Do shrimps need filters

Discussion in 'Freshwater Invertebrates' started by limpet102511, Dec 18, 2012.

1. limpet102511

limpet102511 Valued Member Member

So I'm giving my friends son 10 blue velvet shrimps. His plan is to go with his mom to craft fairs and sell them in a container. I've read that you could but I hear anything from 1 gallon to 5 gallon tanks. Any information would be very welcome

2. Tonia

Tonia Well Known Member Member

I would think for keeping them full time, definitely at least a sponge filter to help aerate the tank.. is there any way he could at least use a bubble stone? How long will they be in the container? I know I've gotten shrimp sent to me in a bag before and it took a couple days to get to me.. all were still very much alive and kicking, so I think they would be ok for a short time in the container, just try not to let them get too cold or too hot and if possible give prospective new keepers some information on the care and needs of your babies.

3. OP
    OP
    limpet102511

So would they be ok with an air stone or sponge filter long term with say a 1/2 gallon to gallon of water in the container with some java moss or moss ball and would only be about 2 or 3 shrimp

4. AmazonPassion

AmazonPassion Moderator Moderator Member

Shrimps will be fine in a 1 gallon tank as long as it is cycled.

5. OP
    OP
    limpet102511

what size sponge filter would i need for a 2.5 gallon tank or are they all just big for that size

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice