Do Raphael Catfish Eat Other Fish?

Genavelle

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
We have a 55 gallon tank that came with a couple of striped Raphael catfish that we've had for a while now. Recently, we added 7 snow white danios....but I noticed today that I can only count 5. Nothing else in the tank seems big enough to eat the danios (I mean maybe slowly, but I think we would've noticed a dead fish floating around?)

So I guess I'm just wondering could the catfish be eating the danios? Both catfish are pretty big, but I didn't think they would actively go after any fish in the tank, and danios are pretty fast. Maybe they ate them at night when the danios were sleeping?

Do you guys think this is something I should be worried about with the rest of the danios, and should I stop buying them in the future?

Samuel97

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
For sure the catfish world of have had a tasty meal. Catfish especially are known for eating pretty much anything they can fit in their mouth. Reminds me of how many people have bought a red tail and wondered where their fish have dossapeared to!

2211Nighthawk

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Samuel97 said:
For sure the catfish world of have had a tasty meal. Catfish especially are known for eating pretty much anything they can fit in their mouth. Reminds me of how many people have bought a red tail and wondered where their fish have dossapeared to!
Good grief and those guys get big!

Yeah, if it fits in it's mouth it will eat it. at least it has a "small" mouth compared to some catfish. My bumblebee ate my danios. (SIP Kitty)

James17

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
2211Nighthawk said:
Good grief and those guys get big!

Yeah, if it fits in it's mouth it will eat it. at least it has a "small" mouth compared to some catfish. My bumblebee ate my danios. (SIP Kitty)

Genavelle

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Does anyone know if all my danios will eventually get eaten, or if it was just kinda the couple of weakest/slowest ones?

And if the Danios can't work with the catfish, then any suggestions on a similar fish that I could get without being eaten? I really liked these danios- the color of the snow white ones is so pretty and they really made the tank seem more lively.

James17

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Giant danios would probably be too big to eat. For a long while anyway.

Your catfish should max out at 7 inches or so.

2211Nighthawk

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The theory I've heard is that if the catfish is well fed he's less likely to hit after fish. In theory.

James17 said:
Giant danios would probably be too big to eat. For a long while anyway.

Your catfish should max out at 7 inches or so.
And to freak ya'll out, there's a guy an hour away from me that's trying to sell 2 12"!!!! Striped Raphael's. Not saying that's normal!! But enough for me to give my 3" one a second look.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom