Do think Malaysian trumpet snails are pests?

Are Malaysian Trumpet Snails just pests?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

cheesepuff

I have come into possession of many MTS, and I would like to hear what the community has to say about them.

I hear some people say they are beneficial, and some say they are pests.

What are the pros and cons of each?

Lets assume they are in a sand substrate environment.

morasea

I've never had MTS but I'm going to go off assumption of other snails here.

I would, IMO, think that they can easily be massive pests.

Sure, if you have a little brown algae then yeah, you pick 1 up. But that 1 snail could have tons of baby's. This means those babies have to eat. And what easier food to eat then algae.

Now it may seem amazing sure, all the algae gone. But if you have other algae eaters they now all of a sudden have to compete with the snails. This means the algae eater will die, or you have to go purchase algae wafers which let me tell you are not cheap for the nice ones.

The only pro I can see on this is you can get more fish to eat the snails!!! (Aka loaches) and who doesn't like a good loach!!

smee82

Most snails don't tend to eat a lot od algae in my experience but do eat left over food so are usually a great sign your over feeding. MTS are one of the few snails I would willing introduce to my tank other then sphinx and nerites and are great for planted tanks or tanks with sand.

CindiL

I started with two of these little guys and now I have ?? hard to say, 25 or 30 but they are so tiny at first. I have a couple of big ones now 3/4 inch. I actually like these little guys because they stir through the top layer (maybe deeper) of your sand bed and basically clean it of any food deitrus. I also think they're pretty as they get bigger.

I must not be over feeding because mine are up on top of the sand a lot during the day and I see them hanging on plants that have hair algae so I know they at least like that one

If they ever become overpopulated I will buy a couple of bumble bee snails (aka assassin snails) who eat them. I'd have to remove my nerites and put them in another tank because they'd kill them too.

Plecomaker

Theyre a pain. They don't just eat algae. They need ver little food to breed.
Plecos compete well with them ime.

alot of people blame over feeding on them, but they can be in yourtank feeding for many different reasons, algae, drift wood, oak leaves, soil substate, etc.

Tiny goatfish

I like MTS, Don't consider them a pest at all, A pest (IMO) is something that harms something in you tank (That you don't want them to harm), Sense they don't harm anything but algae and leftover food, I think they are useful to have in a aquarium. They look pretty cool to .

Aquaphobia

I actually like my MTS. I had a population explosion once in one tank when I first started out but now that everything is stable I've not had a problem. TBH I think my bettas and ghost shrimp have been a big help because I seldom see babies, just a few quite large adults. I have witnessed a ghost shrimp peeling a freshwater limpet off the glass and munching it so I think that predation of eggs and babies is a big part of the balance.

Dolfan

They are highly beneficial for planted tanks and also regular tanks with sand. They help to aerate the substrate much like earthworms in terrestrial gardens. In planted tanks they help to breakdown leftover food, fish waste, down at the root level where it can be absorbed by the plants roots.

As for overbreeding, it shouldn't be a problem unless you are overfeeding. If you do get some more than you want you can easily give them away locally or ship them to friends or others in the aquatic community. Many snail eating fish would love to snack on your extras.

Plecomaker

There actually aren't many fsh that eat mts, not even puffers are very good at it.
reread what I said dolfan about overfeeding, that will not slow them down.

BDpups

They are not that beneficial to a planted or sand tank. They don't do anything you can't do yourself.

if you like them, then great. But other than for aesthetic reasons, they are not a necessary or beneficial in any tank.

cheesepuff

so far is seams the community is rather divided on the subject. Very interesting food for thought!

As a curiosity, I put one in my tank and it buried itself completely under the sand.

EricV

I keep them in all of my tanks. They do a good job of cleaning up any missed food and I've never had any issues with an overabundance of snails in the years I've had them. Their effect on algae is pretty minimal in my experience but they do a good job at general cleaning and are invaluable for that purpose in fry tanks.

Aqua Hero

I love my MTS. they helped clear up the fungus that grows on new driftwood, at night time an army of them come out and eat any remaining food in the tank. they help aerate my sand and fertilize my soil as they break down organic material.#

MTS have become an important species in my aquarium.

Genobreaker

I like them. The only problem is my assassin snail (introduced to exterminate ramshorn snails) population exploded and I never see any my mts anymore. (I know I still have 1 big one somewhere)

Plecomaker

I love my MTS. they helped clear up the fungus that grows on new driftwood, at night time an army of them come out and eat any remaining food in the tank. they help aerate my sand and fertilize my soil as they break down organic material.#

MTS have become an important species in my aquarium.
That fungusis beneficial formyfish! I don't want to share it with snails!

my firemouth and swordtails love it!
shrimp and plecs do too of course!

cheesepuff

What do you guys think about the Malaysian trumpet snails big cousin, the black devil snail?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

EricV

Never even heard of it

Aquaphobia

Just looked it up. Very cool!

cheesepuff

Never even heard of it

"faunus ater" to be specific. Or if your SUPER lucky, even a "faunus magma"!

