Do Pond Snails Serve A Purpose?

AJE

Fishlore VIP
Are pond snails useless? I say they are food sources for many species. While others ValerieAdams say they are useless

Advertisement
they eat algae and decaying plant matter, so they're a cleanup crew. I suppose the waste they create can be used as nutrients for plants. plus the food source thingy.

Advertisement
puffer boi They come free with plants, then you can start a puffer tank.

I like any and every snail in my jarrarium. Don’t care which kind. I have loads of pond snails in there right now

Advertisement
lol, just because you don't like them doesn't change the fact that they do have a use

Well right now they’re doing nothing for me but taking up a couple gallons of water and laying eggs everywhere and trying to infest my entire life so if you consider that useful...

Advertisement
Every thing has a purpose. I am even hoping to get pond snails

every time I get plants from my lfs, I secretly pray for them to have snails so I can add them to my snail tank. last two batches didn't have any just an empty mts shell.

pond snails are actually amazing cleaners but they reproduce too easily and quickly so not many like them

I hope someday I get some then I’ll just put them in a bin outside and when the population gets big enough, I’ll start a puffer tank

I have a feeling val unwatched this thread
I wish there was a dislike button

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know about pond snails, but mosquitoes are truly worthless creatures. Not everything deserves to live. Try living near a swamp for a month, and you'll understand. I did, and I probably looked like a crazy person during those awful days.

Who in their right mind hopes to get them?! I literally tore down my entire tank, let it sit dry for 24 hours, and I have found 20 in the past two days!!!!! Which doesn't count the 30+ I have in their own tank from already pulling them out, and the 6+ egg clutches they have in there. They are unkillable! Pretty soon I think they're even going to infest my dreams.

I have a feeling val unwatched this thread
Nah, I was just sleeping

Advertisement

I want to start a pea puffer tank
Who in their right mind hopes to get them?! I literally tore down my entire tank, let it sit dry for 24 hours, and I have found 20 in the past two days!!!!! Which doesn't count the 30+ I have in their own tank from already pulling them out, and the 6+ egg clutches they have in there. They are unkillable! Pretty soon I think they're even going to infest my dreams.

Nah, I was just sleeping

Useless & disgusting. Ramshorns could be used as a good source in place of them. Or any other snail for that matter. [/USER] Zoomo
Here here, clap clap. They are disgusting. Only use for them IMO is squishing them and that can be stress relieving and feeding other fish. Disgusting. Thanks ValerieAdams
Well right now they’re doing nothing for me but taking up a couple gallons of water and laying eggs everywhere and trying to infest my entire life so if you consider that useful...
I am seeing quite a few more lately, so probably will be doing ANOTHER tank tear-down and BLEACHING. I pulled a plastic plant out this week because I kept finding big ones on it, and when I took it out the entire underside of the leaves had disgusting jelly eggs.
Get an assasin snail
I have 10 assassin snails and I do not see them even near these pond snails. I even watched one crawl right past one. Maybe my Assassins are babies and are too small, but all they seem to do is bury in the gravel and hang out with each other. Waste of my money so far. How big do Assassins get by the way? Really thinking of getting Loaches to try them out but I have mystery snails and I worry they will eat them. The assassins don't touch my mystery snails YET.
pond snails are actually amazing cleaners but they reproduce too easily and quickly so not many like them
Yup they sure do and their babies are like coffee grinds on the side of your tank.

I want to put a few Ramshorn in my 40G but these pond snails have me so disgusted that I am afraid of what the Ramshorns will do, how fast they multiply, etc.

Nah, I was just sleeping

I have horrible nightmares about them infesting the cities septic system. Like when I clean my tanks, one or 2 have to have gone down the drain, and what if they get into the septic system and completely overpopulate it and then there is no room for waste or water and they start overflowing into the streets until the entire city is taken over by pond snails. I despise them. When I turn the lights off my 40G tank for bed, I envision them waiting for the light to go out so that they can come out and mate, lay eggs, hang out on my mystery snails, laugh at me, snicker, etc.

