Do shrimp still apply to the 1 inch per gallon rule?

BettaGirl92
I was wondering if shrimp still apply to the 1' per gal rule?

I wanted to put some in my 10gal.

Lucy
What else is in there? You have to be careful they don't become lunch.
Otherwise, you could have several in your 10g. That 'rule' doesn't apply to them.
Be sure to provide plenty of hiding places for them.
If you feed them some blood worms, they're pretty funny to watch.

sirdarksol
Like Lucy said, they don't really add to the bioload.
And I'd like to know how you've managed to cram 1' of fish per gallon of water... I can only get about 1" of fish per gallon of water and have them be happy. ;D

Lucy
And I'd like to know how you've managed to cram 1' of fish per gallon of water... I can only get about 1" of fish per gallon of water and have them be happy. ;D

Missed that! lol

Betta_dude
What else is in there? You have to be careful they don't become lunch.
Otherwise, you could have several in your 10g. That 'rule' doesn't apply to them.
Be sure to provide plenty of hiding places for them.
If you feed them some blood worms, they're pretty funny to watch.

That's true, aslong as you don't put in fish that might eat them theyll be ok. Just keep an on your nitrates/nitrites (dont remember which) and don't use any meds with copper in it and you'll be fine. I had mine in with my betta, and they were fine.But they did die from the nitrates/nitrites.

Lucy
Both really. When I lost mine I had 0 nitrites but my nitrates were about 20.

BettaGirl92
so how many do you think I could put in my ten gallon without having too many?

ShaynaB
I have 6 in one of my 10 gallons, but I have lots of hiding places and plants for them. I think 4-6 would be a good number!

BettaGirl92
is there any type of gravel, rock you need for them?

ShaynaB
I have regular small aquarium type gravel in that tank... They seem to do alright with it.

BettaGirl92
I have bigger stones in my tank... would that be okay?

angelfish220
Yeah, they'll probably crawl around picking up food left in the gravel.

BettaGirl92
okay, cool.
I think I'll be going out this weekend to get some shrimppp.
i'm excited now, lol

fbn
1. do they eat algae.
2. What temperatures do they like?
3. Can they be in a tropical community tank? Thanks!

Lucy
1. Not very much. They may pick at it, they'll eat whatever the fish are eating.
2. Pretty wide range
3. Yes, but some fish might find them tasty and they might eat small fry.

They're pretty fun to watch and don't really count towards the bio-load of the tank.
Here's their profile: Ghost Shrimp

Lucy
You have a betta with these fish? How long have they been together?
IMO, the betta shouldn't be in there. Ram's and bettas can both be very territorial fish.
Bettas love shrimp, but given enough hiding places, you might get lucky.

fbn
The betta has been in there for months. The Ram doesn't act territorial. The betta does to it though, but not to the other fish.

Alessa
The Betta might find them tasty. If you can relocate the Betta to a 5 of its own, it would be much happier and and also, you would be able to add a big colony of ghosts! They are really cute to look at.

redlessi
I have ghost shrimp in with danios, guppies, cories and they are cool. I love to watch them, they like to hang out on the tops of the plastic plants.

enthusiast
if you supply enough plants the shrimp would be able to live in the tank even with the betta. Enough hiding places and they'd be perfectly fine, atleast the majority of them, and they'll even possibly breed if you have a good enough group of 'em!

freak78
When I bought mt rummynose tetra's a few week's ago they accidently had a ghost shrimp in ther as well. I can't find that thing anywhere, what are the odd's of it being ate by one of my other fish?

Jaysee
With enough time, ghost shrimp always end up as food...one way or another.

redlessi
If you have enough hiding spaces, it may just be hiding...............

Although the likelihood of it being eaten is great................

David C
Ghost shrimp are great. They do an awesome job of keeping your substrate clean and the fish get a great snack whenever they're hungry enough. As an additional plus, they're really cheap. I keep a few ghosties in all my tanks and I add more every so often.

Dave

fishingman001
it also could have been sucked up the filter if it was small enough.

freak78
The good thing is I wasn't charged for it since they had a tuff time trying to get the tetras without getting a few of the shrimp in the bag as well.

