Do quarantine and hospital tanks need to be cycled?

mastersafara

Reaction score
Do quarantine tanks and hospital tanks need cycled filters? I imagine the quarantine tank does, but what about the hospital tank? If you’re treating sick, injured or diseased fish and medicating them, some medications I’ve seen say to remove the activated carbon thereby simply making the filter just an aerater, which in the case of a hospital tank, it’s a good thing so that none of the medications get filtered out of the water. Did I get that right? And the quarantine tank is simply used, overall, as an observation tank as a precaution in case fish develop problems.

Amazoniantanklvr

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yes, please cycle ALL tanks. Carbon isn't the only form of filtration. A cycled sponge is needed for all tanks. Medications will go right through the sponge.

Deku-Cory

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yes, it needs to be cycled. I keep a sponge filter running in my tank so I have a cycled filter I can easily move. Then I have carbon pads for removing medication when needed.

TWiG87

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Just for clarification..Your filter, whether it’s a HOB or canister needs more media in it than just carbon. There needs to be some mechanical and biological filtration as well. Wether that’s through sponges or specialized media to house the beneficial bacteria. Those items need to always be present in a cycled tank.

Amazoniantanklvr

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Well if the sponge is cycled and you can move it into the hospital tank that you will be fine.

yinoma2001

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
What do people do with the sponge that was in the QT tank? Wouldn't putting it right back into another non-QT tank risk exposing that tank to whatever may have been in the QT tank? Do folks try to sterilize the QT tank sponge?

aoiumi

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
yinoma2001 said:
What do people do with the sponge that was in the QT tank? Wouldn't putting it right back into another non-QT tank risk exposing that tank to whatever may have been in the QT tank? Do folks try to sterilize the QT tank sponge?
Well, if you're putting the fish from the Qt into a community tank than you better be certain that there is nothing wrong with that fish - which means there is also nothing wrong with the tank or filter.

If the fish gets sick, and medication doesn't help, then yes, you would bleach the tank and filter, and possibly just toss the filter.

yinoma2001

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
aoiumi said:
Well, if you're putting the fish from the Qt into a community tank than you better be certain that there is nothing wrong with that fish - which means there is also nothing wrong with the tank or filter.

If the fish gets sick, and medication doesn't help, then yes, you would bleach the tank and filter, and possibly just toss the filter.
Yeah. I'm wrapping up my QT for a fish (no signs of any problems) so I'm about to rinse in tank water and bring that back to the main tank.

OP
M

mastersafara

Reaction score
TWiG87 said:
Just for clarification..Your filter, whether it’s a HOB or canister needs more media in it than just carbon. There needs to be some mechanical and biological filtration as well. Wether that’s through sponges or specialized media to house the beneficial bacteria. Those items need to always be present in a cycled tank.
I don’t have a cycled filter and my fish are suffering. One is on the brink of death it appears. It’s a pea puffer that’s very skinny and I think has parasitic worms at the very least. I want to try to save him. I just found him in his tank after he’d been hiding for over 12 hours and he’s very dark in color compared to normal and his only tank mate (another pea puffer) attacked him twice while I was watching. I have a 5.5 gallon reserve tank I can set up to put him in but I have no cycle filter for it. A fish store I know sells cycled filters. Is that my best bet to attempt to save it’s life??

CichlidJynx

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I personally don’t believe it needs to be cycled. We shouldn't be feeding that often while in QT so when waste is found we can removed (lowering the chances of internal parasites to hatch) I believe if your using an HOB filter and you have the chance to cycle the media then sure but with a sponge filter and maintenance you shouldn’t have a problem keeping up with the tank

ystrout

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
mastersafara said:
I don’t have a cycled filter and my fish are suffering. One is on the brink of death it appears. It’s a pea puffer that’s very skinny and I think has parasitic worms at the very least. I want to try to save him. I just found him in his tank after he’d been hiding for over 12 hours and he’s very dark in color compared to normal and his only tank mate (another pea puffer) attacked him twice while I was watching. I have a 5.5 gallon reserve tank I can set up to put him in but I have no cycle filter for it. A fish store I know sells cycled filters. Is that my best bet to attempt to save it’s life??
What are you feeding them? Is he eating?