I actually have a ramshorn 3 gallon tank I am putting together for the few I have gotten on my plants. Had been truly debating letting them go in my 20 gallon but I have 12 nerites in there so I don't really want the rams to block the beauty of the nerites. I really like them so far, I caught two mating the other night and thought it was fascinating! I wish I could have the guts to put them in the 20 but the population boom scares me...

People are offended on behalf of snails Now if we were only this concerned about each other’s feelings, what could we accomplish? World Peace?

#SnailLivesMatterToo

I have 10 and I do not see them even near these pond snails. I even watched one crawl right past one. Maybe my Assassins are babies and are too small, but all they seem to do is bury in the and hang out with each other. Waste of my money so far. How big do Assassins get by the way? Really thinking of getting Loaches to try them out but I have and I worry they will eat them. The assassins don't touch my mystery snails YET.

Dwarf Chain Loaches won't be able to eat them, might harass them a bit though. I've never had to worry about snails, I actually breed them and regularly add them to the tank for my Chain Loaches.

Guess you have to way up what's more important Mystery snails or not having pest snails

Dwarf Chain Loaches won't be able to eat them, might harass them a bit though. I've never had to worry about snails, I actually breed them and regularly add them to the tank for my Chain Loaches.

Guess you have to way up what's more important Mystery snails or not having pest snails
That is what I did when I bought the Assassins, because some say they will attack the Mystery snails, and I decided I had to take the chance. But, they do not go near the Mystery snails. The Mystery snails are like 4 or 5 times their size, maybe even more. So, at some point probably will have to make that decision again and if I see issues, will have to move the mystery snails elsewhere, but where is the problem. At this point, the only place I have to put them is a tiny 3 gallon tank, a 5.3 gallon tank (for 10 Mystery snails this is not going to work and water will be filthy), or 5 gallon buckets I have. Might put one in with each Betta but they are such piggies waste wise, don't want to muck up the Betta water.

Advertisement

That is what I did when I bought the Assassins, because some say they will attack the Mystery snails, and I decided I had to take the chance. But, they do not go near the Mystery snails. The Mystery snails are like 4 or 5 times their size, maybe even more. So, at some point probably will have to make that decision again and if I see issues, will have to move the mystery snails elsewhere, but where is the problem. At this point, the only place I have to put them is a tiny 3 gallon tank, a 5.3 gallon tank (for 10 Mystery snails this is not going to work and water will be filthy), or 5 gallon buckets I have. Might put one in with each Betta but they are such piggies waste wise, don't want to muck up the Betta water.

...Get another tank??

Yup they sure do and their babies are like coffee grinds on the side of your tank.

I want to put a few Ramshorn in my 40G but these pond snails have me so disgusted that I am afraid of what the Ramshorns will do, how fast they multiply, etc.[/USER]
haha yes they are like coffee grinds and just as annoying to see everywhere. I love ramshorns, they are interesting, cute and silly snails but sadly they breed too easily for me. otherwise id love to keep some in my tank.

Welp today is water change day and there have been snails everywhere AGAIN, with 10 assassin snails, doing nothing. So, I will be pulling everything out, all plants, ornaments, decorations, filter (except the media), and probably will pull the gravel out and bleach the heck out of it. I wish I had other substrate because I would replace what is in my tank if I did. I just don't know what to do with the fish for 3 hours or more while I do that. It is such a shame too, water is crystal clear, parameters are perfect, fish seem happy. Just cannot stand these things in my tank.

Congratulations! You just offended 63million pond snails by saying "They are useless"
Yeah, and they're all in the same 10 gallon tank.

Zoomo, put some zucchinI or other vegetable in the tank as bait. When they get all over it, pull it out and dispose of it.

Zoomo, put some zucchinI or other vegetable in the tank as bait. When they get all over it, pull it out and dispose of it.
It does not work. Tried it quite a few times. Even made little bait things with water bottles that I saw online to work. They have got to go for good.

