Do we need to feed the Rabbit Snail?

JulieElizabeth

Long story short... we switched tanks, moved all of the substrate and fake plants, used all new water... Sadly, all of our fish died and that's a whole different story. My question is, the rabbit snail is doing great and moving around the tank like it did in the previous tank we had. We haven't added fish back in yet. Do we need to be feeding the snail anything? We have tropical fish flakes. My daughter is asking to get more fish again and we might try testing the water and getting one fish this weekend. I just want to keep our snail alive since we had to go through all of our fish dying.

Salem

Generally yes you will be needing to feed your snail. There arent any snail specific foods you can find at pet stores though. You can offer foods such as kale and lettuce. Algae wafers and sinking fish foods are a good snack once in a while. If you want to you can even make snello (snail jello). There are lots of recipes online but its mostly just fish food, calcium, and gelatin. I personally keep both aquatic and terrestrial snails and use a recipe used by snail farmers.

Upvote 0

JulieElizabeth

Generally yes you will be needing to feed your snail. There arent any snail specific foods you can find at pet stores though. You can offer foods such as kale and lettuce. Algae wafers and sinking fish foods are a good snack once in a while. If you want to you can even make snello (snail jello). There are lots of recipes online but its mostly just fish food, calcium, and gelatin. I personally keep both aquatic and terrestrial snails and use a recipe used by snail farmers.
Thanks so much for the feedback! Do we literally just put a bite of lettuce in there for the snail? I guess it seems like the lettuce would float. We've never fed the snail before and owned it for several months. Once we get fish again, are we supposed to be feeding it?

Upvote 0

Salem

Thanks so much for the feedback! Do we literally just put a bite of lettuce in there for the snail? I guess it seems like the lettuce would float. We've never fed the snail before and owned it for several months. Once we get fish again, are we supposed to be feeding it?
If you put the lettuce near the glass your snail should be able to reach it but you could also weigh it down with something like a rock.
Many people can get away with just not feeding their snails. This is especially easy with ones like nerites and sifters like trumpet and rabbit snails. In general though its best to try and feed them even if theyre in a busy tank just to keep their health in check.

Upvote 0

JulieElizabeth

If you put the lettuce near the glass your snail should be able to reach it but you could also weigh it down with something like a rock.
Many people can get away with just not feeding their snails. This is especially easy with ones like nerites and sifters like trumpet and rabbit snails. In general though its best to try and feed them even if theyre in a busy tank just to keep their health in check.
Okay! I am going to get some algae wafers and I will have my daughter start feeding it lettuce. We had no idea we were supposed to be feeding it. Thanks for the information.

Upvote 0

Debbie1986

I do squash, zucchini, brocoli and peas for real food. They tend to sink on their own after 20-30 minutes. I do not cook them, but freeze it and defrost in tap water.

algae tabs and catfish bits are also in tank

I have a lot of plants in those tanks, so the snails tend to graze around the tank. lol

Upvote 0

JulieElizabeth

I do squash, zucchini, brocoli and peas for real food. They tend to sink on their own after 20-30 minutes. I do not cook them, but freeze it and defrost in tap water.

algae tabs and catfish bits are also in tank

I have a lot of plants in those tanks, so the snails tend to graze around the tank. lol
I have some frozen broccoli. So if we defrost broccoli in water, how much do I put in the tank? Poor snail has never been fed anything. He's been happy for months with us but now I'm feeling bad. Can I put broccoli in there for him even when we have fish?

Upvote 0

Debbie1986

I have some frozen broccoli. So if we defrost broccoli in water, how much do I put in the tank? Poor snail has never been fed anything. He's been happy for months with us but now I'm feeling bad. Can I put broccoli in there for him even when we have fish?
If it's just 1 snail, do 1 small stem/branch or cut off a small piece

I just remove it if there's anything left after 12 hours so the water isn't impacted by rotting food.

If it's just 1 snail, sliced veggies - just add the size of penny and remove leftovers. I put a rock over the side of it to keep it weighted for lone snails. They love veggies!

Green beans are awesome. mine really love Italian ( long flat ones) and gobble them up!

Just slightly open pod so water gets in and there's no buoyancy/floating

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
  • JulieElizabeth
  • Snails
Replies
Views
JulieElizabeth
  • Question
Replies
Views