Do they have Ich? Help

1. samantha.h Member Member

I'm noticing little white spots showing up on some of my glowlight tetras. It kinda looks like salt but it's not "grain-sized", I mean they're not huge spots but they're obviously there.

If this is Ich what would you suggest as treatment? What meds will work? What can I do?

2. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Can you post a pic?
    If it's ich, it can be treated without meds. With inverts in the tank you'd have to be very careful which meds you choose.
    Slowly increase the temp to 84F, add an air stone to increase aeration because warmer water has less oxygen.
    Leave it there for at least 2 weeks. Do thorough a couple extra water changes and gravel vacs to pick up any ich spores in the gravel.

Good luck!

3. samantha.h Member Member

I can't get a close enough picture, unfortunately. I wish I could because I know it'd really help. Some of them are speckled all over their bodies and a couple have stuff accumulated at their gills. I'll turn my airstone up and increase the temperature for now. I won't be able to do a vac tonight because it'd pretty late, but I'll do one tomorrow morning for sure. Thank you Lucy!

4. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Your welcome. Don't worry about not being able to vacuum tonight.
    If I understand correctly, the high temps won't effect the spores.
    Once they hatch and look for a host (your fish) the higher temp will kill the parasite.

If it's real bad in the gills, and your fish look like their breathing is labored, you might have to consider meds.
    Good luck, I hope they feel better soon.