I want both so badly.

bermese2002

Nice, and it doesn't breed in freshwater?

Sent from my D5503 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

cheesepuff

they do not. The larva can only survive in brackish water, so no babies will come from them if they are kept only in fresh.

Genobreaker

They look cool, but says they nibble on live plants such as Java fern which would be a no no for me.

morasea

"faunus ater" to be specific. Or if your SUPER lucky, even a "faunus magma"!

I want both so badly.

They both look very unique.

EricV

Plant eating snails are definitely a no-go for me.

morasea

Plant eating snails are definitely a no-go for me.

Same here. Plants for me algae for him

EricV

Plus they're all wild caught which I generally try to avoid when possible.

Butterfly

I loved having MTS in my tanks especially the sand tanks. The Shellie tank sand was a little deeper than normal and the MTS kept it loose and clean.

If you get too many it's really easy to mash them against the tank wall to break their shell. The other fish will clean them right up.

carol

Dolfan

I loved having MTS in my tanks especially the sand tanks. The Shellie tank sand was a little deeper than normal and the MTS kept it loose and clean.

If you get too many it's really easy to mash them against the tank wall to break their shell. The other fish will clean them right up.

carol

Not sure if we have different species of if may be that I have hard water so therefore bolstering their shells, but my MTS have very hard shells that can't be smushed so easily. I can do this easily with pond / bladder snails, but the MTS seem much more durable.

While they are not needed by any means, many people with planted tanks recommend them. I certainly like them. Never been a problem for me as I am stingy with the food.

Alex Cider

In my experience I had trumpet snails in a planted 55 gal tank. They never got out of control, thanks to some loaches, but they are great for the plants. They move through the substrate which is very good for the plants roots. Something about aerate the roots.

Aquaphobia

Not sure if we have different species of if may be that I have hard water so therefore bolstering their shells, but my MTS have very hard shells that can't be smushed so easily. I can do this easily with pond / bladder snails, but the MTS seem much more durable.

While they are not needed by any means, many people with planted tanks recommend them. I certainly like them. Never been a problem for me as I am stingy with the food.

I've found much the same with mine, though they are relatively easy to smush if you find them tiny enough.

Salye1mj

I have hundreds in one of my tanks. No idea his they got in but I enjoy them. Even if they don't do a great job of cleaning and aerating anything to help out is appreciated. I think I suck up lots of them during water changes because sometimes I see hundreds and other times I only see a few.

Plus its fun to watch them dig around in the sand

daunicorn

excellent for deep sand beds. they can only burrow in the first inch or so substrate though, because below that there isn't enough oxygen. also they are nocturnal, so if one night you turn on the light you will see how many you really have, you might be surprised. if you have too many, just feed less. very simple. mine are strong enough to burrow in both gravel and sand, very very cool.

Greenplant

I like the MTS and you really don't see that many during the day although I see a few but they're on the plants leaves with the Horned Nerites and my plants have never looked better. they get down into your substrate and clean. They have a bad rep because they can get out of control. But with every Pro there's a Con. I stopped using ferts except Root tabs and twice a week fourish. If they over populate there's ways of getting them under controt without asking for more trouble with assassins snails. I understand some people have had problems with them but so far they're fine by me. The best is they make my job easlier betweem them and the horned Nerites no cleaning the side glass or the back wall which is painted black and you could always see the brown algae know you see nothing.

cheesepuff

after a long time with them for myself I can officially cast my vote.

Pest.

Rabbit snails and Black Devil Spikes are far better at the tasks MTS do. So much so that all the MTS have died in my tank because they were out competed for food and resources by the aforementioned snails.

2 rabbit and 2 Black Devil Spike outdid 60 MTS.

emrg

I know I have had a few pumps stop suddenly because their shells are as hard as gravel

Greenplant

post #33 was your answer. I thought people who considered them pests would fine it interesting.

Butterfly

post #33 was your answer. I thought people who considered them pests would fine it interesting.
Malaysian Trumpet Snails and Planarians are two different critters. There is no comparison.

Greenplant

Malaysian Trumpet Snails and Planarians are two different critters. There is no comparison.

I understand that, but Planarians are suppose to eat snails so I thought that people who considered MTS as a pest might want to read that because I've never come across any threads about them. I'm sorry this seems to be issue.

I thought it would be helpful I assure you I won't make that mistake again. I also don't appreciate being called out by a mod on an open forum. I know the difference between the two. Sorry I thought it may help. Next time if you want to be sacastic with me you should do it privately you are held at a higher standard.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Iverg1
  • Question
  • Marlene327
  • Snails
Replies
Views
UnknownUser
  • Question
Replies