Do spotted silver dollars shoal with normal silver dollars?

mikerox29

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hi All,

I just want to know if spotted silver dollars would shoal/group with normal silver dollars. My friend has 4 normal silver dollars and wants to know if adding 2 spotted ones will complete the shoal

Thanks

hampalong

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yes, most of the dollars will shoal together. I have 5 spp including spotties and they're one big group...

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

Chances are the spots are going to fade as the fish matures. I have 8 Silver Dollars and they all had spots as juveniles but as adults, the spots are gone. I have 5 that are 15 years old and 3 that are around 6 years old.

Thread moved to Characins/Silver Dollar section of the forum.

Ken

slayer5590

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
True spotted silver dollars will keep their spots whereas commons will lose their spots over time.

hampalong

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Commons don't have spots. The spotted dollars are a complex of what will end up as more than the two current species. Some keep the spots, some fade... but they can show them when they want to... ime.

mikerox29

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hmmm I will let him know that they will shoal together. Is there any other type of silver dollars?

hampalong

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hmmm I will let him know that they will shoal together. Is there any other type of silver dollars?
There are half a dozen or so common species that are loosely called silver dollars, mainly the Metynnis spp, Myloplus (Red Hooks), and a few Myleus spp. There are many more in the group, but not often available.

New undescribed species(?) are coming out of all the South American rivers as they're getting opened up to fish collecting...

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom