Do you agree fish seem to grow overnight?

KribensisLover1
My fish don't grow daily. I don't see them get larger slowly. It's seemingly overnight that I look again and they're HUGE. Now clearly I know it's not happening overnight but does anybody agree that you look every day and then one day you see them much larger? This large lab is a year and a few months old and is supposed to join these littles in a month or so? Eek! They're so little they're all eyes. And he wasn't so large a month ago and then BOOM. And here's also the large lab three months ago and four months ago. So much smaller!
1D78239F-AECB-4779-8977-420F35C753F6.jpeg
63DE1F0F-AD97-433A-95D7-6FB84DD251FC.jpeg
9674CA96-67AF-4B1D-961D-80C68BD94027.jpeg
2DB744E6-283E-45E6-942B-DB561D4EB62B.jpeg
ECF0E353-ED69-40D2-9941-9253903369B0.jpeg
BB5A4A46-B731-488B-86D2-08CE03C36D53.jpeg
837DD95A-392F-4233-A931-70C2CFC7A895.jpeg
3D8B3D9D-3D0F-4AD5-A5C0-E118415F705E.jpeg

Kribensis27
Absolutely. My kribs (RIP) looked tiny for the longest time after I brought them home, before I just suddenly realized they were 3.5 inches and spawning!

KribensisLover1
Absolutely. My kribs (RIP) looked tiny for the longest time after I brought them home, before I just suddenly realized they were 3.5 inches and spawning!
I think maybe it's Bc they get wider? Whereas puppies and kittens grow like we do (long and wide?). I feel like yes my fish grow longer but the real growth I see is the WIDTH. Some of my fish are the same length yet the big guys are wide.
Edit
How cute and great are kribs? I raised some from birth I adore them. The only qualm I have is they hide too much!

Kribensis27
I think maybe it's Bc they get wider? Whereas puppies and kittens grow like we do (long and wide?). I feel like yes my fish grow longer but the real growth I see is the WIDTH. Some of my fish are the same length yet the big guys are wide.
Edit
How cute and great are kribs? I raised some from birth I adore them. The only qualm I have is they hide too much!
That was the main thing that surprised me too. Kribs are great! They’re my favorite dwarf cichlid. Maybe even my favorite fish in general! I’m ok with a bit of hiding, it makes it more exciting when they come out. My only issue is lifespan. I wish they lived a bit longer.

Fae
I wish I had your problem, I have some honey Gouramis I've been raising from fry and they've been 100% pure baby FOREVER! They're so tiny and it's been months lol.

KribensisLover1
I wish I had your problem, I have some honey Gouramis I've been raising from fry and they've been 100% pure baby FOREVER! They're so tiny and it's been months lol.
So interesting! I'm so happy for this forum Bc I learn so much! And Kribensis27 how long do they live?

jkkgron2
YES!! I was looking at my shell dweller fry today and they seemed so much bigger than they were yesterday!

KribensisLover1
YES!! I was looking at my shell dweller fry today and they seemed so much bigger than they were yesterday!
I'm so relieved it's not only me because I tell my husband WHOA this fish is HUGE today and he doesn't seem to believe me (Bc He doesn't look daily and study them like I do!). It's funny Bc I got these labs and was like oh great I'll wait until they grow a bit and I can put the other large one in there and I look the next day and am like OMGOODNESS HES A MONSTER FISH! Yes I told this in original post but it's so crazy how it happened like boom!

Kribensis27
So interesting! I'm so happy for this forum Bc I learn so much! And Kribensis27 how long do they live?
Usually around 5 years, sometimes longer IME. I just get so attached to them that it’s hard to only have them for 5 years. It’s not a super short lifespan, but it’s also not super long.

KribensisLover1
Usually around 5 years, sometimes longer IME. I just get so attached to them that it’s hard to only have them for 5 years. It’s not a super short lifespan, but it’s also not super long.
Yes that's true. I've only been keeping fish for a year and a half so I can't even imagine 5 years!

Aprilbeingbasic
yes 1 of my corys is nearly double the size of the others seemingly overnight! they were all bought at the same time at the same size haha he is a chonk

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
KribensisLover1
Replies
Views
Paul McCarthy
Replies
Views
Trickytam01
Replies