Do Super Red Long Fin Plecos Only Give Birth To Super Red Long Fins?

Ryanater

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Or will some be normal fin or albino or normal color?

bizaliz3

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'll tell you what I do know.....

for the long fin....you could end up with 75% long fin or 100% long fin depending on if either of them are homozygous long fins or not (two long fin genes) Since long fin is dominant, it only takes one gene to be long fin. If both of yours have just one long fin gene, it will be 25% standard fins in the mix. If one, or both, of yours have two long fin genes, it will be 100% long fin babies.

As for albino...if both of them carry a rescessive albino gene, there is potential for albino babies.

As for the super red part of it....I would not expect any common browns if both parents are super reds....But I don't have personal experience with super reds. My experience is with lemons.

Ryanater

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thank you for all that information! So if both my parents have the long fin Gene and the super red Gene, we'll get 100% identical babies? If one is a long fin and one is a normal fin, 75% will be long fin?

I'll tell you what I do know.....

for the long fin....you could end up with 75% long fin or 100% long fin depending on if either of them are homozygous long fins or not (two long fin genes) Since long fin is dominant, it only takes one gene to be long fin. If both of yours have just one long fin gene, it will be 25% standard fins in the mix. If one, or both, of yours have two long fin genes, it will be 100% long fin babies.

As for albino...if both of them carry a rescessive albino gene, there is potential for albino babies.

As for the super red part of it....I would not expect any common browns if both parents are super reds....But I don't have personal experience with super reds. My experience is with lemons.

Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 24 25.5%
  • No

Votes: 8 8.5%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 62 66.0%

Top Bottom