Do Snails Eat Fish?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Fish Newbie, Apr 14, 2017.

1. F

Fish Newbie New Member Member

So about a month ago I had one of my neon green danios disappear, I thought maybe something happened, searched all plants and decorations, could not find him, this morning my replacement green one, just went in the tank about a week ago, is just a head and bones, he was one of my active swimmers, always getting into trouble and just a general boy, was healthy and eating yesterday, and my snail brownie (black mystery snail is just massive, he has grown so much, I will link pictures, could he have taken him down during the night?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. m

mcnasty1 New Member Member

As far as I can tell snails will eat anything that doesn't move away from it. Dead fish being a good meal. It's why I keep snails in my clean up crew in my piranha tank. They're straight on shredded cod pieces.

3. peppy210

peppy210 Valued Member Member

I've heard of snails eating dead fish, but I never heard of them eating live ones. This is really interesting if that's what happened.

4. _IceFyre_

_IceFyre_ Well Known Member Member

Yes, snails will eat dead fish but they can't hurt your living ones. I'd reccomend testing your water to make sure he didn't die from a water quality issue.
    Sorry for your loss:(

5. Sarcasm Included

Sarcasm Included Well Known Member Member

A snail doesn't have the ability to attack a moving fish, but if it is sick and won't move....yes they will eat it alive. To the snail, if it doesn't move it is dead. If it is alive and won't move it is time to euthanize the fish. I had a molly get real sick and was hiding under a rock. When I pulled him out a mystery snail was munching away on him.

6. OP
    OP
    F

The pictures I attached are about 6 days apart, the fish he ate(is gone) was in the picture of him on the zucchini. Water tested and worse than yesterday, .25 ammonia and .25 nitrite, 10 nitrate. I did pull the remainder of the skeleton out, doing a partial today. My luck this week is not good

7. NavigatorBlack

NavigatorBlack Fishlore VIP Member

The fish will have died and been eaten. A mystery snail will clear out a body pretty fast.

8. OP
    OP
    F

I did not realize how fast he could eat a fish... All that was remaining was bones and a little flesh. 6 hours was all it took

9. Gekco

Gekco Well Known Member Member

As others have said snails will eat dead fish. A live fish will be too fast for the snail, especially a Danio.

10. OP
    OP
    F

Now I have to wonder what happened to my little man.

11. Gekco

Gekco Well Known Member Member

I would do a 25% water change since you have ammonia. That might of had something to do with it.

12. OP
    OP
    F

I did, anything higher than 0 I do a change. I want my babies happy and healthy!

13. OP
    OP
    F

I still think he is eating them, I am now down to 4 glofish, but my neon tetras are doing great.... What the heck!! Water parameters are 0 0 10 and I lose one after I do not put a zucchini within 48 hours of the last one being gone, water changes no weekly and a good vacuum every week, no live plants, underground filter, and Brownie is massive, like pushing golf ball size while the one I got before him has only grown about a quarter inch. Brownie has put on almost a full circle! Like almost 2 inches. Could he be an apple snail?

14. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Apple snails do get larger, so he could be.

However, he is not able to eat healthy fish. If he's eating your fish, something is severely debilitating or killing them first.

15. p

purslanegarden Well Known Member Member

Fish also eat other fish, including their own. Getting food in a watery environment seems to be an opportunistic thing, and they have to eat when they can.

16. AllieSten

AllieSten Fishlore VIP Member

My guess is that without having a true school of fish (6+) then the other fish are attacking and weakening the fish, and the snail is getting rid of the evidence.

I had a similar issue with fin nipping and a fish dying because of it. Once I upped my numbers of fish, the bullying stopped.

Also how big is your tank? Glofish get stressed and get aggressive. I had my latest set in a 10g for 3 months, and they really need a 20g to be healthy. It was immediately obvious that they were meant to be in a larger tank when I added them to my 29 gallon. Their behavior changes were dramatic.

17. OP
    OP
    F

When they sleep they like to hide and one place is a castle with no back exit, I have them all in a 20 gallon long and the fish do not go in the castle anymore but do go in the other hiding places which are too small for him to fit in, and has many exit holes, so the 4 are still ok, I have no nipping, I look them over every morning before their breakfast, and watch them throughout the day, Brownie now comes to the top for his shrimp feeding, cause he knows what days I do special treats, way too smart for a snail...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice