Do Yellow Cichlid get along with Leporinus?

AwNuts

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
would two electric yellow cichlids and a blue kenyi cichlid get along with two large leporinus? and maybe some rosy barbs and a golden gourami?

i currently have two yellow cichlids and the blue kenyi cichlid in a tank with two full size kissing gouramis and they are fine.

but i would like to mix them with the leporinus if they do get along.

navyscuba

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
When you talk about a Yellow Cichlid Are you referring to a Yellow Lab? African Cichlids are meant to be kept away from any new world cichlid with exception of those that grow bigger and have the same aggressive behavior. Tetras and Gouramis won't last one day with african cichlids. Also the Leporinus needs a low Ph in comparison with the Africans that most need a PH of 7.8 to 8.4. Most of the fish you mentioned need different wtaer needs.

AwNuts

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Thanks and yes i meant the yellow lab cichlid/yellow electric chichlid which are the same.

Well i used to have a two yellow labs and one kenyi together in a planted tank when they were babies. the blue kenyi minds his own business and does not get bothered by any of the yellow labs and the labs won't bother him at all either so he is happy. But one of the yellow labs started to pick on the other lab for a good while. It kept picking on that lab until all of his fins were pretty much gone. At that point i had another tank with two large kissing gouramis, their ph is pretty high since they are really messy fishes. So i thought this environment is going to be perfect for him to get well and grow all of his fins back. I had a great ornament for him to use as a hiding spot.

Sure enough, everything went as planned and the little yellow lab grew all of his fins back after a couple months and he also grew in size and weight. He looks super healthy and gets along very well with the two kissing gouramis.

Now that i got a new tank setup 75gal, i was wondering if my two large leporinus would get along with the cichlids and i would rehome them to the 75 gal leaving the 55 gal free for new setup.

But thanks for letting me know that its not a good idea to mix them two aggressive critters lol.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom