:
I guess I don't like doing it only because I get so nervous about sucking up a fish, and I also hate disturbing them.   Besides those reasons though, I really don't mind it.
 

capekate

Fishlore VIP
Messages
6,727
Reaction score
41
Points
368
Experience
More than 10 years
griffin said:
capekate said:
Hi there!
I like to vacumn when I know that Im getting up all the junk that collects on the bottom of the tank. BUT... I still do not have the hang of using the syphon vacumn. It says to use a lifting  up and down motion to get the syphon moving..but all it does is create  sea waves ugghh.. Eventually the water collects in the tube and I get a good flow going. I bought a mini syphon for my 10 gallon, that is totally useless. No matter how hard I try, I cannot get the water up the tube and I dont want to stress out Phoenix. What i did to rectify that problem was during a water change I would take the net and swish it around, createing enough disturbance where the junk starts to lift off the bottom and float around, then I just 'net' it as it floats by. That seems to work better. But I know that as much as I love to vacumn my rugs in the house and feel good when thats done, I also feel good after the tanks are cleanned up as well!  ;D
that "up and down" motion only works for certain types of syphons. if you're having trouble getting the suction started (without making waves lol) you could prime the syphons and then you wouldn't need to do the up and down
hmmm... and how do I prime the syphon? Id love to get this down right without causing tidal waves in the tank lol...
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter

armadillo

Fishlore VIP
Messages
6,560
Reaction score
39
Points
358
Bonochick said:
I guess I don't like doing it only because I get so nervous about sucking up a fish, and I also hate disturbing them.   Besides those reasons though, I really don't mind it.
It's funny, my fish don't seem to mind at all (except for the pleco, who just go and hide. They simply HATE it when I have to clean their 'house', though - a cave-like ornament I've got in there). The mollies, on the other hadn, can't get enough distraction. They just swim around the hose nosily, and bite at my hand. Great little fish.
 

griffin

Well Known Member
Messages
773
Reaction score
3
Points
178
capekate said:
hmmm... and how do I prime the syphon? Id love to get this down right without causing tidal waves in the tank lol...
it's pretty easy. you just fill up the syphon with water, hold the ends, and put one end under water. let go of the end, and then put the other end in the bucket and let go.

oh - and by hold on, i mean make sure the end is blocked. and let go means unblock the end, not just let it go and splash water everywhere
 

Bonochick

Well Known Member
Messages
863
Reaction score
6
Points
188
My boyfriend is better with the vacuum than I am, so he usually does it while I supervise. That means he gets stuck listening to me say things like, "Be careful! Don't suck up Elliott! Look out, Elliott is right there! Careful, make sure one of them doesn't jump out! WHERE'S ALEX??? Did he jump out?! Oh, there he is. CAREFUL!!!"

I'm worse than a backseat driver.
 

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Messages
25,173
Reaction score
26
Points
508
Experience
Just started
Bonochick said:
My boyfriend is better with the vacuum than I am, so he usually does it while I supervise. That means he gets stuck listening to me say things like, "Be careful! Don't suck up Elliott! Look out, Elliott is right there! Careful, make sure one of them doesn't jump out! WHERE'S ALEX??? Did he jump out?! Oh, there he is. CAREFUL!!!"

I'm worse than a backseat driver.
LOL.. a backseat gravel vacuumer.. what will they think of next?
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter

armadillo

Fishlore VIP
Messages
6,560
Reaction score
39
Points
358
That's what you need us women for: a healthy dose of supervision and control!We may not always know how it works, but we always know how you should not do it! Same for parking repairs, DIY, gravel cleaning...
 

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Messages
25,173
Reaction score
26
Points
508
Experience
Just started
armadillo said:
That's what you need us women for: a healthy dose of supervision and control!We may not always know how it works, but we always know how you should not do it! Same for parking repairs, DIY, gravel cleaning...
LOL. yea, it's all part of the fun.
 

capekate

Fishlore VIP
Messages
6,727
Reaction score
41
Points
368
Experience
More than 10 years
griffin said:
capekate said:
hmmm... and how do I prime the syphon? Id love to get this down right without causing tidal waves in the tank lol...
it's pretty easy. you just fill up the syphon with water, hold the ends, and put one end under water. let go of the end, and then put the other end in the bucket and let go.

oh - and by hold on, i mean make sure the end is blocked. and let go means unblock the end, not just let it go and splash water everywhere
hi Griffin~
Ok.. thanks.. I have filled the syphon with water while trying to vacumn, should I also be filling the long tube with the water as well? And maybe cutting down unnecessary length of tubing may help? thanks for your help, i will try it! ;D
 

griffin

Well Known Member
Messages
773
Reaction score
3
Points
178
yeah, fill the entire thing - it's not really necessary that the whole thing be filled, but it makes it easier to begin with. cutting off extra tubing will help, but then if you change your set up, you might need a longer tubing. but then, tubing isn't that expensive to buy. so it's kinda up to you

let me know how it goes
 

capekate

Fishlore VIP
Messages
6,727
Reaction score
41
Points
368
Experience
More than 10 years
griffin said:
yeah, fill the entire thing - it's not really necessary that the whole thing be filled, but it makes it easier to begin with. cutting off extra tubing will help, but then if you change your set up, you might need a longer tubing. but then, tubing isn't that expensive to buy. so it's kinda up to you

let me know how it goes
thanks griffin.. I will let you know how it goes~ ;D
 
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!





Top Bottom