Do Quiet Air Pumps Exist?

easywolf31

I'm about to give up on air pumps..just bought a jw fusion 400 air pump which was suppose to be quiet but it's just another annoying loud pump. Are the Tetra whisper 40's quiet? Or another brand is quieter like million air perhaps?

TexasDomer

I use the Whisper pumps and they're pretty quiet.

Biev

I find them louder than most competing models. I have run my Whisper pump next to ActiveAqua and Danner AP-4 pumps and the Whisper was loudest. The Danner pumps leak oil, though, so there's that.

jakefoster

my eheim 100 is super quiet! not sure if the higher volume models make more noise tho

smee82

I find all pumps to be loud and annoying but if you can lesson the vibrations they are quieter

Bettanewb

I think the bigger the model the louder they are. I use a marina pump for running my air stone that I picked up from walmart it's basically silent.

Gekco

The older the pump is the louder it probably will get.

I've got tetra whisper pumps they are quiet.

clk89

I have only used whisper air pumps and I have found them to be really quiet. When I got my first whisper air pump I thought it was loud, but then I moved it around on the counter top and it's quiet in a certain area of the surface. In another part of the same counter top it vibrates very loudly. My counter tops are cheap apartment ones, so that may also be the issue.

bgclarke

I have Aqueon QuietFlow 10 and 20 models, as well as whisper 10 and 40 models.

I found the whisper 40 to be noisy, BUT that was partially due to where I had to place it (corner, so sound reverberated off two walls, a cabinet, and the tank).
I switched it out for the Aqueon 20, but had to place the 20 on a doubled over face cloth to dampen the vibrations.

Of the four pumps I have, the whisper 10 is the only one that doesn't annoy me.

AvalancheDave

I find them louder than most competing models. I have run my Whisper pump next to ActiveAqua and Danner AP-4 pumps and the Whisper was loudest. The Danner pumps leak oil, though, so there's that.

My Fusion air pumps colored my fancy silicone tubing dark black on the ends closest to the pump. I think it's bits of the diaphragm rather than oil though.

I hear the Eheims are quiet.

One option is a powerhead with a venturI valve. They're quieter than air pumps and add flow too.

aquatickeeper

I'd say the tetra whispers, they're pretty quiet, in my opinion

easywolf31

I'd say the tetra whispers, they're pretty quiet, in my opinion

Guys I'm sending back the Fusion 400 loud pump back to Amazon and am ordering a Apump maxi. This one is the only little pump that won't go over 10db. All the other regular pumps are at least 18-50db...

Biev

Let us know how you like it! I'm thinking of getting the Cobalt Aquatics Phantom, which is apparently the same as the Collar aPump. Just waiting for it to go on sale...

bgclarke

Let us know how you like it! I'm thinking of getting the Cobalt Aquatics Phantom, which is apparently the same as the Collar aPump. Just waiting for it to go on sale...
I was interested in that one as well.

I see it's no longer listed on the Cobalt Aquatics web site.

Aquaboy

You could build like a little soundproof box for it and put it in there.

Biev

bigalspets.ca still sells it : )

aaron0g

Best air pump for noise imo is eheim I have the 400 in a cupboard and can bearly hear it

KyleeAndComet

My LFS has covers for air pumps that make them a lot quieter.

max h

I don't use them anymore due to the noise.

bgclarke

My LFS has covers for air pumps that make them a lot quieter.
Really? Do you know who makes them?

bigalspets.ca still sells it : )
I was able to look at one at their Ottawa East location.

I wasn't sure if it could power my setup (2 airstones in one tank, and a bubble disk in another)

easywolf31

Best air pump for noise imo is eheim I have the 400 in a cupboard and can bearly hear it
For 3 times the price lol

Enferno8

are basically the same as the APump brand but a little cheaper. I've run them on four tanks and the bubbles they make are almost louder than the pump itself. I have the round white ones. The square white ones are larger so I assume they'd be louder.

easywolf31

I was able to look at one at their Ottawa East location.

I wasn't sure if it could power my setup (2 airstones in one tank, and a bubble disk in another)
I doubt it. These are probably for people like me..who have an aquarium in a living room or maybe a bed room, want no humming noise and just want to power one thing...in my case I'm just using it in my 140 gallon to run some oxygen through a wavemaker..
For 3 times the price lol

adsm08

I have two air pups, one is an Aqueon, the other a Whisper. Both are very quite, but there is a big catch to it. It anything is touching them, even just a little bit, they become very loud. Make sure nothing is touching the pump.