I keep trying to not worry so much over them but each time I see one, I think about all the others that must be there and the eggs everywhere. They are going to make me MAHHHHHDDDDDDD.

...Get another tank??

Yeah, no. Enough tanks, enough tanks, enough tanks. I am done. Enough tanks. No more tanks. I am too old for all this back breaking work. I am about to start doing all my water changes with a back injury all by myself at 2:23 am because of these snails and I just cannot wait for my son to wake up to help me and he hates helping me anyway.

It does not work. Tried it quite a few times. Even made little bait things with water bottles that I saw online to work. They have got to go for good.

I keep trying to not worry so much over them but each time I see one, I think about all the others that must be there and the eggs everywhere. They are going to make me MAHHHHHDDDDDDD.

Yeah, no. Enough tanks, enough tanks, enough tanks. I am done. Enough tanks. No more tanks. I am too old for all this back breaking work. I am about to start doing all my water changes with a back injury all by myself at 2:23 am because of these snails and I just cannot wait for my son to wake up to help me and he hates helping me anyway.

Sorry to hear about your back, hope you get rid of them for good

Yeah, and they're all in the same 10 gallon tank.

Lettuce leaf worked for me. I put them in my frog pond but they’re too dumb to stay there. Just have to visit the fish pond. Snail snax.

Yeah lettuce may have 1 or 2 snails on it the next day.

I am currently filling my tank. Took out all the fish, in a bucket. Took out everything, soaked in bleach, still soaking have to rinse off in prime treated water next. But, I took apart my canister filter and hang on back filter and both were pretty much infested with pest snails, so they will be back because I was not soaking my filter media in bleach. Rinsed it all off in tank water best I could and put it all back together and let's hope for the best. I think next step is taking all snails and any fish I can hurt with copper out and see if that helps. I just do not know the procedure for that so have to look it up, how long it needs to run in the tank through the filters, etc., before I can put snails and what not back in.

ValerieAdams do not take apart your canister filter, you will be upset.

The way you are describing your Assassin snails makes me wonder. Do they have black and yellow striped shells or are they solid black? If they're just black they are not Assassins but probably Trumpets. The shell shape is very similar on both. If they are true Assassins and are not eating the other snails, that's just weird.

The way you are describing your Assassin snails makes me wonder. Do they have black and yellow striped shells or are they solid black? If they're just black they are not Assassins but probably Trumpets. The shell shape is very similar on both. If they are true Assassins and are not eating the other snails, that's just weird.
They are black and yellow, look a lot like MTS snails but bigger and striped. I just got them on August 1st, and they were very small but never had them before so do not know how big they get. They literally just hang out together, 2 or 3 here, 1 here, 2 here, on the gravel, in the gravel. I picked one up once and put it right before a pest snail and it just crawled past it. They are so boring. Do not even hang on the side of the tank much.

s-l500.jpg

Advertisement

They are black and yellow, look a lot like MTS snails but bigger and striped. I just got them on August 1st, and they were very small but never had them before so do not know how big they get. They literally just hang out together, 2 or 3 here, 1 here, 2 here, on the gravel, in the gravel. I picked one up once and put it right before a pest snail and it just crawled past it. They are so boring. Do not even hang on the side of the tank much.
View attachment 471358
Yep that is definitely an Assassin. It's very strange that they are not feasting on the pond snails.

Yep that is definitely an Assassin. It's very strange that they are not feasting on the pond snails.
I think they are babies. The pic is what I got off the Ebay sale where I bought them but mine are tiny. I will try to get a picture. Does it matter if they are babies? Some of the pond snails can be half their size?

IMG_1516.JPG
IMG_1512.JPG

I really don't know. I've never had assassins but I have read stories about them ganging up and killing snails much bigger than them. All I have read depicts them as very predatory.

I really don't know. I've never had assassins but I have read stories about them ganging up and killing snails much bigger than them. All I have read depicts them as very predatory.
Yeah, not so much mine. Thanks!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
SawyerDawn
Replies
Views
LMO
  • Question
Replies
Views
Sorg67