Do think Malaysian trumpet snails are pests? - Page 2

Are Malaysian Trumpet Snails just pests?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Butterfly

I understand that, but Planarians are suppose to eat snails so I thought that people who considered MTS as a pest might want to read that because I've never come across any threads about them. I'm sorry this seems to be issue.

I thought it would be helpful I assure you I won't make that mistake again. I also don't appreciate being called out by a mod on an open forum. I know the difference between the two. Sorry I thought it may help. Next time if you want to be sacastic with me you should do it privately you are held at a higher standard.

I understand you were trying to be helpful. In my 25 yrs of fish keeping I have never heard that Planarian eat snails, I still didn't see that in the links provided.

It was not my intention to be sarcastic I'm sorry you perceived my post that way. If my post had been just for you I would have pm'd you but it was for the open forum.
We will have to agree to disagree as I still don't see what the two (planarian and snails)have to do with each other.

Now let's get past the personal stuff and get back to the original question.
Carol

thepianoguy

they are NOT pests in my way.

they eats up the dirt and uneaten fish food and NEVER touch the live plants...so beneficial man...

gocrow77

They are great at mixing up substrate, and general cleaning - however they multiply quickly. In my tanks int he past I quickly learned that I was only actually "seeing" a small percentage of them. Most were in the substrate or otherwise hidden. They never caused a problem for me though.

thepianoguy

yes...they are the best cleaner crew i've ever had...

Lunas

I have mixed feelings about them I originally got them to stir sand in my tank since I had a planted tank and the hardscape and plants made sifting all of it difficult. But now years later I can't see my sand anymore there is about 2 inches of snails covering it. Now I find myself planning on taking piles and piles of them out to put them in another tank...

jobeaux

No tank is complete without MTS. They eat some detritus, till your substrate, indicate overfeeding by population explosion, and climb the walls to indicate bad water parameters. Put some in your tank today!

Sent from my XT1058 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

Aqua Hero

Climb the walls to indicate bad water parameters. Never knew that.

Alex Cider

They were great for my plants, got air or oxygen to the roots. No planted tank should be without them.

oOBlueOo

I think mts can be pests, like any snail, if the population is allowed to get out of control, but if you have assassins in your tanks, they seem to stay pretty much under control.

Alex Cider

Mine seem to keep themselves under control, maybe a fish was helping himself to a midnight snack.

jobeaux

Climb the walls to indicate bad water parameters. Never knew that.

Have heard this from other fishkeepers, experience has borne it out, but I've never studied it scientifically to be sure.

Aqua Hero

Have heard this from other fishkeepers, experience has borne it out, but I've never studied it scientifically to be sure.

It's too bad their aren't any forums dedicated to snails or I would have asked. I might talk to some people in the shrimp forum if they know anything.

But it's interesting considering I used to have tons of snails on my glass. But then again they were everywhere as well.

CindiL

No tank is complete without MTS. They eat some detritus, till your substrate, indicate overfeeding by population explosion, and climb the walls to indicate bad water parameters. Put some in your tank today!

I think they also climb the tank walls to eat the algae and bio-film on the glass

jobeaux

I think they also climb the tank walls to eat the algae and bio-film on the glass

Good point CindiL, I should have said climbing the walls during the daylight. Of course it could just be the a fishkeeping old wives tale!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Iverg1
  • Question
  • Marlene327
  • Snails
Replies
Views
UnknownUser
  • Question
Replies