KyleeAndComet

No I do not, I can't find them on their website, but I saw them at PetValu last night.

bgclarke

I doubt it. These are probably for people like me..who have an aquarium in a living room or maybe a bed room, want no humming noise and just want to power one thing...in my case I'm just using it in my 140 gallon to run some oxygen through a wavemaker..
Mine are only in 10 and 16 gallon tanks with gang valves to split the air.

easywolf31

Just ordered an COLLAR aPUMP MaxI Air Pump for 33$ cdn on Amazon.ca will let you guys know how it works out, I know it has a Db reading of about 9db which is half of probably any air pump out there...if I'm not mistaken...but again I just need a bit of air to come out for my purpose and only about 3-5 inches from the surface, if I needed air 20-25 inches under the surface I'd probably get an air pump, and suffer...check out the youtube video comparisons, they're all there..

Enferno8

I'm really not sure where you're getting the 9dB rating. Their website catalog states <=35dB for the sigle outlet and <=40dB for the MAXI. For reference, breathing is ~10dB.

Regardless, this type of pump is extremely quiet.

easywolf31

I'm really not sure where you're getting the 9dB rating. Their website catalog states <=35dB for the sigle outlet and <=40dB for the MAXI. For reference, breathing is ~10dB.

Regardless, this type of pump is extremely quiet.
As I mentioned, not sure why you can't see it, everything can be found on YouTube...let me know if you need more help or if you don't know what YouTube is or where to find it.

Enferno8

Yeah I'd love to see the video where/how they tested it at those levels. That is almost impossibly quiet for a typical home. I looked for videos of testing it's noise levels but couldn't find any that were anywhere close to 9dB.

easywolf31

Hello, here:

Enferno8

For the sake of argument, I'll assume that those phone dB meters are accurate, which they aren't, especially at low levels. Neither of these videos quote the pumps at a 9dB level. The second video says ~15dB.

I just want to clarify for everybody reading, these pumps are louder than 9dB. Anybody who knows how quiet 9dB really is knows that that's not going to happen with just about anything outside of an anechoic chamber.

Understand that if you took a calibrated sound level meter and placed it in your house at 2 am on a Tuesday, it would read louder than 9dB. Most commercial meters aren't even calibrated to read levels that low.

A realistic expectation for anybody buying these types of pumps is that if you are in the same room as the pump, you won't hear it unless you are quite close to it (assuming it is applied to the tank with a suction cup, not sitting on a hard surface). You might be able to hear it if you live in a rural area where it is particularly quiet.

easywolf31

So sue me, by the way, I thought you said they were 35-40db. At least I wasn't that off.

Biev

This review of the Phantom pump rates it at 8 dB and shows it operating an air stone at a reasonable depth.

Enferno8

I'll leave it at this.

The only point to my posts is to correctly inform people of the noise level to expect from these types of air pumps.

Even if the pump actually operates at the low end of the stated range, we'll be generous and say 30 dB, that is about 100x louder than the 8-9 dB you're stating (decibels use a logarithmic scale). The phone noise level meter showing 0 dB is incorrect. Typical noise levels for a quiet room is around 30-40 dB, but can be higher or lower depending on things like rural/urban setting and what the room is furnished with. This is a fact which is commonly accepted and backed by countless sound level studies from libraries, universities, ASHA, and many other reputable sources.

Bottom line:

You will be able to hear the hum of this pump running if your room is relatively quiet, you're within a few feet of the pump, and your hearing is not in any way impaired.

easywolf31

If an air pump like the whisper 100 is 19-20db...

How the heck is this little pump going to be 30db. It's probably 8-10db...

Dori.anne

are basically the same as the APump brand but a little cheaper. I've run them on four tanks and the bubbles they make are almost louder than the pump itself. I have the round white ones. The square white ones are larger so I assume they'd be louder.
Hey Enferno8, I am wondering what pumps you have that are similar to the Apump but cheaper? Your link didn't work for me.
Thanks

Just ordered an COLLAR aPUMP MaxI Air Pump for 33$ cdn on Amazon.ca will let you guys know how it works out, I know it has a Db reading of about 9db which is half of probably any air pump out there...if I'm not mistaken...but again I just need a bit of air to come out for my purpose and only about 3-5 inches from the surface, if I needed air 20-25 inches under the surface I'd probably get an air pump, and suffer...check out the youtube video comparisons, they're all there..
Easywolf31, did you get the Apump? How is it working out for you? I'm considering one. I'm looking for a small, quiet pump for the tank in our library.

easywolf31

HI there. I completely forgot to come back here and respond. Honestly I cannot recommend as much as I'd like. I'm not sure if it's because I was using a 1 meter long tubing but it's really weak! At 20" depth it would not blow any bubbles. Also it was not as quiet as I thought it would be. If a Whisper 40 pump is say 20db this is at least 15. Also, since it was so weak it caused the bubbles coming out of my wavemaker to make more noise. I would not recommend this little air pump for anything but the most basic use, say a small air stone like the 2 that were included in a very small aquarium. Maybe 10-30 gallons. In the end I ordered a whisper 40 and hid it inside the cabinet on the side of the aquarium. It was very practical hanging on the side of the aquarium though I think the single headed one might be a better buy, both stronger and quieter than the maxI version.