Riverview32
Does adding more ghost shrimp impact the bio load I'm at 2 right now in a stocked 20 gallon tank, just curious because there so small they don't really take up a lot of space.

Dolfan
No, they don't add much bioload. They are helpful in that they help breakdown leftover food, detritus, and even fish poop, so your filter can process. The main thing with them, is they are territorial and can get scrappy with one another. For a 20 gallon tank, you could easily house 5-10. Much more then that you may see some tiny clawed fist fights.

Riverview32
Awesome thanks I just love watching them and can't wait to get more

Anders247
No, they don't.

King Neptune
I've got 7 in my 20 long and they are a great little clean up crew.

Riverview32
Can you mix the type of shrimp?

MJDuti
what shrimp were you curious about mixing? and more importantly, mixing with what?

Riverview32
I can't for the life of me think of the name, but i'm trying to look for it now, at my lfs they had a reddish fw small shrimp. I'm just wondering if I could mix a few to coexist or all all types of shrimp territorial with all other types of shrimp

Dolfan
Red Cherry Shrimp. They will do ok with ghost shrimp. Some say that ghost shrimp will attack cherries, but I think that is pretty rare, and mainly due to the cherry shrimp being sick or dying already, and the ghost shrimp comes along to take advantage of the situation. Cherry shrimp are not territorial like ghost shrimp, and they are much calmer and peaceful. If I were you, I would keep the 2 ghost shrimp, and not get any more of those. Then buy 10 cherry shrimp and see how they do. They are easy to keep and will breed easily.

Here is a link to my article on getting started with freshwater shrimp....

https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfishforum/resources/freshwater-shrimp-keeping.23/

It should answer a lot of your basic questions.

Also, EricV sells some nice colored Red Cherry shrimp here on the forum, but you need 50 posts to be able to participate in buying/selling on the forum, so get to being active and you will be there in no time. I think he is currently out, but should have more pretty soon.

Riverview32
Thanks I will get to posting, I'm sure I will have more inquiries. Will check out the link thanks again

Aquarium Newb
Hey everyone I am wanting to make an invertebrate tank. I already have one tank with just fish and so I decided my next tank would be invertebrate. So I have never had an invertebrate tank before, I actually just got into fish keeping about 6-7 months ago. So first off what size tank do I need? I just want to keep a small amount, nothing huge, and how should I decorate it? Live plants or not? If so is there any special care for live plants? And what kind of shrimp should I use, I was thinking ghost shrimp because they are so cheap.

Plecomaker
Ghost shrimp are a great place to start. Unlike most fish, height of a tank is just as usable as length, so your tank options are more flexible.
if you had a 29 gallon, yes bigger then you need, you could keep something with them.

plants are great with shrimp, the ammount of work varies by plant. Even simple mosses make shrimp happy. You don't need something fancy for them, but if you want something ferny go for it, but it does require more work.

Bithimala
Ghost shrimp are an inexpensive way to get into keeping shrimp, but ime, they are not as active as some of the others. RCS are also a pretty good shrimp for starting, but they are more expensive than ghosts.

If you go for ghosts, a few things you may want to keep an eye on. Make sure that they have the standard markings for ghost shrimp, little red/orange bands and dots on their tails. It's very common for something other than ghost shrimp to be sold as ghosts since they are frequently caught and sold as feeders. The most common is whisker shrimp, which are not friendly in most tanks. I also ran into someone at the store the other day who had accidentally purchased baby prawns when he thought he was getting ghosts.

Live plants! Personally I'd go for something that can be planted in the substrate and maybe given some root tabs since it can be very hard to not add too much liquid fertilizer, which can be bad for shrimp. What plants and their care, however, would depend on what size tank you pick and what type of work you want to put into them. I would recommend avoiding anything that needs CO2.

Tank size, I'd say get what you like. You can get away with something very small, but it's easier to keep parameters stable in larger tanks. My invert tanks are both 10g, and I'm happy with that size, but you could definitely go much smaller if you wanted to.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
wgdkpwbandara
Replies
Views
pattersonbear
Replies
Views
gregoranddexter1816
  • Question
Replies