Do Quiet Air Pumps Exist? - Page 2

Neptune334

Can anybody recommend an air pump for me? I need something very small as I am using it to power a sponge filter in a 3.5 gallon tank. I can use a gang valve to regulate the flow, but I really don't need anything strong. It has to be quiet and preferably not cost more than $8-$10. Thanks!

Enferno8

You're going to have a hard time finding something cheaper/quieter than . You can read everything I've said about them in this thread.

Blake Shook

I know it sounds nuts but I have been through a few TopFin (petsmart) air pumps and they've been pretty quiet, far better than the tetra whisper I had. I strap them to the top and let them dangle with the feet against the glass, and then lightly electric tape it to the side. That way there's no opportunity for movement and all vibration is channeled into the rubber feet. Hope you find one! Nothing's worse than trying to sleep with a loud aquarium.

Lion401

One thing I did was hang my air pump under my tank with some thin rope. I can barely hear it now

KimberlyG

I got one from PetCo, marketed under their name, (I don't know who makes it for them), It was only about $13. When I opened it up it came with airhose and a check valve. I can not hear the pump running unless it vibrates it's way to another object. I move it and noise gone. If I fastened it with tape or velcro, I would never hear it.

kam.exe

Good to know! All of mine are pretty loud, and we use sponges underneath them to stop them from vibrating so much :/

FISH KEEPE21

I use the Whisper pumps and they're pretty quiet.
I know this is a little of topic put is the 20 to 60 gallon air pump that you git at wallmart to strong for a 1o gallon tank

BuddyD

I got a aqueon 40 2 days ago and today it got loud. I chatted online with foster and smith rep, and he is sending me a replacement at no charge.

AllieSten

I know this is a little of topic put is the 20 to 60 gallon air pump that you git at wallmart to strong for a 1o gallon tank

I use the Walmart brand airpump too. The Aqua Culture. It is the quietest pump I have found. Even over the Tetra. I use the 10 gallon one. Haven't tried the bigger one, since I know the 10 gallon works, I just stuck with that one.

Mctom1

I bought an All Pond Solutions Nano air pump from amazon. It was between that and a tetra one to replace the ones I bought earlier in the week that made too much noise. I assumed they all made some noise but this is virtually silent even attached to the back of the tank.

easywolf31

Just want to give an update. I've bought 7 Pawfly Adjustable Aquarium Air Pump 4-LPM 2 Outlets with Oxygen Accessories for 20-100 Gallon 4.6 out of 5 stars 19Reviews

And all 7 are quiter than that miserable Tetra Whisper 40 I first bought. It's quite possible all 7 together are quiter than it! And they come with valves, air stones, etc..

Sassonic

There's a video measuring decibel levels of aquarium air pumps on youtube. The Eheim brand is the quietest. I have an Eheim, a JW, and a hydrofarm, they are all very quiet, of course the more tubes on the particular model you use the louder it will be, and the more you turn the power-dial the louder they get, I turn them up about 60% and with the tank stand doors shut, the noise level is fairly low. I also have my air-pumps turn off at 8pm (they're on timers) when I usually start to watch TV, because otherwise during quiet moments of a show/movie I can hear the pumps in the next room where my tanks are.

Nocturna

I'm about to give up on air pumps..just bought a jw fusion 400 air pump which was suppose to be quiet but it's just another annoying loud pump. Are the Tetra whisper 40's quiet? Or another brand is quieter like million air perhaps?

Very first air pump I've had and just put it in the tank three days ago. Absolutely no noise except the sound of the aquarium itself and of the bubbles hitting the surface lightly.

Sassonic

Very first air pump I've had and just put it in the tank three days ago. Absolutely no noise except the sound of the aquarium itself and of the bubbles hitting the surface lightly.
It's designed for a 10G tank, it had BETTER be quiet... There's not much water to move.

Nocturna

Mine's in a 16g. And this is just an example of the brand (Pawfly). They have bigger air pumps. I'm assuming if the quality of mine is this good then their others would be good too.

easywolf31

Mine's in a 16g. And this is just an example of the brand (Pawfly). They have bigger air pumps. I'm assuming if the quality of mine is this good then their others would be good too.
Nocturna honey, that's all I've been preaching about...pawfly air pumps..

popsikle

FWIW I have 5 tetra whispers, 10,20,20,60,100 and I can not hear any of them over the water trickle unless I am between the pump and the filter. The pumps are all behind my tanks on a ledge that is drywall. I picked up a fluval and some other brands as they were on sale over the years that were supposed to be at least as quiet as the whispers and was disappointed.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
DoraCory
Replies
Views
Dennis57
Replies
Views
jmaldo
Replies
Views