Dori.anne

Thanks! I actually am looking for a single outlet one for a 10 gallon. We are very space challenged so being able to stick it to the tank is a big plus., so I may try it.

easywolf31

Thanks! I actually am looking for a single outlet one for a 10 gallon. We are very space challenged so being able to stick it to the tank is a big plus., so I may try it.
I think that will be perfect for you than. If you can attach it somehow behind the aquarium even better. I still feel like keeping it, kinda regret having to send it back to Amazon.

Enferno8

right here is what you want. They're perfect for a regular 10 gallon aquarium. There's not a ton of flow but more than enough to run a small sponge filter or just the stone that it comes with. I have 4 in total, all been running since December.

Lisa S

I really like my Tetra Whisper. It was much quieter than the the other air pump I had.

easywolf31

The Tetra Whisper 40 I ordered seems ok and much more powerful than the little suction cup one but noisier obviously. I just ordered a Tom Stellar 60 to 100 gallon for a new tank, curious to see if it's quiter.

Dori.anne

So I already had a whisper 10, and I ordered and received the suction cup one (it was the slightly cheaper one that Enferno8 linked to). It is quiteter than the whisper 10, but my whisper is several years old. It's not as powerful, but actually it's just what I need. I didn't want too much bubbling. I am using it to power a very small sponge filter that is just supplemental filtration on a 10 gallon. Love that it sticks to the tank.

Here's what I realized though: it's really the bubbles that make more noise than the filter. Yes, the humming of the whisper 10 is a little louder than the little suction cup pump, but the air bubbles from the whisper, because it's more powerful, are noisier. It also depends on the size of the bubbles. When I first set up the sponge filter it was really loud because I wasn't using an airstone with it (the sponge filter is really small and not meant to be used with an airstone). I ended up doing some hacking to the cage of the sponge filter in order to jam an airstone inside, and it made the whole thing quieter. However, my airstone is just a standard cheap one. I want to get a different airstone that creates even smaller bubbles, and I think it will be even quieter.
I also found that when the sponge filter was pushed up against the glass, there was more vibration noise, but quieter when it's pulled away from the glass.

I think we focus so much on the pump, when so much more of the noise is really from whatever the pump is powering.

That's my 2 cents!

CarrieFisher

I just installed an air stone using a Whisper10 to power it and it is QUIET!!!!
I'm don't even hear it over the trickle of water coming from my AquaClear70

Lisa S

After using my Tetra Whisper (60 gallon) for a couple months now, I have to say it's pretty quiet. I have it on a shelf on sponges in my aquarium stand. It's in my bedroom, and I barely hear it now. Way better than the first pump I had.

easywolf31

Hey guys so didn't like the Tom Stellar much though it's pretty powerful. I ordered a this HTML class. Value is Pawfly Air pump with 2 outlets for 20$ Canadian from Amazon and it's perfect. Has power, is quieter, comes with fizzs, check valves, airline, airstones...I liked it so much I just ordered another 6.

Dolfan

My Tetra Whisper 40 is pretty quiet. The 60 is semI quiet, but the larger 100 is a bit too loud. I think there just isn't much you can do about a larger/stronger pump, it's gonna make noise. So I prefer my smaller quieter pump, it does a pretty good job running my sponge filter.

VoldaFisch

I bought a cheap air pump online, of the Aqua Culture brand and it is almost silent. With my other air pumps I put foam or a towel underneath and it makes it quieter.

Mckendo

I have Aqueon QuietFlow 10 and 20 models, as well as whisper 10 and 40 models.

I found the whisper 40 to be noisy, BUT that was partially due to where I had to place it (corner, so sound reverberated off two walls, a cabinet, and the tank).
I switched it out for the Aqueon 20, but had to place the 20 on a doubled over face cloth to dampen the vibrations.

Of the four pumps I have, the whisper 10 is the only one that doesn't annoy me.

Agreed- it has a lot to do with placement of the generator

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
DoraCory
Replies
Views
Dennis57
Replies
Views
jmaldo
Replies