Do pregnant platies eat other fish fry that isn't their own?

Boxis

Hi there! I have an aquarium with around 10 or so platies alongside some other fish. I have a breeding box that is already currently occupied by some other fish fry. Recently, another one of my platies is pregnant! I want to put this platy in the breeding box so that the fry will survive, but I'm worried that the platy will eat the fish fry that are already there. Is this something I should be concerned about? Or are pregnant platies consistently passive with other fish fry? The platy is expected to give birth overnight, and I can't exactly stay up all night and rescue the fry as they are being released. A response rather soon would be much appreciated!

mrsP

Yes. Most fishes, includin platys, eat any fry that they can catch, including their own.

Upvote 0

Flyfisha

Any small fish that can fit in a bigger fishes mouth that they can catch is considered food.

I suggest you get up 30 minutes early and catch whatever fry you can. All the females will drop more fry than you can deal with. You will soon have dozens. Use the box just for fry.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
kallililly1973
Replies
Views
CheshireKat
Replies
Views
Fishy McGee