I also have pea puffers. Sometimes they come with worms but those are easy to treat with parasite meds.

OP
M

mastersafara

Reaction score
ystrout said:
What are you feeding them? Is he eating?

I also have pea puffers. Sometimes they come with worms but those are easy to treat with parasite meds.
He ate very little yesterday. I fed him with planting tweezers holding a single bloodworm while I watched him nibble at it. I medicated the bloodworms with general cure and seachem focus.

Snailerator

Reaction score
mastersafara said:
Do quarantine tanks and hospital tanks need cycled filters? I imagine the quarantine tank does, but what about the hospital tank? If you’re treating sick, injured or diseased fish and medicating them, some medications I’ve seen say to remove the activated carbon thereby simply making the filter just an aerater, which in the case of a hospital tank, it’s a good thing so that none of the medications get filtered out of the water. Did I get that right? And the quarantine tank is simply used, overall, as an observation tank as a precaution in case fish develop problems.
100% yes. If fish live in it than yes

OP
M

mastersafara

Reaction score
So back on the topic of the cycled filters... Are they sold with JUST the filter pad containing activated carbon? Meaning I still need to buy mechanical and biological media and add it to each filter?

This is all my filters have... they’re top fin filters with just a pad that has activated carbon. I guess I’m missing mechanical and biological media???

Can someone who knows recommend what I need for these filters as far as media please.

I thought I restarted my nitrogen cycle a few days ago when I found out I halted the whole thing because I added ammo lock to neutralize a small trace of ammonia. So I had to restart it by getting rid of the ammo lock by doing 30% water changes in each tank. But my filters still don’t have the proper filtration media apparently. They only have filter pads. I really have this whole thing wrong but I’m trying to correct it as fast as I can.

Attachments

Brizburk

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
mastersafara said:
You can take the media from your main tank and swish it around in the QT tank to jump start the cycle. A sponge filter in the QT will be sufficient.

mastersafara said:
So back on the topic of the cycled filters... Are they sold with JUST the filter pad containing activated carbon? Meaning I still need to buy mechanical and biological media and add it to each filter?

This is all my filters have... they’re top fin filters with just a pad that has activated carbon. I guess I’m missing mechanical and biological media???

Can someone who knows recommend what I need for these filters as far as media please.

I thought I restarted my nitrogen cycle a few days ago when I found out I halted the whole thing because I added ammo lock to neutralize a small trace of ammonia. So I had to restart it by getting rid of the ammo lock by doing 30% water changes in each tank. But my filters still don’t have the proper filtration media apparently. They only have filter pads. I really have this whole thing wrong but I’m trying to correct it as fast as I can.
The photo shows what the filter comes with. I don't use carbon. I use filter floss, you can buy that specific for filters or buy some less expensive cotton or polyester batting from a fabric store (mostly the same thing). If you're more comfortable with aquarium made items just buy the filter pads, non carbon. Carbon will remove meds from the water but must be replaced frequently. I like porous media, ceramic ring or the like in the filter with the filter floss. I also highly recommend a prefilter sponge on the intake of your filter. Keeps little critters out like small fish.

Don't change out your media all at once, replace just a small portion only when it starts to deteriorate. What I'll do is swish the old media into the tank to help seed the new media. Again only changing part of it. Good filter media will last a very long time.

Try giving your puffer snails. Small ramshorns and pon snails

OP
M

mastersafara

Reaction score
Brizburk said:
You can take the media from your main tank and swish it around in the QT tank to jump start the cycle. A sponge filter in the QT will be sufficient.
Unfortunately I don’t have an established filter at all let alone a sponge filter. I have new tank syndrome in all my tanks at the moment. Do you know if the nitrogen cycle is at least working with the bare minimum my filters are set up with? The top fin silent stream stock filters that come with the tank kits I bought only have cartridge and bio-grid. Is that alone enough for the nitrogen cycle to work? Or do I need to restart the process once I have the proper filter setup?

New Threads