Do shrimp need moss balls?

AggressiveAquatics

Hey guys
At stores I always see moss balls in the shrimp tanks and they are all over them. So my question is are the needed to keep shrimp healthy? Could I not have them as long as my tank is planted because I don’t really like the look of some ball just sitting at the bottom of my tank. And more specifically I’m talking about ghost shrimp
Thanks

jkkgron2

They don’t need them, but the moss balls do provide food for the shrimp because of all the microorganisms living inside or on the moss balls.

AggressiveAquatics

jkkgron2 said:
They don’t need them, but the moss balls do provide food for the shrimp because of all the microorganisms living inside or on the moss balls.
So I would be ok without one. I have Christmas moss coming in soon does that have the same affect or can I just feed them veggies and stuff

jkkgron2

AggressiveAquatics said:
So I would be ok without one. I have Christmas moss coming in soon does that have the same affect or can I just feed them veggies and stuff
The Christmas moss should have the same effect

mattgirl

I have neither moss balls nor any other kind of moss in my shrimp bowl but I do have guppy grass. I've not found any kind of moss that will thrive in my tanks. I have cherry shrimp if that makes any kind of difference.

JettsPapa

I don't like the looks of the balls either. I have pearl weed, guppy grass, or Java moss in my shrimp tanks, and they're all doing fine.

AggressiveAquatics

JettsPapa said:
I don't like the looks of the balls either. I have pearl weed, guppy grass, or Java moss in my shrimp tanks, and they're all doing fine.
Ok thanks. I’ve been looking to get some pearl weed but I can’t find it anywhere. If I remember correctly you just glue it to a rock right

JettsPapa

AggressiveAquatics said:
Ok thanks. I’ve been looking to get some pearl weed but I can’t find it anywhere. If I remember correctly you just glue it to a rock right
I guess you could glue it to a rock, but I let mine float. You can also plant it in the substrate and it will grow roots and stay there just like a typical stem plant.

I usually have some for sale at Assorted Plants (corkscrew val added 2020-11-16) Want To Sell - | Buy, Sell, Trade, Free Forum | 472435, but between online sales and taking 20-something large portions to a local LFS last week I'm running short. If you'd like some please send me a PM, or reply there, and I'll save some for you and let you know when it's available. (If you just reply here I'll never find it back when the time comes.)

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom