do snails swim?

1. musserump09 Well Known Member Member

my snail has been floating and swimming lol then grabs on to something and moves about his way

is this normal?

2. MikeRad89 Well Known Member Member

No.

I've never seen a snail leave the bottom/side of the tank.

Either you've got yourself a magic snail or he's being pushed around by a current.

3. Katiec90 Member Member

They will float from time to time, but I think they swim...float glide climb fall..ride on another's shell...but never swim lol

4. musserump09 Well Known Member Member

he did it once with the bubbles I let it go for a min but when he would go back I got worried. I think the water q. is bad is prob why he does it. he goes up and down the tank all the time

5. tokiodreamy Well Known Member Member

Depending on the size, they'll sometimes have air in their shell which makes them boyant/float (spelling). Take a video... I'm curious

6. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

What kind of a snail is it? Mystery Snails are known to "parasnail" from time to time:)

7. beau Well Known Member Member

This happens all the time with my Ramshorns. Sometimes they'll be floating right in the middle of the tank and sometimes they'll be floating at the top. I think it is air that gets caught in the shell and then depending how much it changes their buoyancy.

8. Katiec90 Member Member

He was floating then Let out bubbles, he may have has air trapped in his shell.

9. musserump09 Well Known Member Member

ill do my best to catch a video when I can. I believe he is a Mystery. BIG too! its kinda cool he was out of his shell just floating around.

10. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Um, out of his shell?

11. Katiec90 Member Member

You just mean part of his body, right?

12. Bithimala Well Known Member Member

I assume you mean out of his shell as in trying to grab onto something? If so, yes, it's actually rather normal. They can get air trapped in their shells, or if you have a bubble wall, ride up the bubbles, and then realize that they aren't in reach of anything.

Even the pest snails don't exactly swim. They basically climb the water tension, but it looks really cool when they do :)

13. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

LOL ok, whew!

The link doesn't work for me but I know what you meant now;)

14. musserump09 Well Known Member Member

my mobile app wont let me log in so sorry I tried

15. xxbyamomentx Member Member

Looks like your facebook page may be set to private, but if your snails are really big they might even be apple snails. My mystery snail doesn't seem to do that, but my apple snails 'float' from time to time and chomp at my live plants. You can flip them upside down gently and see if any bubbles come out, but generally they'll push the air out themselves if they really want down or stick to a tank wall and climb down from there.

16. musserump09 Well Known Member Member

he was dancing around more then the 5 secs. I had left before my phone died.

ill try to upload if this one does not work

17. Bithimala Well Known Member Member

Looks like a mystery snail who rode up the bubble wall and then couldn't figure out the next step from there to me :)

18. musserump09 Well Known Member Member

[video]https://youtu.be/tbSSeM9k3rY[/video]

19. MikeRad89 Well Known Member Member

Well I guess I was wrong. I have 4 nerites and 2 mysteries and I've never seen anything like that. I don't use bubblers though, I'm sure that's how they're getting air in their shells.

20. Bithimala Well Known Member Member

Mine actually seemed to make a game out of it when they were younger. They would climb on the bubble wall, ride up, float across the tank, drop down, climb back on the bubble wall, etc.